New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
227 Posts
Don't worry about repairing the crack BF... If you replace the factory motor with my favourite (the Turnigy 3542 on 4s or nastier) you will do the 2mm alloy plate across the face and attached to the factory firewall. It is good to have a smooth even surface to bond it to (i.e you may find yourself having to file off a lumpy epoxy repair later) Get the airframe straight and go from there... Take a look at factory hinge points too and upgrade or redo them with blendum if needed
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Grup
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
900 Posts
What is this 2 mm alloy plate fix? I have a fus I was going to toss, the main problem is the firewall/motor mount is completely broken. I was looking at it and thought "if I just cut the whole thing off; build up with depron; install a flat firewall/motor mount; it will work".

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
227 Posts
If ya wipp back to page 2191 you will find an exceptionally ugly smashed many times nose (plane, not mine) with an exceptionally ugly masive X mount roughly chopped from 2mm alloy with an axe! In this case attached to the remains of the factory nylon firwall with fixall (siicone sealant) and pop rivits... Using any shape piece of flat alloy to create a new firewall gets rid of thrust angles. The 3542 with the factory X mount on the back screws directly onto the new 2mm firewall. to get the position right, I put a dab of slow setting/low strength glue on the firewall and put the motor and x mount on the glue, roughly middle. Put the cowling on and slide the motor around on the glue so that the position is exactly middle of the cowling hole (obviously done with the plane vertical) Now go mow the lawns... A while later the glue is dry. Take the cowling off and mark/drill the holes for the motor X mount and get a few suitable screws in there to secure the motor to the alloy firewall. The prop adapter will fit perfectly out the hole but if any additional spacers are needed for length, I use the spare inserts from the APC props as washers betwen the firewall and the X mount to get it right. job done and very strong...
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey