HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
Blaster 3 Help!

I just got my new Blaster 3 in the mail and want to get into Gliding! I was wondering if anyone had some perimeters that I could start with. (CG, throws, mixes...) I know this is very vague and will depend on my flying style. I have watched all the Radio Carbon Art DVD's... so I have a little understanding. I also was wondering if there was anyone in South Florida that are doing this? Thank you in advance for any help
Air.Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Air.Stormer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,087 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321829
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
549 Posts
Just follow the official guide, it's easy to build.

you can download the pdf from vladimir's website .
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
ok, will do. Thanks for the link! What about people to fly with in Florida? I live in Palm City Florida.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,087 Posts
It is a drive but there are people near Gainsville and Sanford. search for San Felasco for their yearly contest. I used to go to Jupiter, but did not see many places to fly!.
BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,197 Posts
AirStormer:

As you've already been advised, build it according to the instructions and it will fly just fine.

I gotta ask: do you have any prior RC flying experience?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Yes! I started in helicopters and then got into the IMAC scene for a while...I have a beautiful field west of Jupiter that I get to fly at. I just had to try this as I love the challenge of the set up and cost is what I am willing to get into with 2 little girls. No trucks of trailers...just easier. I am pretty sure I could have ten gliders to one IMAC bird. I would like to compete someday at it I just know flying with others that are better is a huge help.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:58 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,534 Posts
You may find many of your questions answered in the sticky at the top of this group - the one on initial programming of a DLG. Disclaimer - I wrote it. It will help you achieve a solid vanilla setup without weaknesses.

Welcome to RCGroups. And welcome to dlg!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Thank you. I am really looking forward to it!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Can someone shoot a picture on how they run the control rods to the rudder and elevator? I was wondering how to make it look good and how big the pieces of tubing that ifs glued to boom are? Thanks for any guidance.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
Ok I may need some guidance to save my 700 blaster.... the elevator will not tighten down properly. I put thin CA in the hole to try and get the screw to grip with no luck. I now am to the point of just gluing it on....bad idea?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,197 Posts
Air.Stormer:

Not a really bad idea, but not a good one, either. I've not heard of that before.

I suggest calling Barry and getting a replacement screw - the screw is softer than the threaded portion, so a new screw may do the trick. That is, IF the problem is stripped threads.

The other possibility is that the screw is too long for the thickness of the elevator. If that's the case, try shortening it a bit.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
In addition to trying to use the in CA to recut the threads I did shorten it and grind the end nice. The first go round I saw the end was left rough like it was cut with some snips. Barry has been wonderful and I am not going to bother him for a screw. I know I can handle this. I have built/assembled a lot of RC planes before and this is proving to be one of the toughest. I am upset that I spent as much as I did on a plane without really looking into how much is involved with proper setup. I hate CA... that is another problem and I hope to never have to use it again. I would rather wait for epoxy. So if I like this part of the hobby as much as I think I will this plane will just be a back up. I want it set up correctly so just looking for the best options. Screw just doesnt mate the elevator well and I can only imagine the amount of force put on this when throwing.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,197 Posts
Air.Stormer:

It sure sounds like someting is very wrong. The elevator should go on the V-mount with no slop, quick and easy, and be held firmly in place on the shelf with the internal-thread screw. I'm on my third Blaster, and all have been excellent.

Perhaps a picture would be in order.

Yours, Greg
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
I hope the pic shows... It seems when I used CA to get my threads back, some of it was on the shelf... just enough to cause it to not seat perfectly. We got it sanded down and we are good to go. The other issue I ran into was that the supplied carbon linkage for the rudder was about an inch too short. This had to be cause I used the most forward servo in the servo lineup to run it. I spliced a piece together and put shrink over it. I think this should be fine... I am ready to fly her! I just have to dodge a hurricane this weekend in South Florida...