HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2013, 07:03 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
Have fun guys!

I'll make it back there sometime when the schedule allows.

Lenny
we'd be glad to see you Lenny, much easier than F5B, today though the air was all over the place

one heat so high we were afraid of losing planes and hard to get down on time and the next I got a 1000 with a 4:46 because of the sink

Philip
pocket rocket is offline Find More Posts by pocket rocket
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2013, 07:40 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
548 Posts
Standings after day 1:
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2013, 11:00 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
1,870 Posts
thanks Rocky

now ready to do it again tomorrow

Philip
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:37 AM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket rocket View Post
thanks Rocky

now ready to do it again tomorrow

Philip
At least I'll have my transmitter today, thanks again Dave for letting me borrow your backup

See you guys in a few hours!
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
548 Posts
Final results

Thanks to everyone that made this event a success!
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:49 PM
Albuquerque, nm
Joined Aug 2004
64 Posts
Scoring F5J 2013

Thank you so much for scoring the contest, Rocky. You made it seem so easy!
Tandberg is online now Find More Posts by Tandberg
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
We had a very successful F5J contest this past weekend. There was lots of good air, lively competition, nice weather, flyers helping flyers, new flyers to the contest, and neat airplanes. Thanks to all the helpers and especially to the flyers that made this contest fun one. Also, thanks to the out-of-state flyers who attended.

Richard Dick
Coordinator
RDDickNM is offline Find More Posts by RDDickNM
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Thanks for an awesome time guys! Thanks for traveling to our event!

Charlene and Dave, great to meet and fly with you guys. I rather like that Mandarin Charlene. I was surprised it has such a low wing loading (found figures in the middle-6 oz/ft^2), and with those AG airfoils it seems the perfect tool to pull off some of those saves, very nicely done. Dave, nice airplanes although I don't know anything about them.

Here are some photos Buzz took at the event.

-Matt
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:14 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
1,870 Posts
thanks ASA for another great event, weather was fantastic, pouring with rain here in AZ

that's my eleventh year now

we flew 12 rounds and had different air each time

thanks to Dennis for that great call under the cloud that got my plane way way up there in the last round of Unlimited, made up for all the other flights that didn't stay up

congrats to Matt for his great flying, he only had 2.5m in Unlimited and a Radian in Limited, flew with a borrowed Tx all of Saturday and outflew us all

I'll be back next year for more of this

Philip
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Feb 2003
218 Posts
Reichard Mandarin 3.6m ALES-LMR-F5J

Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop View Post
Thanks for an awesome time guys! Thanks for traveling to our event!

Charlene and Dave, great to meet and fly with you guys. I rather like that Mandarin Charlene. I was surprised it has such a low wing loading (found figures in the middle-6 oz/ft^2), and with those AG airfoils it seems the perfect tool to pull off some of those saves, very nicely done. Dave, nice airplanes although I don't know anything about them.

Here are some photos Buzz took at the event.

-Matt
Any more comments on the flying characteristics of the Mandarin..?

best regards,

Alberto
hobbyclub.com
hobbyclub is offline Find More Posts by hobbyclub
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
496 Posts
The Mandarin flys good and it's not set-up correctly yet. It was assembled quickly and only flown twice before going to the contest. Both flaps are on a y-connector and a six channel receiver. Flaps are just on or off for now. With a better transmitter (DX7s right now) and a better receiver the flying qualities would be improved. It does not have camber or any thing else right now.

The Mandarin is straight forward build and even so I goofed up the pushrods. It has the elevator and rudder servo in the tail (Hyperion DS09) and it works fine. The motor is a Hyperion outrunner with a 12x6 prop. With a 3s 2650 battery it still need a couple of ounces nose weight. Also I'm just using a Turnigy esc and never could get the motor brake to work so it windmilled for 20 or so seconds.

The wings did not need any lateral balancing, they are both very close to the same weight. The sailplane assembled will just sit upright on its own. I did manage to overspeed it a couple of times and could see balanced left and right wing twist (flutter) a bit. It was still controllable and easy to just reduce speed. Its a relaxing sailplane to fly and very easy to see way up there. The circling speed was about the same as the local buzzards flying around here.

Overall its a lot of bang for the buck.
TreeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TreeFlyer
Last edited by TreeFlyer; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Feb 2003
218 Posts
Reichard Mandarin 3.6m ALES-LMR-F5J

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFlyer View Post
The Mandarin flys good and it's not set-up correctly yet. It was assembled quickly and only flown twice before going to the contest. Both flaps are on a y-connector and a six channel receiver. Flaps are just on or off for now. With a better transmitter (DX7s right now) and a better receiver the flying qualities would be improved. It does not have camber or any thing else right now.

The Mandarin is straight forward build and even so I goofed up the pushrods. It has the elevator and rudder servo in the tail (Hyperion DS09) and it works fine. The motor is a Hyperion outrunner with a 12x6 prop. With a 3s 2650 battery it still need a couple of ounces nose weight. Also I'm just using a Turnigy esc and never could get the motor brake to work so it windmilled for 20 or so seconds.

The wings did not need any lateral balancing, they are both very close to the same weight. The sailplane assembled will just sit upright on its own. I did manage to overspeed it a couple of times and could see balanced left and right wing twist (flutter) a bit. It was still controllable and easy to just reduce speed. Its a relaxing sailplane to fly and very easy to see way up there. The circling speed was about the same as the local buzzards flying around here.

Overall its a lot of bang for the buck.
TreeFlyer:

Thanks for your juicy comments.

Please e-mail me privately your complete address to send you a Hobby Club
token for your shared performance,

Alberto
hobbyclub is offline Find More Posts by hobbyclub
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Mandarin

Congratulations to all. Especially Charlene. I wish I could have been there, but health issues said otherwise this year.

My Mandarin had some great flights today. It really does fly well. I am beginning to like it better than my other birds, and every time I fly it it seems to get better.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain