HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
562 Posts
Discussion
stabilizers

Are flight stabilizers known for prematurely wearing out servo's?
Since fitting an Orange v2 ,which work's very well by the way, two of the cheap servo's in my Easyfly glider seized up.
While in use the servo's are certainly working hard which I'm wondering may also mean so is the U-bec? Any thoughts?
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:23 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,084 Posts
May be the poor quality servos. Iv'e been using HXT 900s and 500s in planes for a few yrs now with the HK gyros and havn't toasted one yet. Yes they do put more wear on the servos and higher current draw from the BEC, so make sure to get a BEC that has a little higher current capability than your used to. The batt also runs down a little sooner because of the higher current draw. I had to change the timer by 30 seconds less to keep a little more voltage at the end of a run. The stability in the wind is well worth it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:38 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
322 Posts
I've seen folks theorize that stabilizers wear out servos faster... as the constant corrections make them chatter more than normal. This may be true, but I think the effect must be subtle at worst. I've been flying two ET Guardians and an Orange on relatively cheap planes (with relatively cheap servos)... and have seen *no* signs of distress. The servos surely wiggle on their own as the plane is buffeted by the breeze... but nothing like the travel they get out of my constant stick movements.

Cheap servos are cheap servos. You're going to see a higher percentage of these fail early, compared to nicer units. I'm not inclined to blame a gyro for their demise.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:29 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,451 Posts
Unless you really need a stabilizer system because the model is hard to fly, I would say remove it.

You will save weight, quite probably save on servo wear, and potentially save a model if a servo fails in flight.

I have been around RC flying for years, (Ok I'm experienced now), we never had or needed stabilizer to aid teaching or for beginners to learn with.

They seem to becoming a crutch for learning, (must fit a stabilizer, Safe system, etc etc).

Take the darn thing out and enjoy leaning, improving, and mastering RC flight.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,084 Posts
Not a crutch by any means. When the wind is blowing enough for students to put their planes away, those with gyros installed continue their lessons. It's just a stabilizer when the sticks are still. They can still do their circuits, figure eight, loops, touch and goes,etc, as though there was little wind blowing. My 3D foamies, including the 14 in. Beast will handle 10 mph winds with no problems.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 31, 2013, 09:26 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,448 Posts
Yea, People have this misconception of 3 axis stabilizers that the gyros somehow fly the plane for you.... A 3 axis gyro isn't suddenly going to give someone the skill to fly a plane they couldn't fly without it. All it does is take wind and, to some extent, gravity out of the equation (to a point), so the plane does only what you tell it to do, and ignores mother nature.
You are flying it more and fighting the wind less, fly a plane without the stabilizer on a windless day, and it will fly the same as a 3 axis equipped plane on a windy day....

It takes a 6 axis setup to actually fly the plane for you (3 gyros + 3 accelerometers), like the apprentice S and upcoming hobbyzone delta ray....

There should be a rule, unless you have actually flown a 3 axis gyro, you cant tell others about it, because YOU DON'T KNOW, all you can do is make assumptions, and we all know what happens when we make assumptions, right?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Unless you really need a stabilizer system because the model is hard to fly, I would say remove it.

You will save weight, quite probably save on servo wear, and potentially save a model if a servo fails in flight.

I have been around RC flying for years, (Ok I'm experienced now), we never had or needed stabilizer to aid teaching or for beginners to learn with.

They seem to becoming a crutch for learning, (must fit a stabilizer, Safe system, etc etc).

Take the darn thing out and enjoy leaning, improving, and mastering RC flight.
I fitted the stabilizer because this is my fpv donkey and I want to enjoy the ride with a better quality video to go home and view afterwards.
Ican turn it off from the tx when not carrying fpv kit but quite honestly I rarely do because It's a joy to fly this plane with it on and a twitchy pig with it off !
I don't however, use them in any of my other planes
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe