HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
565 Posts
Discussion
one balance port for different battery (2S,3S....6S)

Hi
I can't connect balance plug of my new Lipo (2SLipo) battery (don't fit) to the extension plug socket which I got with charger Triton EQ.
But I can connect balance plug of same battery direct to the charger.
Question is:
1. is this good way to go and
2. can we use 6S balance port (with 7 pin contacts) on the charger to balance and charge 2 S Lipo or 3S Lipo or 4SLipo or 5S Lipo or 6SLipo, which we like to use?- off course if plug fit to socket!

With the other words:
Same socket for balancing on the charger for different battery (2S,3S,4S,5S,6S)

Thanks a lot, boris
vigli is online now Find More Posts by vigli
Last edited by vigli; Nov 30, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:56 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,122 Posts
No problem doing that provided the wiring of the battery balance connector is in the correct order and you connect it the right way round to the correct end of the balance port on the charger.

I change all my battery balance connectors to JST EH type as that lets me do just what you suggest i.e. plug a 3 pin connector into a 7 pin port. So my charger extension leads all have 7 pins and my battery has whatever pin count it needs.

Be aware though that there is a lot of room for accidents in doing that if you don't know exactly what you are doing .
Manufacturers don't chose their plug systems just to annoy people, they do it to try and make it safe for the majority of people who may not be electrical engineers.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Nov 30, 2013, 04:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
565 Posts
hi Dick
Thanks for answer.
I have 2S Lipo- 3 wire plug

Which way to connect battery in balance port :
Red wire (plus) to go on the most left part of the port or
Black wire (minus) on the most right part of the port ???

thanks a lot,

boris
Last edited by vigli; Nov 30, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 04:32 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,122 Posts
I don't know your charger so I can't say which way round you need to plug it in.
With my own chargers I work it out by following the standard connector wires, or by using a meter.

A 2s lipo only needs a 3 wire balance connector, so I don't know how your 4 wire plug is connected.

If you don't know how to work it out it is probably not a good idea to be trying to do it on your own. You need someone with the relevant knowledge to explain it to you as they do it for you first time. No offense meant, but it can be dangerous.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Nov 30, 2013, 05:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
565 Posts
Thx Dick
I wrote e-mail to manufacturer.
My charger is Triton EQ.
From this photo port in the charger red wire (plus) goes far to left
http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/g...-inset2-lg.jpg

PS
When You connect 3 pin (2S Lipo) connector in 7 pin balance port do You plug in first 3 slots or in last 3 slots -far left or far right?
Does this difference will show on screen as information which cells you are charging and balancing as:

3,9V 3,9V 0,0V
0,0V 0,0V 0,0V

or

0,0V 0,0V 0,0V
0,0V 3,9V 3,9V

Thanks
Last edited by vigli; Nov 30, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 08:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
you must connect your battery to the same pins that correspond on the adapter to numbers 1 2 3 4, i.e. to the black wires opposite to the red wire.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 30, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2010
565 Posts
Renato
Is number 1 pin Minus polarity?
So in my case would be :
1pin is Minus and 3 pin is Plus. Correct?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 09:38 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
actually, the extremes are the most minus and plus, and the intermediate are both
Yes, 1 is the "minus-est" minus, while 2 is the plus of first cell and minus of 2nd cell and so on.
For 3s, 4th is the final plus
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Apr 2010
565 Posts
Thanks
I plug in charger 2S Lipo, as You said and use enter which correspondent number in 1,2,3 pin enter.
And charger show me on screen voltage on two cells (as first and second).
Start to charging.....:_)
It charge little bit one then little bit other cell, then again little bit first then little bit second cell....
Is this normal way of charging Lipo? Thanks
boris
PS
Never charged Lipo on smart charger
Last edited by vigli; Nov 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM.