Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:57 AM
Find More Posts by BigSwede
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Build Log
Blejzyk Elf 60" Sloper Build Log

I just picked this kit up from Wayne at Aloft Hobbies, and this is one of the kits that is being considered for a Speedo replacement in a one design slope racer series. This is a 60" racer with a pre sheeted foam core wing, glass fuse and balsa V tail. I received the kit yesterday and just got into the kit today. I've got several different projects in the shop right now, but I'll be working on this alongside the other builds, but I should be able to get this one done fairly quickly. I have a few options to choose from and I'll outline them below...

First, I'll give an overview of the kit. It arrived well packed with great service from Wayne. Anyone who has built a Blejzyk or Art Hobby kit will be familiar with the construction. I don't know if the two brands are made in the same factory or not, but there are enough differences to lead me to believe they are not. They do use the same hardware, such as nylon control horns, wing bolts and other bits. The wings are white EPS foam cores pre-sheeted with black poplar, very similar to obechi. The Elf's wingtips have a hardwood "keel" glued in around the tip, and then the foam is shaped and then sheeted. The ailerons are live hinged and here is the first choice I need to make. They are executed very well, nearly as well as a molded plane, however this particular plane has full span ailerons rather than ailerons and flaps cutout. No big deal, but Wayne did say that he had ordered the planes with ailerons and flaps, but they showed up with full span ailerons. I haven't decided yet if I will cut flaps or just use a simple 3 channel aileron/flaperon setup.

The fuselage is a nicely laid up unit consisting of three sections. The main fuse, with a nosecone and a separately laid up inner nose. On the phone Wayne had told me that these fuses were not quite as nice as the Mephisto he had put together a little while ago, and some other kits he has in stock, so I was eager to see what it looked like. Well, it's really not that bad. Structurally, it's perfect. It's quite light, and I'm sure there will be a few getting a sock treatment in the future, but it seems light and strong. The only issue really is cosmetic. They didn't get an even coat of paint in the mold so the finish is kind of a blotchy, white spatter effect. I was planning on giving it a different color paintjob anyway, just to set it off from the other planes if we end up racing these planes. There are carbon strips in the layup from the wing saddle through the tailboom. There is also some carbon tow included in the kit, which I assume is included to reinforce the saddle and nose area. I'll decide where to lay this in tomorrow. I'll be installing a ballast tube in this plane, using shotgun style loaded slugs from underneath the nosecone. I laid up the tube earlier today using techniques from the "Ballast Tube 101" thread, and I should be installing it soon.

Tha tail is simply sheet balsa pre-cut, sanded, and hinged.

Here's a shot of the kit laid out on my workbench;

BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Last edited by BigSwede; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:07 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
There are no instructions included, only a small sheet of plans, so it really helps to have some building experience with this type of kit, and I've built several similar Art Hobby kits, so I'll pass along some things I've learned on those. First thing I did today was to install the crush blocks in the wing root. They come as 20mm blocks and are sanded down to fit. A disc sander makes quick work of that. They don't have to fit perfectly as they'll be glued in with an epoxy/microballons filler. Just make sure they fit slightly loosely so the sheeting isn't deformed when they are glued in. I measured 25mm from the leading edge to the bolt hole in the front and 135mm to the rear bolt. I removed the foam from the area where the blocks will be glued in, double checked the fit, mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and microballoons, and glued them in place.

Blocks shaped and fitted before glueing...

Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:09 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
And after glueing. The other side will be glued in when joining two wing halves. Make sure the skins don't bulge when gluing in.

Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:16 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
While I had a batch of epoxy mixed up, I glued the 1/4" ply wing bolt hold down blocks into the fuse. I measured where they were to be installed, marked it and test fitted the blocks. They didn't need any adjustment, so epoxy was slathered onto the blocks and they were inserted into the fuse. I stick the tip of an X-Acto knife into the end of the rear block first and eyeball along the outside of the fuse where the marks of where the locations of the block should be. Lay it down and put a little pressure on the block while you wiggle the knife out leaving the block behind.

Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:20 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
That's as far as I got today, but while I'm on the fuse, here are a couple of shots of the finish on the fuse. It's tough to see the speckled finish in the pics, but here they are...

Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:20 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
More to come tomorrow...
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:29 AM
Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,214 Posts
I got one of these from Aloft Hobbies as well, and was going to do a build log, but you beat me to it! Oh well... maybe I'll just join in on your thread. I've still got another project to finish before my bench is clear and work can start on the Elf.

The Blejsvskzyskvckz (?) site does have a set of instructions, which I've only glanced through briefly. I'll attach the PDF files down below. One thing I noticed is that the S6063 wing needs to be moved forward slightly. I haven't done any measuring or looked at the wing saddle, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I'm looking forward to starting on my Elf in the next week or two! It looks like a great quality kit, and should be a step up from the Speedo if this plane is chosen for the next generation of MoM races. I have already decided that I'm going to cut flaps into my wing, just because I can. It'll be very easy to cut the full span aileron and add an extra servo.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Nice find with the instructions Keith! By all means, post your build alongside mine. Let's use this thread for sharing info on this plane. Maybe it would be a good idea for Wayne to print a copy of the PDF file instructions and include them with the kit, but since the link is here now, and most guys buying this plane will likely be members here, maybe just pointing them in the direction of this thread is enough.

I was been thinking about my build options last night, and I think I've decided to add flaps as well, for the same reason as you; because we can! There's still a question of space in the fuse though. There should be enough of room, but cramming a 6 channel receiver in there cleanly may pose a challenge. Not one that we all haven't solved previously, but I just need some more time to consider the installation. I use Futaba gear, and the Frsky 7 channel receiver should fit, maybe I'll remove the case, but their tiny 4 channel would be easy to fit. Maybe I'll just do flaperons if you do flaps just to have two built differently. I don't know, I'll think about it some more.

Servos are another thing to think about. I've got several HS65 sized servos laying around, and that is what I'll use for the wing. Do they have enough torque for a full span aileron? Maybe I will do a four servo wing. The V tail servos need to be smaller though, I think. Again, depending on the ballast tube and receiver choice I make. The HS65s will fit no problem if I reduce the size of the ballast tube or use the smaller receiver. I've also got some HS45s , or even the very tiny DSM44s i got drom Wayne a while ago. They should have enough torque to run one side of the V tail. It also depends on how much of the inner nose/servo tray I want to cut away. Anyway, these decisions will be made later today once I get a chance to lay out the gear and see what it all looks like.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:50 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Got a bit more done today. ballast tube has been installed, it holds five slugs which weigh about 4 oz. each. I opened it to the bottom of the inner nose so the slugs load from underneath shotgun style. I opened up the nose so the battery slides in, and I decided to use the DSM44 servos for the V tail. That'll allow me to use a Frsky 7 channel receiver and a 4 servo wing.

Nosecone and ballast tube almost ready to install...

Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Here's the opening on the bottom of the nose to load the slugs...

Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:55 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
The V tail is pre sanded to a 110 degree angle. I glued that together and went to check the fit in the tail block. Surprise! The tail block is a 90 degree angle.

Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:57 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
I stuck a couple of pieces of 150 grit sandpaper to the V tail, and ran the tail block along it a few times.

Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:00 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Here you go. Fits nicely now.

Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Since I have decided to go with flaps, I cut them out. I made the flaps 12" long, and since they are top hinged, I had to trim the leading edge of the flap to get more travel out of it. I'll put some gap seal tape on it later.

Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:06 AM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Cut out servo bays for HS5065MG servos, and heated up a piece of music wire to extend the tunnel for the servo wires.