New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by aircrew53
Joined Oct 2012
58 Posts
Discussion
power pod help

Hello all I am building a sophisticated lady arf . I an planning on scratch building a power pod for it . I will be running a brushless out runner with a 3 cell 2200 lipo swinging a 11x6 folding prop. Can anyone tell me what a good point to start at as far as degrees in up thrust or if I should have any right thrust and how high the pod should sit over the wing . Thanks
aircrew53 is offline Find More Posts by aircrew53
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,095 Posts
Just pick up one of these and mount your motor on this:
http://www.sigplanes.com/product.asp...FSqXOgod3BwAfA

Or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261360555481?lpid=82
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by jcstalls
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,664 Posts
Use the simple search tool and use Power Pod as your keyword reference. Three pages saw I.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by gzkpez
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts
You need a lot of up thrust. Its purpose is to get the airflow from the prop over the elevator, I think you have a T tail so that might come into play. 10 to 15 or more degrees. Launches might still a little hard (till it gets moving), launch it with low or no power then add power gradually when it is flying. After it gets moving it will be very stable, just the first 3 or so feet power from the pod will try to nose it in till the air starts to flow over your wings etc. Even if you do not get the power up fast it will just land, and may be do a touch and go. (try that with a front mounted prop on a glider ) If your field is nice grass you can even right off the ground it.

Keep the pod as low as you can, so it will be a little more stable., Be sure to leave prop clearance be sure to include the props center piece in you calculation.

I would not worry at all about right thrust, just correct with rudder on the way up; you could add a degree or two to feel good .

Since you are going to use a folding prop you probably should make it a pusher, remember the blades need to fold while rotating.

That is a pretty large battery for your plane, but if you need the weight go for it. What size outruner are you going to use a 28 mm 36 mm? I might go with a little smaller prop. You do not need a whole lot of power.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Last edited by gzkpez; Apr 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
58 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but I don't know the exact spects on the motor I do know it uses a 10x6 to 11x7 prop. I'm gonna start out using a 10x8 prop tractor not a pusher set up the pod will sit 6 inches over the wing wich it will put in line with the elevator I was told i needed only about 3 to 5 degrees up thrust 10 to 15 sounds like a lot
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,594 Posts
Mount the motor with no offsets at first.
If any are needed, flight testing will find them.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by gzkpez
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircrew53 View Post
I know this sounds crazy but I don't know the exact spects on the motor I do know it uses a 10x6 to 11x7 prop. I'm gonna start out using a 10x8 prop tractor not a pusher set up the pod will sit 6 inches over the wing wich it will put in line with the elevator I was told i needed only about 3 to 5 degrees up thrust 10 to 15 sounds like a lot
If you have the stock T tail then you can use much less up thrust; since it is inline with the elevator. The real purpose is mostly to get the air over the elevator and rudder, till you get some airspeed going; after the initial airspeed it will be nice most irregardless of what the thrust is, to get to altitude. Unlike power planes where you want to fly around level at all power levels, to fly real nice thrust line is critical on power planes. So if I had your glider with a t tail and pod I would go with 5 to 10 if it was me, it should not be to critical.

If you have a V tail you would need a little more and a conventional tail much more. Mostly I just point the thrust to the elevator, where the pod is on the wing and how long the fuselage matter. The higher your pod is the more you need up thrust you need, I learnt that the hard way, when I went from a glow to a more powerful electric with a much bigger prop and higher pod. When I launched it it at full throttle it really wanted to go down, till it started moving then there was no problem, I latter added a little more up thrust and leaned to slowly add power when launched .

I also have not seen any difference in a tractor or a pusher, in thrust or performance, other the the pusher you can add a folding prop (which is big). With an electric you can reverse the direction of the motor so no special prop is needed . Remember if you are using a folding prop to make provision for the Props center section.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old May 17, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
58 Posts
Well I'm almost finished with the pod AUW of pod with motor esc and battery is 13.04 oz any input?