New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,599 Posts
to answer the question, no it never was finished. Wing design problem prevented the plane from being finished but hopefully someday the builder will redesign the wing to his satisfaction and complete the project.

It is worth reading though. Very talented guy.
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Conehead
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,234 Posts
I came into this thread about page 350 or somewhere along there. Then I went back and in my spare time, I read from page one.

Yes this is a very interesting thread. Dag's wing designs have improved about 10 fold since the first one. I do believe this plane would fly with the present set of wings, but Dag, being who he is, doesn't want to risk a hard landing and messing up the rest of the airplane.

I believe Dag's fear is on a hard landing the wing will flex too much, and then cartwheel the whole plane into lots of pieces that will take more than a couple trash bags to pick up and mre than a couple guys can do in an hour.

Dag knows the wing will hold the weight of what he wants to put in the wings and on the plane, it is the possibility of a hard landing that will rip the gear through the wing and then from there we know nothing good happens.

With a new wing design, more better building techniques than the previous 3 wings, Dag will be able to get this in the air.

Also remember this is a hobby of his, he has a young daughter who is not only the apple of his eye, but one cool kid who wants her dad to be around, and that is worth more than any model flying or not flying. He has this one chance to be her Dad and he is doing all he can to be that.

The B-36 needs more parts, 4 motors and escs to finish, a new wing and then finish everything off. All that takes $$ and at times Dag's $$ is going for things that the family needs and wants to do. Dag's new job will provide a more stable income source in the future.

Once Dag finishes up the EII wing, he will then go back and finish the C-130, from there he has a number of different roads to travel from what I have been able to surmize from reading all his postings. He may do a Mossie, then the B-36, or it may be the other way around, not sure and he also has a Helie on the drawing board that is somewhat started, but needs more finishing touches.

You also have to remember, Dag's mind is like a computer screen with about 139 windows open all at the same time.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Remember Dag has two other build threads. The C-130 and the EII thread. All under Giant Electric Planes plus he has junk drawer where many of his drawing are posted, also a WebSite,
http://www.cafepress.com/atwoodaviation
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Mar 04, 2015, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by zbrubaker
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I believe Dag's fear is on a hard landing the wing will flex too much, and then cartwheel the whole plane into lots of pieces that will take more than a couple trash bags to pick up and more than a couple guys can do in an hour.
Wing flex was the issue, but not that it would cartwheel or the LG would rip off. The wing flex was causing an issue with the flaps possibly binding during deployment if the wing was loaded (flexed).
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:12 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
Wing flex was the issue, but not that it would cartwheel or the LG would rip off. The wing flex was causing an issue with the flaps possibly binding during deployment if the wing was loaded (flexed).
I believe you are right, now that I re-think the wing flex problem.

I also think Dag said that a hard landing could push the landing gear up into the wing also,

So we will wait for Dag to build a new wing, or figure out how to stop the wing flex problem.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2015, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by dag214
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,197 Posts
Quote:
I believe you are right, now that I re-think the wing flex problem.

I also think Dag said that a hard landing could push the landing gear up into the wing also,

So we will wait for Dag to build a new wing, or figure out how to stop the wing flex problem.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Actually.
Wing #1 was scraped as the guy who built my landing gear was way off on what he said he would deliver me. It was WAY over weight and attached completely different from what he had told me it would. In fact when I first contacted him he was lazy and just gave me BS numbers, then once I order them he took the time to design them and they came out 3 times bigger where they attached to the wing, and in fact would not even fit in the wing. Because of where the attachment point were I knew the gear would fail on a hard landing. Wing #2 flexed to much and would look like a B52 wing when in the air, and also was binding the flaps against the nacelles.

Rock ON!!!!!!!
Damon
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Mar 07, 2015, 08:58 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,234 Posts
Well I tried to sumarize the wing problem, I usually read the posts, try to remember them as best as I can, yet these old brain cells sometimes get a few of those synapsas don't always do well.

I do remember the whole original landing gear problem.

Well I tried, not always spot on, but I try.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:28 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,197 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried to sumarize the wing problem, I usually read the posts, try to remember them as best as I can, yet these old brain cells sometimes get a few of those synapsas don't always do well.

I do remember the whole original landing gear problem.

Well I tried, not always spot on, but I try.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
I think you did great buddy. The thread is crazy long. I have thought about writing a summary and just closing the thread until I get something done.

Rock ON!!!!!
Damon
Old Mar 08, 2015, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by racermark
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
I think you did great buddy. The thread is crazy long. I have thought about writing a summary and just closing the thread until I get something done.

Rock ON!!!!!
Damon

DAG
if you close the thread what will all the members that carry on an intense discussion in side this thread do with there time. LOL

Mark
racermark is offline Find More Posts by racermark
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Flieger1917
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Hi guys!
I have been watching this thread for over a year.

I want to build a 1/48 scale model B-36 as a non flyer. Where did you get plans for the model and where can I find prototype airfoil shapes for wing and tail?

Any help would be appreciated!
Flieger1917 is offline Find More Posts by Flieger1917
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Flieger1917
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Sorry prototype is a model railroad term----I mean scale airfoil shapes!
Flieger1917 is offline Find More Posts by Flieger1917
Old Apr 03, 2015, 09:11 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger1917 View Post
Hi guys!
I have been watching this thread for over a year.

I want to build a 1/48 scale model B-36 as a non flyer. Where did you get plans for the model and where can I find prototype airfoil shapes for wing and tail?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sorry, I did not see this. Been very busy with family and work.

PM me a e-mail and I will e-mail you drawings and stuff.

Thanks, Damon
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by mike2663
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,565 Posts
6 engines and HUGE 19' foot wing span scale B 36 flys at NAMFI 2010 SMMAC (5 min 25 sec)

Not sure if this has been posted here but here goes.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Apr 05, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
628 Posts
Beautiful!!!

Beautiful aircraft and flight considering the wind, look at the colors (Old Glory) blowing cross wind straight out. At 228 inches just a little less than DAG's . A lot more simple with out the "D " model jets, and tried and true fuel engines. Looks fantastic in the air.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee