Caveman_Don is offline Find More Posts by Caveman_Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Video - Mini 8ight on 3s in the yard

Just messing around on grass. ~6 minutes of this used only 840 mAh.The motor & ESC were a bit hot, but I could hold my finger on either of them.

Mini 8ight on 3s - in the yard (5 min 19 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
Anyone in Houston, or The Woodlands, TX going to run this??? I am looking to maybe pick one up, but need at least one buddy to run with...
rpedro is offline Find More Posts by rpedro
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
Anyone!???
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:23 AM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
BUMP!!! no one here in Houston???
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
No love for this car anymore???
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
You were looking for someone in your area to run with. Since I'm in Minnesota, I didn't reply.

I'm still having a blast with mine! But I don't drive it much in the winter. On a nice day, I might take her out for a few banzai runs up & down the street on a 3s pack, but that's about it. The thing is crazy-fast on 3s. I read that somebody clocked one at close to 55 MPH on 3s. I'm impressed with how well it handles at speed, given how small it is. I do wish somebody would come out with swaybars for it, though. The mounts are already there, so why not? I need to order some 2s packs for it, though. 3s is too much for serious racing. On 3s, it will do a backflip if you punch it while cruising at half-throttle - even on asphalt.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
Consumer of Toast
USA, NY, Ashville
Joined Nov 2010
256 Posts
I just posted a review here:

http://www.rctodayshow.com/forum/vie...php?f=12&t=381

Give it a look if you are interested in a Mini 8ight.
KrazyKoots is offline Find More Posts by KrazyKoots
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, WV, Salem
Joined Mar 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
You were looking for someone in your area to run with. Since I'm in Minnesota, I didn't reply.

I'm still having a blast with mine! But I don't drive it much in the winter. On a nice day, I might take her out for a few banzai runs up & down the street on a 3s pack, but that's about it. The thing is crazy-fast on 3s. I read that somebody clocked one at close to 55 MPH on 3s. I'm impressed with how well it handles at speed, given how small it is. I do wish somebody would come out with swaybars for it, though. The mounts are already there, so why not? I need to order some 2s packs for it, though. 3s is too much for serious racing. On 3s, it will do a backflip if you punch it while cruising at half-throttle - even on asphalt.

Joel
Hi

I am going to buy this buggy for my son for Christmas Do you have any problems with your Thunder Power Packs fitting in the tray ? Also what kind of run times can i expect from the TP3S 1800 or the 1300 pack ? We normally run our cars on grass or dirt.

This looks like a really sweet buggy !

Thanks Scott
baddley is online now Find More Posts by baddley
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Hi Scott,

Just to clarify - I'm running a 3s 1300 & a 2s 1800. The Mini 8ight's battery compartment is approximately 101mm L x 30mm W x 19mm tall. The TP1300-3SPP65 3s pack measures 98 x 31x 18, and the TP1800-2SPP65 2s pack measures 98 x 31 x 17. The packs fit, but I widened the mount a bit by shaving a couple mm off the battery holder uprights as a precautionary measure to prevent chafing.

As you are no doubt aware - run-time is totally dependent upon the surface, gearing, and driving style. I usually drive on asphalt, I'm running the shortest gearing, and I tend to use throttle-management. So, my run-times are much longer than what they'd be if I was still using the stock gearing, driving on grass, actually racing, or if I kept the throttle mashed all the time. I have my timer set for 10 minutes for the 1300 mAh 3s packs, and I never even come close to the 80% discharge point when driving on asphalt with the short gears. I'm usually ready for a break way before the 1800 mAh 2s packs reach the 80% discharge point.

BTW - you need to time your runs with this buggy when running LiPo packs. The ESC's LiPo low-voltage cutoff is not freely adjustable, and it doesn't kick in until well-past the 80% discharge point.

Also - there have been quite a few reports of people breaking the bottom shock ends during hard crashes. Adjusting the droop screws solves the problem - but the factory didn't adjust them, and a lot of people don't even know they exist!

Regarding driving it on grass or on a regular dirt track - you'll need to use a 2s pack. The ESC tends to overheat under higher loads on 3s. Besides - the car is simply too fast on 3s for any serious racing or off-roading. Three spur gears are included. It comes with the tallest gearing installed. That seems to be fine on 2s, but I ended up switching to the shortest gearing for 3s operation on asphalt, as I experienced thermal shut-down a few times once things started warming up around here. You may also want to gear it down even on 2s if your grass is really thick and/or a bit long.

Hope this helps!

Joel
RCG Plus Member