SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I would almost have to recommend to any newcomer that they refrain from reading the first few pages of this thread, or any new product thread for that matter. Seems the first few pages are literaly filled with bashing and inexplicable downright hatred for the new product. Look at some of the posts in the first few pages of this thread. "junk" "crap" "overpriced" "clone" "no different" "will never buy", you get the picture. By this reasoning, all of our toys are over priced "junk". So are our cars, houses, all that we own. Pretty discouraging. But, I got one anyway, lol.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I bought one of these from Ebay and it arrived today. It is in perfect condition as near as I can tell. It's pretty exciting for me. But, I can't fly it. No way, no how. I have a fleet of lesser heli's to learn on. Right now as I have mentioned I am up to a 120 SR, next perhaps a MSRX or more likely a MCPX V2. I am in the market right now for both of those. Now, here is the "stupid"? part? LOL. I would LOVE to hear/see/feel, well maybe not feel this heli spin up. Can I put some type of weight on the skids and just crank up the motor a little bit? Just a teeny bit? Is this going to be damaging to my heli? Or less importantly, ME?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I bought one of these from Ebay and it arrived today. It is in perfect condition as near as I can tell. It's pretty exciting for me. But, I can't fly it. No way, no how. I have a fleet of lesser heli's to learn on. Right now as I have mentioned I am up to a 120 SR, next perhaps a MSRX or more likely a MCPX V2. I am in the market right now for both of those. Now, here is the "stupid"? part? LOL. I would LOVE to hear/see/feel, well maybe not feel this heli spin up. Can I put some type of weight on the skids and just crank up the motor a little bit? Just a teeny bit? Is this going to be damaging to my heli? Or less importantly, ME?
Ha ha, there goes the first crash and split forhead......

Really tho, you can throttle it up but keep it well under 50% throttle, that way you will stay with negative pitch, and for gods sake, get training gear on it ASAP.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Let me throw some words of advice in here. For the FP to 450 guy. The best thing you can do, and I speak of this from experience. Set up your FP so that when you throw the hold switch the motor is live. Probably arounf 35% at zero throttle. Now the only way to stop the motor is to throw the hold switch. Even if you dont crash. set it up so that when the stick is at full down the motor is still spinning the rotor. it will teach you to throw the hold switch to stop the rotor every time. that will prep you for needing to hit that switch in an emergency.

Also with the pitch at 40 you may not snap into the ground, but the bigger helis need a little negative pitch to come down when moving forward. You are goung to find that at 40 if you are going full forward it wil be hard to slow the bird without climbing. I have the Nano CP the MCPx anf the 450. if you can't fly the Nano and the Micro CP, you shouldnt be flying the 450. Im sure hovering ill be easy enough, but once you transition to fast forward flight you will be missing a skillset that the smaller CP helis can teach you. With a lot less cost during failure as well. Keep in mind, one crash of the 450 can easily exceed the cost of a new Micro heli. I landed on uneven ground and it caused the 450 to have a rotor strike at low RPM. That little boo boo cost $50 to repair.
thanks for the tips. I noticed that on some videos, you hear the thr cut switch turn off and the blades spin up. Im going to try that.
I may knock down the Pitch a bit to 30-35...i just found 25 to be abit bit to much on a first flight lol.

I hear ya on the small crash...
This little one on my Maiden costed almost $80 but i did upgrade to some alum parts i.e swash sadle, tail braces, had to get new FB set and said i might as well get a main and tail gear set...ohh had to get the OWB and sleeve...but that needed to be replaced anyways..she was just over year old with little to no maintenece done...
and had to factor in the shipping cost...
Blade 450 3D Maiden (5 min 19 sec)

I also changed the pitch to match the thr @ 50% just incase i want to go into idle up.

As for sim i have clearview, but got Phonex last night..thats a freaking nice simulator

cheers
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,459 Posts
I'm a friggin idiot. We had a fly in at a gymnasium. Towards the end I decided to hover the 450 around. Just hover, nothing fancy. Managed to lose orientation in the lights. I just lost it. Nearly hit myself in the face, then put it into the wall. Carbon fiber went everywhere. The damage report is minimal, under $50. I'm more upset at the idea I could have hurt someone. Just keep running it through my head and cant figure out what happened. I just couldnt see it. Lesson learned, but still very upset with myself. The "what-ifs" are kiling me on this one.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Very glad you or someone else not hurt. I know the feeling. Just the other day I totaled one of my planes due to idiocy. (not saying yours is due to that). Now after I've salvaged the electronics and sold them off for less than half of what I paid for the plane I keep rehashing it and coming up with a million ways that I could have avoided it. Ha, just yesterday I put my Pitts Biplane in a tree 40 feet up. One ladder, one extra long "plane getter", one near fall off the ladder, and I got it down, with a broken wing.
I am not even going to attempt to hover my 450 untill I can do it consistantly on the MCPX V2.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Very glad you or someone else not hurt. I know the feeling. Just the other day I totaled one of my planes due to idiocy. (not saying yours is due to that). Now after I've salvaged the electronics and sold them off for less than half of what I paid for the plane I keep rehashing it and coming up with a million ways that I could have avoided it. Ha, just yesterday I put my Pitts Biplane in a tree 40 feet up. One ladder, one extra long "plane getter", one near fall off the ladder, and I got it down, with a broken wing.
I am not even going to attempt to hover my 450 untill I can do it consistantly on the MCPX V2.
Thanks, I'll be the first to say mine was out of stupidity. I can tear it up with the Nano and MCPx. Figured hovering the 450 was a non issue. I was very, very, wrong. I don't mind crashing, but the idea of hurting someone makes me lose sleep.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Actualy, I'm suprised it was allowed for you to fly the 450 in the gym. In the local club here is in a full size basketball court and heli is limited to 2 oz. A decent pilot could easily fly in that large of a space, yes. But too risky if something goes wrong. My 450 scares me just sitting there, lol.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
thats a bummer woosker..our club lets 450's and thats the biggest...should of seen the look when my feind hovered he T rex 550e around last year..i think thats when the 450 size rule came in to effect lol

weather is shaping up this weekend for a few flights hopefully...;0)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
I hover mine in a gym too. I won't do it with kids around though.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
478 Posts
Quote:
I'm a friggin idiot. We had a fly in at a gymnasium. Towards the end I decided to hover the 450 around. Just hover, nothing fancy. Managed to lose orientation in the lights. I just lost it. Nearly hit myself in the face, then put it into the wall. Carbon fiber went everywhere. The damage report is minimal, under $50. I'm more upset at the idea I could have hurt someone. Just keep running it through my head and cant figure out what happened. I just couldnt see it. Lesson learned, but still very upset with myself. The "what-ifs" are kiling me on this one.
I did that a few weeks ago with my SR. I lost it for a second in sun glare while making a hard banked right turn coming back towards me. The next second I could see it, it had rolled out of the turn and was headed sideways at full speed for the side of my car and my gf. I rolled it full right and managed to pull it out and cleared my car window by inches, my gf was able to duck in time... I immediately hit throttle hold and then it slammed into a fence. I had the same feeling though, going over and over what went wrong and not being able to pin point it. It happened too fast and in that second I couldn't see it, I didn't know why it suddenly snapped out of the bank.

Less learned: never fly into bright light or anywhere you might lose a visual on the heli.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
I did that a few weeks ago with my SR. I lost it for a second in sun glare while making a hard banked right turn coming back towards me. The next second I could see it, it had rolled out of the turn and was headed sideways at full speed for the side of my car and my gf. I rolled it full right and managed to pull it out and cleared my car window by inches, my gf was able to duck in time... I immediately hit throttle hold and then it slammed into a fence. I had the same feeling though, going over and over what went wrong and not being able to pin point it. It happened too fast and in that second I couldn't see it, I didn't know why it suddenly snapped out of the bank.

Less learned: never fly into bright light or anywhere you might lose a visual on the heli.
Yeah, nothing puts a damper on the hobby more than the thought of hurting someone.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,459 Posts
Fix the 450. turned out to be about $78 for all the parts. Including the revolution blades. These things are junk. They don't fit. Now i either need to return them to the hobby store, or find a way to add spacers or something. with the grips tightened down till they are out of thread the blades still have enough play to easily touch the boom. Avoid these blades.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
That doesn't sound good. How much are these blades? Have you ever tried the Blade brand carbon fiber blades? And finaly, why not use the wooden blades? Too breakable? Alot of questions eh? lol.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Fix the 450. turned out to be about $78 for all the parts. Including the revolution blades. These things are junk. They don't fit. Now i either need to return them to the hobby store, or find a way to add spacers or something. with the grips tightened down till they are out of thread the blades still have enough play to easily touch the boom. Avoid these blades.
I don't think it's a problem with that brand of blades. I had the same problem with 2 other brands of carbon fiber and fiberglass blades. The wood blades must have to be thicker. What you need are shims or washers. The one I linked to are for the 450X, which look like the ones that came with my flybarless head combo for the 450 3D.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277