New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,024 Posts
I generally don't like a flaperon or spolieron mix because I forget to turn them on or off, but today I played around with them a bit on the Yak. The flaperons don't really seem to do too much, but maybe I didn't give them much of a chance.

The spoilerons however, worked superbly. The plane will drop absolutely straight down in an elevator maneuver. It's like the thing is sliding down a pole or something. Just plain sick.

Any time I would stall the plane and let it sink, I had to be earlier with the power on recovery because it would drop fast. It was a little scary until I got used to it, but elevators and sinking turns were stable and beautiful. The thing would bleed off lift gracefully and quickly. It was a lot of fun.

Harrier is much improved. The Yak harriers a bit differently than the other EXP, and some might say a it's bit more challenging. However, with the spoileron mix you just drive it around with the nose pointed at the sky. It holds that nose so high that it's a bit crazy looking.

In the end I forgot I had it turned on and did a small parachute, which turned into a really long one with the spoilerons turned on. I bounced it really hard and broke the prop. I usually keep a spare in the trunk of my car, but I loaned it out and forgot to replace it, so that was the day. It was still a pretty fascinating day.

No video this time, but I left the mix in and we will try to shoot some next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Sorry I must have missed this reply G, well off the cuff it would be the Yak or Edge with the style I like but I'm keen as mustard to get into a Laser...
Get the MXS wingtips and fit them to a Laser. It doesn't get more stylish than that.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
192 Posts
These are some pics from last weekend to test out the AR635 in my 48" Yak.

The winds were easily around the 15 mph mark with gusts over 20 mph. Not something that you would think a 3 lbs. electric would handle well. Between the design of the EF Yak and with the AS3X, it wasn't too bad. Hovering in front of you wasn't going to happen with the winds but I could hold a low alpha harrier in front of myself pretty easily. It was also a good day to work on harrier landings and knife edge. This was actually kind of cool too since you could watch the ailerons and elevator move back and forth to correct the plane. And with the aircraft pointed into the wind, the actual speed was probably around a normal walk. I did a few normal landings and they were done at around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle with basically no forward motion.

ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Last edited by ben_beyer; Feb 22, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by luckyflyer
United States, NM, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2007
187 Posts
Only the first link shows a picture of the Yak and airport. All other links show weather data. I have a cortex in my 48" yak, makes it fly more like an 80" Yak.
luckyflyer is offline Find More Posts by luckyflyer
Old Feb 22, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
192 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to show the conditions I was flying in. I'm thinking about getting the Cortex for my 89" Slick.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,024 Posts
All my transmitters are either broke or out for service, so I've been playing with Real Flight to keep my thumbs loose. I could not find a Red Bull Yak, so I made one.

Last edited by Doc Austin; Mar 03, 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 02:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,024 Posts
A huge thanks to r0beert0 for doing all the artwopk on this project. He did a beautiful job. this plane will work with Real Flight 3.5 up to whatever is current.

Old Mar 05, 2015, 04:04 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,024 Posts
I converted an existing 5.5 file to G3.5, so this should work for everyone who has a Real Flight.

Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,024 Posts
More Yak EXPs for Real Flight.

Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by babathehutt
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
So I just bought and maidened the Yak and I have a few thoughts comparing it to the Laser, just in case anyone is interested. I've noticed that the Yak is both faster and more exciting than the Laser, but is also much less floaty and comfortable down low as well. I found that it prefers the SFGs compared to the laser, which produced too much lift in high alpha with them on. Despite its wings in line with the stabs and motor, it required a 3-5% rudder/elevator/aileron mix for straight and drive knife edge with a neutral CG. This might have something to do with the down thrust and the lack of top side drag in the stabs and rudder that the Laser has. Properly mixed it rolls better than the Laser, but not by much. I prefer the look of the Laser in the air, but the Yak is nicer on the ground. I'm currently running Hitec 5070 MH servos on HV with a Castle programmable ESC, and the recommended Torque motor on 4S and an APC 12x6
babathehutt is offline Find More Posts by babathehutt
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Luv3d
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
1,944 Posts
interesting perspective. I have never heard of too much lift being generated in high alpha, or that the Laser rolls anywhere close to as axially as the yak, but I also never asked anyone. Mine rolls like it's shot out of a barrel...
Thanks for sharing!
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by wkener2
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2010
314 Posts
A rifled barrel
wkener2 is offline Find More Posts by wkener2
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by babathehutt
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
I think the SFGs trap some air on the wing tips that would otherwise shed laterally off the tip, and maintain lift at a higher angle of attack causing some wing rock. The Yak appears to roll nicer especially without rudder input, but the Laser didn't need any mixing at all out of the box. The giant fuse and flat bottom of the Laser gave it superpowers low and slow especially upright, but the Yak seems more balanced from upright to inverted, even though it is less stable. All in all I'm really liking the Yak and its quirks.
babathehutt is offline Find More Posts by babathehutt
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingHobo
Deadalus' other child
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Feb 2014
78 Posts
I just ordered my 48" Yak. I plowed my 3DHS Edge in to the ground to due a bad battery connection, and decided it's time to try the Yak airframe. It will also be my first EF airframe, so I guess I'll see if the hype about EF's good reputation holds up. I'm betting it will.
FlyingHobo is offline Find More Posts by FlyingHobo
Old Apr 20, 2015, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
671 Posts
Welcome to the club! Before you know it you'll have several EF planes in your collection...try the 60" extra and/or 64" MXS next! Oh, and welcome my son...
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert