SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM
Buy 'em, Fly 'em & Crash 'em!
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Discussion
Will there ever be Ultra Micro Axis Warbirds?

After seeing the UM T-28 and UM P51D I can't help but wonder if they'll ever make some Axis birds like the Zero or a Focke Wulf? Any one know why there hasn't been any Axis Ultra Micro Warbirds? My guess is there's a lot of problems with trying to make them small scale because of the way the fly? Something like that.
SkyPilotSam is offline Find More Posts by SkyPilotSam
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:58 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,323 Posts
Probably based on the sales of their larger counterparts, but here's some clues:
Parkzone, not E-Flite.

P-51 (39") - P-51 UMX
Spitfire (43") - spitfire UMX
Mosquito (49") - Mosquito UMX
T-28 - T-28 UMX
Corsair - Corsair UMX

So, what we're missing is an FW-190 UMX, a P-47 UMX, and a large scale B-17 (now that they've put out the B-17 UMX). I'm very surprised we haven't seen a P-47 UMX yet, would be very easy to do. FW-190 will depend on how the larger PZ does. From inside sources they say the Axis planes never sell very well.

My argument was there's a lot of folks asking for Axis planes. Until it was brought to my attention, this example: There's 40 guys quietly standing in line to buy a Parkzone P-51. There's 5 really loud guys standing in line to buy an FW-190 while asking for a Zero. In other words, there;s not a lot of people wanting Axis planes, just a few very loud guys screaming for them. Sort of like the problem FMS is having with their 1700mm series. A few "loud" customers, but poor sales.

We'll see......
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:09 AM
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Makes sense. I only wish there was a bigger market for them because having all these Spitfires, P40s, P51s, and F4U's everywhere is just kinda boring. It would be nice to at least have the Zero and FW190 in Ultra Micro form. They seem to sell well in their Aircore form.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:17 AM
Over-engineered
Ridgecrest, CA
Joined Nov 1998
1,073 Posts
Alfa models (alfamodel.cz) sells a micro Fw190D and has a prototype for a micro Zero, but they are not the crashproof RTF types that everybody seems to want these days.
Bf109G is online now Find More Posts by Bf109G
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:06 PM
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Wow. It's only around 90 Dollars for it with all electronics and about 60 without the electronics. Not a bad deal. I'll have to see if I can get one soon. The P26 looks really nice too.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:38 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,652 Posts
Flyzone's aircore product line includes 20"ws zero and fw190 with brushless power.... pretty good deal.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:51 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,954 Posts
Micro Aces has some very nice looking axis models...

http://www.microaces.com/index.php

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:00 PM
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
I've thought about Aircore but I'd have to pay around $170 to get just one. But then again to get a new plane for only about $45 dollars after you buy the set is pretty nice. If only I wasn't a 15 year old with limited money... Those micro aces look really nice. I saw Flite test's video on those and they seem really durable.
Last edited by SkyPilotSam; Dec 21, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:41 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilotSam View Post
I've thought about Aircore but I'd have to pay around $170 to get just one. But then again to get a new plane for only about $45 dollars after you buy the set is pretty nice. If only I wasn't a 15 year old with limited money. Those micro aces look really nice. I saw Flite test's video on those and they seem really durable.
The aircore power core, one airframe, and a ttx403 transmitter can be had for $140..... a bit more expensive than the umx birds.... and will fly faster, have better vertical, and the brushless motor shouldn't wear out for quite a long time.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 22, 2014, 02:33 AM
United States, OR
Joined May 2013
134 Posts
Hi Sam,
I appreciate your dilemma, although not 15, money is very tight for me as well. So I will offer this advice based on my own recent experience & hope it helps to get you going...

Start with a decent radio system... I'm sure some will disagree with me and that's ok; I'm thinking practical - that means: best bang for buck, not the newest, neatest, has all the coolest bells & whistles radios.

To me the Tactic TTX-402 / TTX-403 transmitters look very "toyish", like something that comes with a cheap video game. Note: the 403 is basically a 402 with a built in battery charger specifically for the batts used by the Flyzone P-38 Lightning... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDPFN&P=Z

The Tactic TTX-404 radio system can be had for very little extra $$, I would consider it a minimum - even for the Air Core planes. You can bind multiple Rx's to a single transmitter. I use Tactic radios for all my surface RC's, I'm speaking from personal experience

Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, fortunately it comes with a lot of Flyzone RTF's and peeps sell them off because they have TTX-650's or use the AnyLink setup with another brand radio.

I got a TTX-404 Transmitter + TR-624 receiver for $40 delivered out of the RCG classifieds recently. There was another one at the same time @ the same price. If you don't need the receiver, sell it off for $15~$20 here on RCG and you've got a decent Transmitter for as little $25 or so.

Planes...
In the "keeping costs to an absolute minimum" theme we have... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNNR&P=0 - just $40 with free ship

Add the AirCore power module for $60... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNNP&P=V - again, free ship.

Use coupon code - 01018 to SAVE $15 on a $89.00 [or more] order, and your down to $85 (delivered to the door) for the plane with AirCore power module.

Add a transmitter as described above & your talking as little as $110 total - $60 less than your estimate & $30 less than failboat's estimate. For a 15-year old on a tight budget - that's a pretty good chunk of change.

Certainly some food for thought, hope it helps...

Quote:
I've thought about Aircore but I'd have to pay around $170 to get just one. But then again to get a new plane for only about $45 dollars after you buy the set is pretty nice. If only I wasn't a 15 year old with limited money... Those micro aces look really nice. I saw Flite test's video on those and they seem really durable.
MDK_187 is offline Find More Posts by MDK_187
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Thank you for the help with the transmitter but I intend on just buying a Tactic Anylink2 instead to save some money and so I can stay familiar with my DX5e. With these coupons I should be able to save a lot and get most of what I need. Thanks again for the help!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,869 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the help with the transmitter but I intend on just buying a Tactic Anylink2 instead to save some money and so I can stay familiar with my DX5e.
why not just buy http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Receiver.html and swap out the plane's receiver?
cheaper than an Anylink, reliable, less hassle. i used this on a GP F-86 and flew that with my Dx4e. worked like a charm.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 22, 2014, 01:13 PM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
why not just buy http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Receiver.html and swap out the plane's receiver?
cheaper than an Anylink, reliable, less hassle. i used this on a GP F-86 and flew that with my Dx4e. worked like a charm.
I did the same thing cmdl. Great little receiver! The Anylink is just a hassle and a bunch of baggage to attach to your TX.
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
Old Dec 22, 2014, 02:37 PM
United States, AL, Salem
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Huh. I didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try it out! Thanks again!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, OR
Joined May 2013
134 Posts
P40flyer & cmdl - the GP F-86 has a separate Rx, ESC, etc. With the AirCore it's an all-in-one type deal, but you guys already knew that.

The Anylink is just a hassle and a bunch of baggage...
Agreed!! That's why I just went ahead & bought the TTX-404 - but, not for the AirCore. Got a FZ P-38, don't feel like trying to re-engineer it for Spektrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40flyer View Post
I did the same thing cmdl. Great little receiver! The Anylink is just a hassle and a bunch of baggage to attach to your TX.
MDK_187 is offline Find More Posts by MDK_187