HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:15 AM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
36 Posts
Help!
I need help identifying a couple of vintage pattern ships

Thank you to all in advance who can help me identify these planes. I've had a lot of interest in some people wanting to purchase these from me, but I would like to know what it is that I am maybe, selling. The orange one is a glassed balsa fuse, with a glassed, foam wing. It weighs in a 72 oz like it sits. It has a 62" wing span, 26" antiheidral stab, set up for retracts, and doesn't look like it has ever taken to the air. The silver one was a past flyer. I'd say around mid 80's from the antique Futaba radio. It has a nice Rossi .61 rear exhaust engine, I'd guess Rohm Air retracts, a 64" wing span, 26" stab, a glass fuse, and a glassed foam wing. Any ideas of brand & model? Like I said, much appreciation in advance.

Steve
stevster is online now Find More Posts by stevster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Sep 2009
546 Posts
The Silver one is a T2A, looks like one of the early versions from late Seventies (or early Eighties), I had two but never flew either one. The orange beauty is looking alot like a slightly modified Compensator, likely not, but close. Somebody here will know soon enough!

hook
hook57 is online now Find More Posts by hook57
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Trade possibilty for the T2A...

Hi Stevester,
I pm'd you on RCU about a large scale trade that a buddy is interested in involving the T2A.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
The orange plane is a Dirty Birdie 60 with an anhedrel mod on the horizontal stab. My dad has one IDENTICAL to this one except for the anhedrel in the stab. The guy who my dad bought it from said it had a custom paint job .I guess not . When I saw this I had to looked across the hall to make sure my dads Dirty Birdie was still there they're that identical. We could fly formation together and see who gets confused first! J/K. Nice plane a real classic pattern bird. Hope you enjoy! Robert
RobDog1983 is offline Find More Posts by RobDog1983
Last edited by RobDog1983; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:31 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Sep 2009
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog1983 View Post
The orange plane is a Dirty Birdie 60 with an anhedrel mod on the horizontal stab. My dad has one IDENTICAL to this one except for the anhedrel in the stab. The guy who my dad bought it from said it had a custom paint job .I guess not . When I saw this I had to looked across the hall to make sure my dads Dirty Birdie was still there they're that identical. We could fly formation together and see who gets confused first! J/K. Nice plane a real classic pattern bird. Hope you enjoy! Robert
Nope, pretty sure it's not a DB. The DB has a straight trailing edge, unless my eyesight is way off, that plane has a double taper, much like the Compensator and the Tiger Tail, etc. I think it looks more like an El Camino or something like that (the name).

hook.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Yeah Mark,
On RCU a couple of SoCal locals sounded pretty convincing in their knowledge of the El Camino and it's local cottage industry manufacturer in the day's of the Dirty Birdy. That is what I thought it was too, RobDog!
There were many small volume kit makers in that era making kits that were derivatives of more famous others, I've gathered.
Chris...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:41 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
I take back what I said about it being a DB . After searching around I think that it is a Renagade. My Dad must own an El camino. My dad could be mad when he gets home or happy . Either way it is a sharp looking plane. There is no doubt that we have the same plane except for the stab. I just thought that it was a DB all along.

This seems like a popular plane. My dad has had people that he does not know call him from out of state to make an offer for this plane. It was getting annoying for a while, then it stopped. No one told us it was a El camino, they just let us keep on thinking it was a DB.

My best friend and flying buddy made my dad offer after offer and my dad always said no. My friend liked this plane so much he went and bought himself a Dirty birdy 60 with hacker and futaba everything! He did this all because I told him it was a DB . Luckily he has not built the kit yet and does not have alot of building experience , but is getting better lol. I dont think I'm going to tell him until that time comes .

Robert
Last edited by RobDog1983; Jun 25, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog1983 View Post
I dont think I'm going to tell him until that time comes .

Robert
Robert Hes going to know, especially if its Bluejay Kit. They use a different canopy in their kits than what was used in the original Dirty Birdy.
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRs Flagship Radio!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
I'm sure he may find out but the odds are in my favor that he wont. He does not build much at all. Every plane that he owns is an arf. When he bought the plane with no building experience I thought that it would A) sit on a shelf forever, B) get sold, or C) he would come to me with a sad look and his bottom lip sticking out asking me to build it. So far it has been sitting for 3&1/2 years . Man I'm horrible

I will most likely will tell him. The guilt factor is already kicking in . I really hate looking like a jackass. When I do tell him I will make sure he has had a few beers and can not run, so I could get away .
Last edited by RobDog1983; Apr 19, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Sep 2009
546 Posts
Hey Robdog, I thought it might be DB too, but the more I looked at it the more it looked like something else. I knew the T2A right away as I had two of the kits. Were the Renegade and the El Camino from the same family of planes? (designer, etc!) Oh yeah, and don't really tell him, just say it it changes shape with age, kinda like my ex!
Mark

A tad more than 5 weeks and counting, looking forward to seeing and flying with you again Chris!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:59 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
I'm starting to cover the Laser. Got to get out and fly the STL Kaos too. It hasn't flown for a long time now.
Chris...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
The Renegade and El Camino are both from J & E enterprises in Buena Park, southern California. They are both designed by Ed Baranowski. The El Camino was kitted in the early 80's. The Renegade was kitted in the mid 80's. The only differences between the two are the Renegade has a anhedrel stab and the El Camino has a straight stab. My dad's El Camino has a silver painted canopy and I noticed this Renegade has a white painted canopy.

Some people say they are shameless copies of the DB but I can see a little difference. The Renegade and El Camino wings have a double taper. The fuselage sides are rounded more, specially at the top. The Renegade has an anhedrel stab. The turtle deck and canopy are also different. The canopy and turtle deck stand out the most. I thought my dad's plane was a DB with the turtle deck mod or that is what I told my friend .

The more I read and look at the El Camino, the more I think I'm going to have a problem in the future convincing my friend that we both have DB's . I just mite use your advice hook and tell him that the balsa swelled up with age lol and the high humidity in New Mexico made it worse.

Are these planes arfs or are a kit? I think they are arfs because they all are glassed and have identical paint jobs. My dad is not the original owner so I don't know and have not read anything. We did live in southern Cali during the mid 80's while my dad was stationed at George AFB. My dad did alot of pattern flying back then. When I mentioned the El Camino and renegade to my dad a light came on in his head followed by a smile. He said he has not heard those names in years and forgot about them.

Robert
Last edited by RobDog1983; Apr 19, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
fix-n-fly
Allen, TX
Joined Jun 2004
39 Posts
The orange one is a Curare, designed by Hans & Hanno Pretner http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/curare.htm. It was really popular back in the 1970s and early 1980s. I don't know what the other plane is.
fix-n-fly is offline Find More Posts by fix-n-fly
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
650 Posts
No way is that a Curare! Unless it's been heavily modified!

The canopy and turtle deck don't even come close to the Curare!

RG
R_G is online now Find More Posts by R_G
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
It's not a Curare. If it was a Curare my dad would be singing and dancing all over the house about now . The Curare is my dads favorite plane.