SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by Maximus0552
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Help!
Faulty sky king hcw8501

Hello there,

I'm looking for some help with my sky king helicopter, here's the situation: I'm only 13 and I got this heli for a Christmas present a couple years ago from my grandparents. It took some troubleshooting but after a while I got the hang of it and started ordering less replacement blades anyway, one day I was flying it, and I decided to attach a camera to it to see if I could get any cool shots. Well after I attached the camera I realized the copter was still on the whole time, and when I tried to take off after that, the blades wouldn't even spin. So I stopped using it but when I was in my basement today I got it out and decided I should figure out what's wrong with it rather than letting it sit in a closet. I'm desperate to get it in the air again and since I have no idea what I'm doing, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max
Maximus0552 is offline Find More Posts by Maximus0552
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by mono
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,520 Posts
I bought one of these years ago because of this video, where he bends and twists the rotor blades (amongst other abuse) and then just straightens them out again.
It made me curious as to what they were made of.
Needless to say, those are not the blades that come on the heli, which are as brittle as it gets.
Regarding your problem, it can be hard to offer fault finding advice (particularly electrical faults) based on a brief description and without examining/testing the heli first hand.
Anyway, I gather you had quite a few flights and mishaps before deciding to attach the camera.
Perhaps you could post details of what you did when you installed the camera... e.g. did you disconnect anything at the time or change something to accommodate the camera?
Otherwise it seems rather coincidental that a fault appears right at the same time.
When you say the heli was on all the time, was the switch at the side no longer working?
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by Maximus0552
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Hi Mono,
I did not disconnect anything while attaching the camera, infact I just duct taped it to the bottom, don't judge. All I know is that the helicopter lights up and everything so I don't think its the battery or a charging problem, but it's also not responding to the remote at all. Receiver problem maybe? I Tried replacing the batteries in the transmitter also but I don't know about how old the new batteries were. I'd take any broad advice, anything you know could help me.
Maximus0552 is offline Find More Posts by Maximus0552
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by mono
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,520 Posts
In an effort to assist in some way with your problem, I gave a couple of examples (the e.g.) of the type of things I need to know. So where does the judging come from?
Anyway, from what you have said, it must have been coincidental timing that the problem surfaces after the camera was attached.
If the heli is in an "on condition" all the time and no response with the radio, then there is a short somewhere.
Most likely it's a board fault, as in one or more of the mosfets or the voltage regulator, has shorted.
As I said, it's difficult to be precise about this kind of fault without examining the board.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono