HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Build Log
Russian Jets, Yak-15, and Yak-17 Feather, in 30mm EDF.

Hello, my name is Fred. I am addicted to building cool little electric airplanes.........

I have been wanting to make a specific airframe for at least 10 years. It has seemed quite a challenge for many reasons. A Russian, straight winged Jet, of course. EDF, for sure, but I didn't think I would be doing a micro version, until 3 days ago. I just couldn't wait to get a start on this one. It is going to be a Yak, Yak had the Yak-15, the Yak-17(code name Feather to NATO), and the Yak 21 (code name Flora to NATO) There is subtle differances most noted externally in the wing shape, vertical fin shape, and stabilizer locations. Also the original Yak-15 had a tail dragger configuration, while the other two were nose gear.

Decisions, decisions. I pretty much settled on the Yak-17 for a few reasons. The fuselage is a bit easier to make scale than the 21 would be, and I love the position of the Horizontal Stab for prototyping a model as a micro (weight considerations). But you know, it has been two days into this, and I am liking the tail dragging setup of the Yak-15. Oh boy, guess I am lucky that either model can be done with but a couple simple changes.

So I started some foam bending, and that got tedious real quick. I am not fond of 2mm Depron bending and gluing without much heat and pre-forming operations. As I got frustrated, I stumbled onto one of Walt's Builds (Waltjg), a 70mm MiG-15. It dawned on me to follow suit and get out some foam blocks, my wire cutting stuff, and re-explore some earlier attempts at fuselage building using templates, hot wire, and sanding. Yes, in micro size!

So before I get too far along, I wanted to do something I have not really seen anybody do. I am making a few side-by-side pictures to have all three Yak's (15, 17, & 21) next to each other to spur the creative mind. I welcome you to follow along and see where this experiment ends up. I think it will work out really cool, and if not, I will have a foamie boat anchor that resembles an airframe, I hope!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Jul 25, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I will be posting some cool photos here: Later

Thanks

Fred
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Someone will want to see a video, so maybe here is the spot for that. Reserved.

Thanks Fred
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Opps one more won't hurt, since I love posting photos, Thanks again.

Fred
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well of course I'm here waiting again for ideas pics and vids!!! Looks like another great project Fred! Good Luck my friend!!! We are all waiting. w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Well of course I'm here waiting again for ideas pics and vids!!! Looks like another great project Fred! Good Luck my friend!!! We are all waiting. w
Thanks Walt, but you should know (and everyone else) that your MiG-15 Build gave me a boost to side track and actually make this a project that I think will become a success. As with many people in life, YOU have helped my a tremendous amount and I do want to thank you for that.

I edited the first post now, so there are now 3 different side-by-side photos to compare these great Early Russian Jets next to each other. You can see my confusion on which one to actually model (first . I do love early Jets, and the straight winged ones seem to jump out and grab for my attention!

Fred
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Fred,, I looked at te pics again, I'm kinda leaning towards the 23 something about the wing and tail shape I guess.. But any of them are cool! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Thanks for the kind words Fred,, I looked at te pics again, I'm kinda leaning towards the 23 something about the wing and tail shape I guess.. But any of them are cool! W
You know Walt, the Yak-23 is the ultimate of the three. The nose is longer, the wings are much easier to make with their straight lines, and the "T" like tail should fly the best. The fuselage is rounder, and that can pose some tougher building tricks. BUT you know there is no easy way out of building scale airplanes.

So I wasted a day before I saw you were doing the hot wire work on the MiG-15. So here are some photos of what I am not doing (anymore) on this build. These parts are going into the bone yard after they spend some time reminding me of how I hate bending foam sometimes.

These shots are of the ducting, 1mm Depron, post baked in oven it holds shape well and gets very ridgid and firm. So far so good. Then I started making formers from 3mm Depron, making a template for each station, and aligned so they could be jigged onto dowels as a crutch. Again so far so good..............

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
So I carried on, with some2 mm Depron cut to start the exterior skinning of the fuselage. Things were flowing along fairly well, but Depron does resist easy manipulation around curves because of it's stiffness. This is about where my patience was getting the best of me. Curve around a former, but the edges between tend to bow outward. I am not looking forward to adding stringers and the like................

Fred

OH yeah, Kevin, see my plans? they are that 3 view on 8 1/2" x 11" Letter size paper there in photo #1.

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
So see, no one is perfect!

That says it all. I don't mind sharing my failures too BTW. Weight is coming out OK. Strength and such, probably be fine. But I have lots of countours and curves to complete. This is whay the Yaks have been resisting becoming part of my fleet.

So I go off to relax and surf RCG's. Whay not, we all do that for some inpiration. I came across a build that Walt was doing, and he is using hot wire to cut sections. So have done some of that in the past on some tests and nacelles. Wonder what a micro would be like, especially weight wise? Too heavy? well only one way to find out.

at this point I only lost about 3/4 of a day, so I decided to scrap this whole idea and style right now. I thought why not try to do a little hot wire cutting and see the results on shaing and weight.

Did a little test run, and seemed to be promising. So I got up today, and had a productive day in the shop. I will post some of that work tomorrow. It's getting late, and we are just now getting a Thunderstorm starting! Yeah, heat wave 30 days +, maybe we will get some relief after all.
Fred
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,909 Posts
Good work Fred!!!...I just wanted you to know that I HATE you---In sort of an envious/jealous way!!!......I've put more time in my little T-45 than in some larger jets that I've built...And in a short period of time you come up with this plane......PLEASE do not leave out ANY details as it's guys like me that are learning how to build micro jets, seeking new horizons with Depron......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
I finished up my last build so i can hang and watch this one too. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Yay! More early jets!
Looks good so far, maybe I should start learning how to work with foam too.
Hanzie
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
First thank you Kevin.

But i am about to unleash another direction this build took. I could continue what you see, but it is the same 'ol, same 'ol, so you guys get the way I would go to finish. Too boring and was way to time consuming, so stay tuned.......

Joe, you know we have a strange affliction you and I. Building, and now foam too. Happy to see you around!

Hanzie, you naughty boy! We know you know foam, but love your sense of humor! I post for the masses, mostly for entertainment reasons! My version of Hollywood productions on a budget!

I'll try to get down to the desktop later, babysitting and working on my Truck this morning......

Fred
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
Registered scratchbuilder
Novorossiysk,Russia
Joined May 2006
180 Posts
Hallo Freddie B.
i`m watching your threads with interest, both this one and F-84, great job, i like much your relation to micro size and the way you applying "big" technologies to small models. Few years ago i flew my yak-15 scratched around EDF-40, link to my blog to see building progress, maybe you`l found something useful .
Best regards
Evgen
sudovod is offline Find More Posts by sudovod