HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2001, 02:02 AM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
Swing-Plus @ RC Hi-Country

Has anyone flown this? What would be the best Direct and Geared Set-up for this glider with the minimal cost in mind ?

chrisc is offline Find More Posts by chrisc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2001, 08:40 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
I do not know which way the plane is advertised in Canada but here they anounce it to be good for nearly any motor from a small speed to a plettenberg.
They also say that it is nice for beginners and competition pilots.

In my opinion this is definately not true as the left and right part of the wing are connected with 2 small wires each!! They are easy to bend and do not stand much.

It is a nice plane for floating around and thermal flying but not for slightly higher speeds! Be careful with it then!!

The best about it is it's look!!

I sold mine after 2 flights because I was afraid of breaking it during flight and have talked to others who are of the same opinion!

If it is anounced to be a thermal plane for calm flying it is a good choice.

Eike
http://www.schunternet.de/~eike
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Apr 28, 2001, 09:22 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
I would agree. This plane is made by Gerasis in the Czech Republic. We used to carry them but the spar is inadequate and the wings are a bit too weak so we dropped them. Look at the spar structure. The spar should be full depth I beam construction.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Apr 28, 2001, 11:26 AM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
Thanks for the input. Perhaps I should use a smaller motor on this, like a Speed 480 Geared?

I have an Ultra 800 standing-by for this plane. I am not into competition flying but more like long thermals.

I used to have a model called the "Bella" manufactured by Gerasis but I found it VERY difficult to install the Radio and ESC and servos and also the batteries as everything seems to be very tight fit.

Flying was equally demanding as it was very sensitive to any controls.

[This message has been edited by chrisc (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old Apr 28, 2001, 02:54 PM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
I plan to use an Ultra 800 as a Direct Drive for this sailplane.

Your website is in German !!!
Old Apr 29, 2001, 12:30 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
The plane is ok for thermal flying. I used a Speed 600 for the first testing and was fed up afterwards so I sold it as I bought the plane as a hotliner. The speed was planed for first testing and I wanted more but it was already more then enough.

If you use a geared 480 or something like that you can also use smaller bateries and reduce the weight even further.

If you optimise the plane this way it will be even better.
If the plane does not have to carry the weight of a hotliner the weak wing will propably do not bother you that much as it bothered me either.

Eike
http://www.schunternet.de/~eike

[This message has been edited by plinse (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old Apr 29, 2001, 04:42 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
It has an english/american part if you follow the link on the left side (the american flag).
I wrote something about the plane at: RC-Models->Planes (on the bottom of the page are the former ones).

Be careful flying the plane with that motor. You will be able to break it during flight. The wing is not strong enough to use it as a hotliner!

Eike
http://www.schunternet.de/~eike/

[This message has been edited by plinse (edited 04-29-2001).]