HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Not sure why it's taking so long. Normally it should only take a few minutes. I've created a dropbox, but it's currently syncing.. I'll post a link when it's finished. Thanks, Fred
ftherrmann is offline Find More Posts by ftherrmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
97 Posts
Hi Fred,

a quick glance at your spherical panorama reveals the problem: Your tripod was not levelled. You have to use a spirit level.

But no panic! If you send me all your original images, I can stitch them with PTGUi 9.1.5 Pro again so that all vertical lines remain vertical.

If you wish to have this panorama, please use Dropbox.

The location is looking very good!

Cheers

Harald
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Ok, dropbox is synced. The link is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ddf31ztule3hiz/RCRC.zip
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
I didn't use a spirit level, but the original images should be very close to level. It's very possible that the stitching process added some error. I'll dropbox the original images and include a link when it's ready..
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
97 Posts
Which program did you use for stitching?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harold,

Here's the dropbox link to the original jpg files.

I did have a lot of overlap and also had to photoshop out the shadows and other distractions after the pano was completed. I can clean up the pano if you wish after you have it stiched up correctly.

Vielen Dank!

Fred

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tlq5o2n8hijelrh/n9e1KBqMzq
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
I used Kolor Autopano
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Getting ahead of myself, but how do you create flying site thumbnail for Phoenix? When I exported my file from Creator to Phoenix I only see a black rectangle.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
97 Posts
Okay, I'm downloading all images as a zip-file. I saw you shot in landscape format. Portrait format has many advantages. You have more ground and sky on each image. Furthermore it's not necessary using so high ISO (1000) while having such bright light. ISO 100 is sufficiant. Then it's necessary shooting without any automatic mode. You had used shutter time automatic.

I myself have had such black cubface.dds-issues. Try another computer.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
The thumbnail could be a Win7 issue. I'll try an XP machine next time. I've done several QTVR's ( See this link if your interested: http://fth.bounceme.net/fredmovies.htm ) and did most of these with a 180 deg fisheye lens in manual mode. This only requires 3 images, but the resolution suffered to the point where it wasn't useable for Phoenix.

Good point on portrait vs landscape. I shot the images using aperature priority fixed @f/18, and had the iso set to 1000. The D700 only allows you to drop to iso 200 (not counting low light settings). Do you think grain is perceivable between 100 and 1000 after the image is jpg'd? I made the decision on iso 1000 in order to keep any vibration from showing up since I was manually triggering the exposure by hand.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
RCRC Flying site is up and running!!!

The RCRC flying site is up and running.. The thumbnail view also shows up correctly in Phoenix. The crash objects are not totally perfect, but close enough! I also cleaned up my shadows in photoshop.

I included a installation instructon file which basically says to copy the RCRC folder to the documents/phoenixRC/flying sites folder. I only have one copy of phoenix running so I haven't tried this. Is this the correct way to install the flying site?

Thanks for the help Harold. Fixing the Pano using your stitching software did the trick...

Regards,

Fred

The flying site file can be found at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ddf31ztule3hiz/RCRC.zip
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
97 Posts
Hi Fred,

I think the location deserves a much better scenery-construction.

-- No plane-shadow
-- Very rough built crash-objects
-- Deep approach to left hand of runway not possible because of too big constructed crash-objects

It would be a good idea if you would publish your project file to make the scenery an improving-project by teamwork.

Best regards

Harald
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftherrmann View Post
The RCRC flying site is up and running.. The thumbnail view also shows up correctly in Phoenix. The crash objects are not totally perfect, but close enough! I also cleaned up my shadows in photoshop.

Regards,

Fred

The flying site file can be found at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ddf31ztule3hiz/RCRC.zip

SORRY I have collided with Harald again, I agree with him.
I have had a look at RCRC, it is promising.
The major deficiency is the lack of shadow. I guess the sun position is not properly set. If Puzom were here he could comment on ambient value. We are using values around 100 instead of the default 60, depends on the position of the sun.

If I were in your position and had this extremely good scenery I would
add a lot more efforts to make it better.
If you need assistance we can give you, of course.
You know the distances of remote objects like row of trees, if taxiing against those you can judge the distance, it can not be perfect if the ground is tilted.
(Have failed to find your site at Google Earth, could you give the exact GPS coordinates?)
For instance at present the row of trees at right is about 500 metres (I will check again if have more time).
As Harald said (some time ago) that there is no reason to construct collision objects untill the pano is perfect, I have to add
this is true that untill the tilting of ground is not properly covered by planes and or h-maps.
The proper use of skyline collision objects and the possibility of alpha masking are challenging possibilities for you.
Anyway congratulations.
László
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Last edited by lcsaba; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:02 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
97 Posts
I agree with you László, it's promising. I'd like to have some more photos taken of this location but they have to be shot in consideration of all the basic rules of panorama-photography which can be read on my sites, e.g.

http://sceneries.jimdo.com/aufnahmetechnik/

The main mistakes which I've seen very often:

-- Too many images
-- Missing images
-- Tilted images
-- Too high ISO - therefore grainy pictures
-- Too much automatic features enabled - manual aperture and exposure are a "must have"
-- No panoramahead used - resulting in many parallax-errors which lead to bad stitching
-- Many sensor dust-spots
-- Shadow of photographer can be minimized by remote control release
-- All images in jpg - RAW is much better
-- All images in landscape-format - portrait-format is better
-- Horizontal rotating in anti-clockwise-direction (clockwise is better for PTGUi)
-- No CA-adjustment before stitching (eliminating Chromatic Aberration is better for exact control-point-creation)

How the scenery looks like with shadow can be seen in my first testflight here:

http://youtu.be/A3IVI30aP8w?hd=1

Best regards

Harald
Last edited by EPPforFUN; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harald,

No problem with the group effort. The only problem is that I have 5 other projects in process and just wanted a basic site to fly from. I agree that the shadows and other things you have added are a really nice improvement. Not sure how to do it, but differentiating between concrete and grass areas would also be great.

Like I mentioned I've cleaned up the cube faces and would be happy to provide them to you along with the .pxq file if you want to continue to work on it. Re-doing the pictures isn't an option right now since the leaves have dropped and it's a rather drab looking site right now.

This is the first site I've ever worked on and you guys are obviously the pro's or auf deutsch gesagt.... Profi's! Meine eltern sind Deutsch and ich habe auch fur eine zeit in Deutschland gelebt. Ebermannstadt, auserhalb Erlangen. Ich habe auch fur NASA 30 jahren gearbeited. Bin aber jetzt Gott sei dank im ruhestand fur die letzten 7 jahre!

Please feel free to improve upon RCRC site and of course take credit for your work!

The gps location of the site via google map link is: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Leema...,+Alabama&z=17

The working Phoenix files are at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ygos1nvswd2cm3/978Zgrm-BL

This includes the clean cube faces (minus my shadow) and the .pxf file. Please keep me updated on the progress. Also let me know if there are any other things that I can do to help.

Thanks!

Fred