SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,383 Posts
Question
Robbe Atlantis Genoa

Hi, all. I picked up an Atlantis at the Toledo swap shop (have wanted one of these for some time), and it came with the Genoa kit. I am thinking I would like to install it, but wanted to find out if there are some hints/kinks I should know. I searched here and elsewhere for build information and did not really find much on the Genoa (other than some saying not worth it, others saying it looks cool).

I did look at the kit and found on the instructions a reference to the Atlantis plans, which I don't have, for drilling a part--will have to play this and other bumps sure to come by ear, I suppose.

Anyway, for those who have experience with the Atlantis Genoa, would love to hear your thoughts/observations on it--would you do it again, is it worth the hassle, any issues when sailing in strong wind (do you remove it? easy to do?), and in general get enough information to confirm my desire to go ahead and use it. Thanks....
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Last edited by pmisuinas; Apr 13, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Billymac
In a little camper
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
666 Posts
Hi
I have 2 Atlantis's; one with the Genoa and one without.
Using the genoa involves getting another winch to pull it around. Plus the switch for the radio was different. I bought mine while in Germany, and picked up the Robbe radio with the Genoa module for that purpose.

I used the Genoa 3-4 times and always found that it tends to fowl on the mast stays when coming about.
Thinking about it now, I did have the reefing mechanism for it as well and could have made it work that way, but got a bit confusing.

The Genoa module that I have has a 3 position switch left, mid, right. It also has a slider to where you can tighten/loosen the sail.

In my opinion, it really isn't worth the hassle. I've not used mine in over 20+ years.
I still have the drawings and such if you need a copy.

You can email me at
2billymac@comcast.net

Good sailing boat. I really love mine!

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,383 Posts
Thank you, that is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. It tracks with what little I have been able to find. It's one of those things that sounds really cool when you talk about it, but in reality just complicates things more than what might be enjoyable.

Looking forward to sailing mine as well...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Joined Oct 2011
871 Posts
It does sound cool, but I didn't install it on mine either....

Lots of sail area on the boat without it!
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507