Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:24 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,573 Posts
Discussion
Help ID this chip from Hyperion Charger

Can anyone help ID this IC?

I have a FB that was using his Hyperion EOS0615i Duo3 charger and unplugged the battery adapter board from the charger and not the battery from the adapter board.
In doing this one of the 4mm bullets touched the 24V power supply and smoke came out of the charger and the screen went blank. The power supply does NOT have the high side AC ground isolated internally, it is via cardboard... No, this is NOT the way I would do this...

I opened the charger up to find a burned IC on the bottom of the charger. The ID says ST and what appears to be ?8949.
I looked at this under a lab scope and cound not figure out the first letter but the next 4 is either B949 or 8949.
Maybe the # that I need is the top # ?

I ordered some FD8949CT-ND http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...9CT-ND/1217904 from Digi-Key and when I went to remove the orginal from the PCB today I found the underside soldered to the PCB also. The replacement I ordered does not have this.

I have two pictures attached. Don't worry about the uglyness of the PCB after removal, I can fix this "whenever" but will not exert any time/energy into this until I have the correct IC in hand.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:27 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,054 Posts
My guess is that it's an L5973D.
Bruce Abbott is online now Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,573 Posts
Bruce, thank you. I think that is it and ordered one up.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman