New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by AstroNut
United States, FL, Cutler Bay
Joined Sep 2001
204 Posts
Multiplex Space Scooter

Hi, Everyone!

My Space Scooter just arrived. I was quite impressed with what I saw in the box. Very Nice! The Space Scooter consist of three major components: wings, fuse, and elevator. These three parts are held together by rubber bands. The servos, from what I've read so far, are held in place by hot glue. It came with a geared 400 spd motor with a what appears to be a 8x6 folding prop. I wonder if I could used my mega 16/15/6 direct drive???????

That's it for now. Photo soon to come. Once I'm back from out of town.

Angelo
AstroNut is offline Find More Posts by AstroNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2004, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisP
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,485 Posts
You can easily upgrade a Space Scooter to brushless. Just remember the suggested servos are based on using a Speed 400. If you go up significantly in speed you will need more servo power.

Also check out the aileron links which in my case were not adequate for the job :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273279
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Oct 17, 2004, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by Greg_Granville
Kamikazi
Central PA
Joined Oct 2003
687 Posts
Mine is almost ready to fly. I posted my initial impressions in the same thread as above a few messages later. My comments are mostly a comparison with the Sky Scooter (the only other 'foamie' I own)
The full length 'hinges' (just a thinner section of the wing foam) are still pretty stiff even after working then for awhile. I considered scoring part of the foam to make them move a little easier. I planned to use the HS-55's from my old Sky Scooter, but am having doubts that they are up to the task. I'm tempted to enlarge the opening an stuff an HS-85 in there. The skinny little aileron rods aren't bending for me so far, but they do appear undersized.
I was (still am?) considering stuffing a 16/15/5 in the nose of the Space Scooter and hanging a 7x5 APC on the end.
The Space Scooter has a very nice method of holding the motor and gearbox in place without glue. Unfortunately, it is molded to fit the stock parts exactly.
Sticking anything else in the nose will require cutting and carving of the foam and filling in the voids. Basically, I don't think it's as 'modification-friendly' as the Sky Scooter is.
The stock folding prop is the same as the Sky Scooter - about 9.5x6. It works OK, but I found an APC 9x6 to be noticeably better.
Greg_Granville is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Granville
Last edited by Greg_Granville; Oct 18, 2004 at 05:32 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:15 AM
Kamikazi
Central PA
Joined Oct 2003
687 Posts
Space Scooter maiden

Calm winds this morning - decided to sneak in a quick flight before heading to work. Flew the Sky Scooter first to help me make a direct comparison. I was guessing that the Space Scooter was going to be underpowered with the heavier weight and what I assumed would be a lower lift wing. First flight was with the stock motor (w/ advanced timing) and prop - C20 speed controller and the original 7-cell 600mah NiCd from my beat-up old Sky Scooter.
This is the only 7 cell pack AA pack I have - I didn't want to run the new motor on 8 cells until it's broken-in a little.

The performance on 7 cells was better than I expected. Just a little right trim and no elevator trim was needed. Climbout was almost as good as the Sky Scooter. The controls were set to the stock rates, which are a little slow compared to how I have my Sky Scooter setup. Nice loops, rolls and inverted flight are all easy even with the stock rates.
The Space Scooter flys somewhat smoother, but still very Sky Scooter like. Rolls are not as 'floppy' and inverted flight is easier. The better aerodynamics and heavier weight carries you through bigger loops if you dive for speed first.

The wing has good lift even at slow speeds. The Space Scooter glides a bit faster, but is every bit as easy to fly as a Sky Scooter.

It still has a slight lateral balance problem, so I will probably be cutting the battery slot through to allow the battery to be repositioned. When trimmed for level normal flight, and then flipped over inverted, it needs left stick to keep it level.

Overall, a nice first flight...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Soar_dude
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,290 Posts
Greg have you tried putting the space scooter wing on you sky scooter yet to see if it fits?

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:16 PM
Kamikazi
Central PA
Joined Oct 2003
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soar_dude
Greg have you tried putting the space scooter wing on you sky scooter yet to see if it fits?
Soar Dude
Yes, it seemed to fit - slight trimming of foam in a few places is needed though. Looked strange because the center section of the wing is shaped different. Servo on the bottom instead of the top. I have not tried to fly the Sky Scooter with the Space Scooter wing yet... The new wing is definitely stronger and heavier.
Last edited by Greg_Granville; Oct 19, 2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,255 Posts
Sky Scooter...best for windy days...

Yes,I'm kinda interested in the new Scooter,but the weight thing has me wary... I'm so familiar with the reworked one (CF spars,flat bottom wing,big tapered balsa ailerons and 16/15/7 MEGA motor with 2100 TP pack) that I think I'll stay with it for now...It just flys so good....and when the winds are grounding most other flyers,this is where the Scooter shines...something about that swept wing makes it cut better...here's a pic of mine the morn after my most recent flight session....AUW 23 ozs.Please keep us posted on the flight characteristics of the Space Scoot....I wonder would the 16 series MEGA fit right..??
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Last edited by dulcet; Oct 18, 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:15 AM
Kamikazi
Central PA
Joined Oct 2003
687 Posts
Nice looking Scooter there dulcet. If you have a flat bottom wing, it probably flies a lot like the Space Scooter already.
The Space Scooter has a fully enclosed motor and gearbox - which is molded to fit the stock parts. So it requires a bit of hacking to install something different. With the Sky Scooter you just shove the motor in the hole and hot glue it. Not as elegant, but simpler.

I flew the Space Scooter again last evening with some 8 cell packs. These are definitely the way to go. A bigger increase in the 'fun' factor than going from 7 to 8 cells on the Sky Scooter (w/ the stock motor/gearbox). I even managed to get an outside loop out of it. Had it down to about 12ft inverted and had no problem climbing out (inverted) and rolling back over. I borked my Sky Scooter at least twice with early attempts at that stunt

The thing I dislike the most - the Multiplex style control surface hinges... if you can call them that... Basically just a crease in the foam. They are very stiff - really puts a strain on the servos.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by AstroNut
United States, FL, Cutler Bay
Joined Sep 2001
204 Posts
Hey, Greg,

Have you though of cutting the control surfaces out and reattaching with tape?
Based on your report, it seems like to way to go if you don't want to stress the servo or increase the draw on the battery pack. I still have some of that Lexan hinge tape that comes with the FMA Razor. This is great stuff but it's (was?) only available from FMA.
I can't wait to get started on my Space Scooter. But it'll be two weeks for I can start. I'm out of town again this week and I'll be on a cruise next week.

All the best!

Angelo
AstroNut is offline Find More Posts by AstroNut
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by MVPRON
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
I just received my new space scooter yesterday. What do you guys think about using the old HS-81 servos. I noticed the slots are smaller in the new space scooter for the HS-55. Do you think it well make much of a differance i well have to trim away some of the foam and they do weigh a little more any thoughts.
MVPRON is offline Find More Posts by MVPRON
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:03 PM
Kamikazi
Central PA
Joined Oct 2003
687 Posts
If using a hot brushless setup, I'd probably go with bigger servos. I had some HS-85's here that I thought about putting in, but decided to try the HS-55's first since they fit the existing holes. I think they are adequate with the stock power system if you can loosen up the hinges somehow.
Hinge tape is probably a very good solution. I was in a hurry, so I just cut away part of the hinge area as an attempt to reduce the stiffness.

The manual calls for a four point (X-style) servo arm set at a 45 degree angle. They don't explain why, but it is to get some aileron differential which helps cancel any adverse yaw tendency. (The Sky Scooter automatically has the correct differential with a straight servo arm since the servo is on top of the wing) The servo arms I used aren't big enough - I'm looking for longer four-pointed ones that will fit the HS-55's.

The manual also talks about the importance of fore-aft balance and even longitudinal dihedral, but totally ignores the lateral balance issue...
Last edited by Greg_Granville; Oct 19, 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by MVPRON
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
Thanks for the help Greg
MVPRON is offline Find More Posts by MVPRON
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by Tfour2
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
If the aileron hinges seem too stiff on the Space Scooter you might want to break them off completely and then apply hinge tape.

I have a 3-year old Sky Scooter Pro 1 with Blenderm tape for hinges. It is applied to both the top and bottom surface of the ailerons and the bottom of the elevator. This tape sticks to the foam like crazy and has shown no signs of loosening after 3 years. I've been driving around with this plane inside my car all this time and UV degradation hasn't been observed.

Originally I applied this tape between the aileron hinges for a "belt and suspenders" approach but now the hinges have dislodged due to crashes or other factors but the Blenderm tape just refuses to yield. This tape is good stuff! The ailerons have practically no friction now and the servos move without binding, even after 3 years.

I rarely toot the horns of specific products on this forum UNLESS they have withstood the test of time. IMO, this product has clearly demonstrated its ability to perform over the long haul. I highly recommend using Blenderm tape for control surface hinging on any plane using this type of foam.

I located Blenderm tape at the pharmacy at my local hospital, since I was there anyway for other stuff.

Buzz
Tfour2 is offline Find More Posts by Tfour2
Last edited by Tfour2; Oct 20, 2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,255 Posts
Scooter hinges...

Thanks Greg...many good suggestions for hinges,I tossed the foam ailerons on the Scooter as one of my first mods and fitted 1.25 inch balsa trailing edge stock with pin hinges epoxied in place.You'll notice they are wider so it adds some sq. inches to the overall wing area and I'm satisfied with the roll performance.Oh yes,I also used a HS 81 MG servo,and this may be a good addition to the Space Scoot...from your desciption it sounds like a fun little plane...would the enclosed motor area accommodate other gearboxes than the one supplied..??Is there an air entry/exit in the motor area..??I can't help wonder what the weight is with the 8 cell pack you are using...Thanks..
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Last edited by dulcet; Oct 20, 2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by rutat
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
There are mod parts and info at Servocity.com
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat