to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusN
The only high lift device which I could imagine working on a plank are slats or nose camber increasing devices such as a drooping nose or Kruger flaps. I'd hate to steer a plank through the deployment phase of the latter, though.
A small split flap at 40%c will slow the plane without pitching the nose down (in fact it may pitch up a bit). Also a drag bar that extends from the tip of the fin could be used to make the Cm more positive without the lose of lift associated with elevator.

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:52 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters
A small split flap at 40%c will slow the plane without pitching the nose down (in fact it may pitch up a bit). Also a drag bar that extends from the tip of the fin could be used to make the Cm more positive without the lose of lift associated with elevator.
When I hear "slow down" I first think "high lift". But FBW has come clean now that it's mostly about bleeding away speed, so the split flap does work. Or does it increase Cl as well? I also like the idea to pitch up with drag high up without losing section Cl.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I sure dig Ed's ballast drop plan with minichute/big streamer. Personally I think the lands can be done without any help slowing. Ian and I have been doing it with our JW/Firebird all season and never get/got dinged on landings ever.
For me, I'm not going to fly any ship at a weight I can not handle. I fly a few pretty fat ships. Sometimes the slowing IS the reason for a crash. Once near the ground and slowed your OPEN SEASON for any little bit of tubulance. I think a low fast down wind approuch, yes diving in at the front side of the hill a bit off angle with enough speed to handle a strong pull then stall turn without mushing works well if practiced. Then you're only exposed for that quick second in the stall turn with minimal ground speed and close to the dirt already. LOTS of practice runs required in BIG lift to establish the judgement require to approuch the hill with EXACTLY the right amount of speed to finish the turn at LOW speed. When in doubt just come in hotter and complete the turn with too much speed and just float back out onto the front and try again.
It'll still be cool to see a better mouse trap though, I like the BBB, BYE BYE ballast move! Not toally sure I want a floater in a hurricane landing either though. Speed = control in low rough air landing situations.
Yesterday I brought in my LJ up the backside and I just brought it in HOT did one S turn to make it a bit less painful then snagged it out of the air by a wing tip in substantial turbulence after one of the best DS acro flight of my life. I was estatic!!!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:45 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusN
it's mostly about bleeding away speed, so the split flap does work. Or does it increase Cl as well?
Anything that produces drag (decelerates the air) bellow the wing increases the circulation so there must be some lift but itís definitely not efficient lift.

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:37 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Oh great. The Pred likes it, so now I'm committed to building it.
I just hope he never hears about my ballast weight on a threaded rod linked to a sail servo so I can do in-flight adjustable CG trials on on a single flight...
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
Ed, I'm certain that ejectable ballast is against the BMFA safety code, which would, if my understanding is correct, invalidate your insurance......

satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Well shoot, life is full of risks.

8 hurricanes
2 stabbings
3 muggings
Several nasty Cuban/Brasilian/Venezuelan ex girlfriends.
2 ex wives
22yrs extreme sports

Where were the BMFA when I needed them for more than tossing a plane off a hill?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:01 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Several nasty Cuban/Brasilian/Venezuelan ex girlfriends.
WOW! You've had a brasilian girlfriends? Thats A LOT of girlfriends!
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Yeah. A close shave there...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:55 PM
Newcastle Australia
Joined Nov 2002
894 Posts
I am sure most RCGroupies are able to use a jettison ballast system with caution.

So I guess the disclaimer would be, Check your policy and local club rules before making your final decision and always jettison safely.

Nuf about safety, any other ideas?
fatboywings is offline Find More Posts by fatboywings
Old Oct 18, 2007, 04:00 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,263 Posts
I was thinking of using blade type spoilers on my next plank. I thought of a 4 servo setup but i want to reduce the amount of control surfaces on my TE to reduce the risk of flutter. I think either Graupner or Multiplex make some very good blade type spoilers.
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Oct 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,263 Posts
Wow jeeeezzz, when i was writing up my post (the previous one) i didnt know there were already 4 pages to it. Woops, sorry if im just repeating someone else's answer...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 04:06 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,263 Posts
Another idea or technique i used was to program about close to 80 degrees of up elevator on my flying wings. And when i come in for landing pop the elevators up to a near vertical point, and it stalls the wing into the ground. If you do this while your into the wind, the landings are much more smoother...Works great with a fomie...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Yeah. A close shave there...
Who, you or the brazilians.......?

Can't believe that no one else picked that first!!!!! D:

Steve
(sorry for hijacking the thread)
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline