HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:45 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Jamie, the owner of Boomtown Hobbies. Is a great guy. I have lot's of there products and never hesitate to order from him. You can email him a question, and usually get a promt answer. Lee
Whoa...Lee...is that a picture of one of your tree trimmers or perhaps one of your bush whackers?

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
You will be limited to battery size but, if scale is your thing...or something like that. IMHO, pod and boom is more versatile and flys better than a full fuse that acts as a wind catch. Just saying....

Mike.

BTW, Boomtown has some fine products. I've bought a lot of stuff from them..
Yes, scale is my thing but sense I crash more than land, I'm tempting to do the pod and boom thing until I can actually do a planned landing. All I'm reading is how much better they fly and look. The look does nothing for me but if it's flying better maybe I'll just do the scale thing when I learn CP, or stop crashing the coaxial.
On a side note, I was flying a coaxial in the sim at the LHS and the sim was behaving like my CX2 does. Point being that I figured my heli wasn't set up right or some adjustment was out of whack but if the sim behaved the same way, maybe I'm expecting to much. Of course my skills DO need to improve (as my sign on suggest) but my previous experience has been with the syma 107g, which is a much snappier heli, imo. I realize the CX2 is a much more involved heli and will put me on track to do CP (the syma won't) but that being said, I guess I thought the CX would respond like the syma.

DISCLAIMER: Not diss'in the CX!! Be cool! I love it, look at it when it's on the shelf.... yadda, yadda, yadda
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
Haha, that is one of my POLE climbers. LOL
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Haha, that is one of my POLE climbers. LOL
Well, we definitely liked the pole climber better - SWITCH BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's enough hot air on this thread let alone a balloon to put it in!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Brushless

Well, I got my brushless up and running. The rudder was reversed and don't you just think that caused a little excitement on 3s!! For now, it has to be on its best behavior at 2s and normal settings on the DX6i. Then, I'll work my way up to the 3s. When I first hooked it up, especially since the rudder was reversed, it was like a bronkin bull. It was ALL OVER THE PLACE I'm glad I tried it out in the 2 1/2 car garage because in the house it would have destroyed itself and the furnishings. Not to mention my basement rec room has low ceilings. No, Lee, I couldn't patch them if they got marked, they're 12 X 12 old-style tiles.
The whole thing got changed around to:
1811 -2900 motors instead of the C-10's.
10A ESC's instead of 6A.
GA-250 gyro (MEMMS style) instead of the Eflite G110 piezo gyro. Much smaller package and better holding.
The mixer was a problem that was solved with an Arduino microprocessor loaded with OllieW's code.
The battery tray is the typical credit card mod with stock skids. Luv is after me to put the Blade 400 skids and flat plate Velcro stuff on it again. It does keep the heli from tipping as easily.
The V-Tail thread has many of the antics involved with getting this thing going. Luv and Ollie are the real heroes. The switch to the 10A ESC's seemed to give this more umph along with the other motors.
I'll fly this as is with the wimpy settings until I get more time under my belt. I'll try different blades and 2s vs 3s power as time goes on.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:09 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
Ok KJ. How's this one?
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Well, I guess it'll just have to do.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,260 Posts
Lee, you gotta get that girl off your sig, I cannot stop staring to pay attention to anything else. Hehe. Nice to see KJ with a decent setup. The addition of the 10a esc's is a response to your ealier post noting how hot the 6a versions were getting. It clued me in to the fact the heat generated was a clue of how poorly they were performing and very low efficiency. Heat is always resistance losses due to amperage draw. They work but were killing the flight times and choking off how much power was actually driving the motors. Now your little heli on 3s is gonna scare you. At 100% throttle end point setting on your DX6i you will now have full power. Not sure I would want to see it on 125%. I tell you guys the truth, if you take this outside and full throttle this thing the next instant it is up 60ft before you can throttle it down. And now with those 55deg blades these things rock!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Not sure I would want to see it on 125%.
without going through the coaxmixer-training procedure one should go with 100%... if one performs the training procedure the resulting behavior would be the same for both 100% and 125% -> ergo, 100% is the right way to go (or lower if one doesn't want to have all power available )

BTW, nice build, Luv!
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
WOW!
Now that all the frustrating steam has lifted, I'm glad to see that KJ has one very nice, super flying heli to enjoy. It goes to show you how at times something simple can cause a problem and be easily overlooked.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
It's not all rosy. It seems to do something different on each power up. Details at 11. You have to laugh or you'd cry.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
There was a recent discussion on the Walkera CB-100 thread about tail wag and one guy said no matter what he did he could not get rid of it. His solution was to put boom support struts on it and get as much tension on them as he could. I've got those on my Lama 4, but can never get them very tight, Do any of you guys have them on your CX-2's? If so, where did you get them and can you post some pics? Do you think they help much?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Lookie
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Lookie
Lookie what?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,260 Posts
His new heli just showed up. Pretty much all brand new and the best of my stuff.
OlliW gyromixer and Robbebox.
Microheli frame. New Abec 3 bearings on the inner shaft. I may have used ceramics. Not sure now.
My last Skytec swash, skytec gears. Skytec lower hub, skytec upper adj collar. Helideluxe custom outer shaft.
450 skids w/velcro mod.
2.0 ext shaft mod. (pretty sure these are Lee the Tree's shafts) and a spare
Xtreme boom w 5mm cf boom and trex cf 250 stabs
Boomtown light kit. This needs some work though
6100e rx
Custom SK micro digital metal gear servos on hole 3
10a Turnigy esc's
OlliW gyromixer.
Fusano 250 canopy mod
Xtreme folding grip mod W/55deg blades and whites. Also stock new folding whites and blacks
Ch hobby shortened chrome flybar mod with polished head
Shortened wiring covered and braided

Think that about covers it. And this is one of my prettiest helis ever.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis