HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:03 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Okay, Here it is.
Ok. Here's what's going on. The Bixler.fdr has two sessions in it. The first is your flight and then there is a second session after you get home and hook up the OSD to the PC. On your 2d plot the line isn't from your house to the field. It's from the field back to your house. I split the file using the file > save sessions in the PC program.

Here are the FDR and KML files after I split the original file.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:14 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
734 Posts
To keep the eLogger from recording at home and before I launch the plane I set a Logging Trigger to only start recording when the amps reach 3 amps. I always test my plane by goosing the motor for just a second a few seconds before I launch the plane. This way the eLogger only logs from the beginning of the flight.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:40 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
To keep the eLogger from recording at home and before I launch the plane I set a Logging Trigger to only start recording when the amps reach 3 amps. I always test my plane by goosing the motor for just a second a few seconds before I launch the plane. This way the eLogger only logs from the beginning of the flight.

Steve
I have my Logging Trigger set to 200 RPM. Guess I'll have to make an adjustment. Thanks for the info!
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Feb 08, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:46 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Ok. Here's what's going on. The Bixler.fdr has two sessions in it. The first is your flight and then there is a second session after you get home and hook up the OSD to the PC. On your 2d plot the line isn't from your house to the field. It's from the field back to your house. I split the file using the file > save sessions in the PC program.

Steve
Thanks!
One of the things that threw me was in 3D GPS Data if I choose Session 1 I still get a line from the flying field to my house but not the 10 or 12 other position updates at my house. With your help I now have a handle on it.
Thanks,
Bill
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi guy,
this depends on what system of power-connectors you use (or plan to use).
i prefer the leads, because i use cylindric gold contacs ... so i can easily change my loggers from the fpv-plane to another plane or heli.
more than this i use the logger in life-mode (display on the pc or with the additional lcd-display) to measure the load-current and voltage on the working-bench.

cheers Thomas

Thanks for the tips.
i've ordered the EagleTree osd yesterday :-)
took the one with the integrated deans since i mostly use deans and XT60 connectors on my lipo packs.

thank you so much for all the help, now i just need to wait for the package to arrive :-)

-guy
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:38 AM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy252 View Post
Thanks for the tips.
i've ordered the EagleTree osd yesterday :-)
took the one with the integrated deans since i mostly use deans and XT60 connectors on my lipo packs.

thank you so much for all the help, now i just need to wait for the package to arrive :-)

-guy
You don't have to wait, start reading the manuals.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:27 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Hi Bill et al. I've been using the OSD Pro and Elogger since it was released. Love the product!

I was working on my tri build tonight and was trying a new mount position for the OSD/ELogger. As I connected the lipo, there was a flash and I yanked the lipo immediately. The signal (white) wire in the connection between the OSD and the ELogger had heated enough to burn/melt open (on the end closest to the OSD.) Total connect time was something like.5 seconds, but it was enough to burn through the wire. Here are pics I was taking just before and just after the event:

Then the short:

I think the white wire shorted to the power out positive lead on the ELogger through a tear in the plastic cover. Not sure though.

Am I toast or is there a possibility that I'll be able to solder new wire leads to the OSD? Or do I need to send it in for repair? Is there a component I can test with the multimeter to determine what the situation is?

Thanks!

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
eLogger/OSD Pro, Spektrum and ESC

Hi guys,
I've been flying my Bixler with an eLogger & OSD Pro for about two months and have never got the Return to Home to work with throttle (stays at idle). Everything else seems to work when running the Flight Simulator. It looks like it might be the ESC causing the problem and I was wondering which ESC's you Spektrum guys are using? I am currently using a H-King 35 (same a Mystery?).
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Feb 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Bergen
Joined Feb 2009
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Hi guys,
I've been flying my Bixler with an eLogger & OSD Pro for about two months and have never got the Return to Home to work with throttle (stays at idle). Everything else seems to work when running the Flight Simulator. It looks like it might be the ESC causing the problem and I was wondering which ESC's you Spektrum guys are using? I am currently using a H-King 35 (same a Mystery?).
Hi, can you post your osd config file, and a video when you try RTH with servo deflection enabled?
Megafluffy is offline Find More Posts by Megafluffy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafluffy View Post
Hi, can you post your osd config file, and a video when you try RTH with servo deflection enabled?
Thanks for the offer, I got it working this afternoon, my bad .
I was never getting enough altitude in the simulator to activate RTH. For some reason, in the simulator, the plane doesn't start gaining altitude until after 30 to 40 seconds. I wasn't expecting that. Everything appears to be working perfectly. Climbed to 100 feet, activated RTH and sim climbed to 300 and came home with motor running while maintaining altitude. Climbed to 600 feet to repeat the test and sim glided down to 300 and motor came back on.
I am now a happy camper and wishing for the snow to go away!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
Sia, sorry to hear about the issue. If the white wire was the one that was damaged, most likely there was a ground fault somewhere (probably to your main pack), which could cause a lot of current to flow through the OSD and other equipment. If that is the case, it's possible that traces were also damaged in the equipment. If you connect another cable to the OSD, and things don't work, that's the likely culprit. If you open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com we can figure out how best to proceed.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Thanks for the insight, Bill. I am anxious to learn what the final situation ends up being. Since the incident, I've been flying the Tri, just without the OSD/Elogger piece. So the camera, rx, and vtx all appear fine.

I got an RMA from Don last week and sent it in. My ticket # is 371113. It was received by ET on Monday the 13th, but I haven't heard anything since then. Are you able to give me an idea of how long it will take to diagnose/repair?

Btw, I just finished a 3 day survey of the OSD market. A lot has changed since I bought my OSD Pro 3+ years ago. I need a second unit, and decided to re-assess the landscape. There are a couple of other OSD offerings that might be able to compete with your solution, but in the end analysis, for me, nothing seems to be able to deliver as well as the OSD Pro. I see another one in my immediate future. Keep up the great work.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post
Btw, I just finished a 3 day survey of the OSD market. A lot has changed since I bought my OSD Pro 3+ years ago. I need a second unit, and decided to re-assess the landscape. There are a couple of other OSD offerings that might be able to compete with your solution, but in the end analysis, for me, nothing seems to be able to deliver as well as the OSD Pro. I see another one in my immediate future. Keep up the great work.
I second that!
I had an issue but it turned out to be software related (reset fixed it).
Great support!
2nd system in the near future.
Would like to see an All-in-One, eLogger/OSD Pro that could use all the current expanders.

Thanks Bill and ET Staff!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Would like to see an All-in-One, eLogger/OSD Pro that could use all the current expanders.
+1

-Sia
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
sia100, I am checking on your RMA status. Really glad to hear you're thinking about us for your next OSD also!

Thanks for the feedback on the all-in-one. I don't think we will disappoint you.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor