Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Yes ,with stock prop..................
OK, in that case, it's either my lipos or the prop. I wanted to get some Glaciers (EP Buddy sells them here in Ohio, but they were all out), so I ended up with Nano-Techs to get started. Got 260's, and I think 180's were the better call.
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,583 Posts
Bryan,

The Nano 180s perform very poorly in the UMX planes. They sag heavily under load & severely reduce performance. None of the Nano UMX packs match the thrust-to-weight & stable performance over hundreds of cycles that you'd get with a Hyp 240 UMX pack in the Beast 3D.

Regarding the prop - do you feel vibration when you spool the plane up in your hand? If so, you need to balance the prop. However - the prop would have to be severely unbalanced (enough to totally screw up AS3X & make the plane nearly unflyable) in order to actually reduce vertical performance. Even with the factory motor & prop, the Beast 3D has truly unlimited vertical & can easily climb straight up out of a hover on a quality, low-sag pack.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 15, 2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
I use the Nano-Tech 180mAh 2S 25C in my Beast and Carbon Cub SS. I have six of them and no problems. I don't expect it to fly like a profile 3D.

I have two of the Turnigy/Nano 260s and they are longer running but heavier. I actually use those when I want to fly a longer and lazier flight. Look at the BabbleBats 240mAh for kick arse, or even the 180.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,583 Posts
The Beast 3D is supposed to easily climb vertically out of a hover - just like its full-scale counterpart. Anything less falls below design-performance.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,817 Posts
FWIW, the full-scale plane has (had) a 3-bladed prop, too.

I'll make due with these for now. I've spent too much on batteries (replacing ones that went bad with two years in storage).
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710