N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
Good idea to strengthen the control linkage to the elevator. My stock clevis opened up at 90+mph and the result wasn't pretty.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by Wornpiston
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Good idea to strengthen the control linkage to the elevator. My stock clevis opened up at 90+mph and the result wasn't pretty.
McD
Yes, that is sad to hear. I use the polycarbonate/ high strength nylon mixed with the gold coated pins and locks. The plastic or nylon only units that use a piece of fuel tubing or small rubber band to keep the pushrod side of the end link clasped onto the control horn "should" be replaced annually. I've learned, like you have, that these stretch and weaken over time. Which cause failure in the air when they are stressed the most by wind resistance.
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston
Old Feb 27, 2015, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornpiston View Post
.... they are stressed the most by wind resistance.
.... and my use of an EVO 10 gasser, and my insistence on flying WOT.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by hancockdw
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,510 Posts
I've had the elevator flutter problem, too. Twice. Had to do elevator surgery both times, the last time on both halves.

Still going pretty strong otherwise. Finally have ooched the battery back far enough to get fairly axial aileron rolls. Club members keep marveling at how fast it is (no idea of the speed; doesn't look all that fast to me). Still can't land it worth a darn, though.

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:14 AM
Joined Jul 2011
326 Posts
Really? It does want a little speed upon landing approach, but nothing not easily manageable. If you only have grass to land in, I would remove the wheel pants. I took out the landing gear and wheel pants from grass catching the pants. Never pulled the landing gear mounting pad out of the fuse though. I like the model. Hell, I'd love to see an Escapade V2. I'd definitely buy it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by 3rd Try
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Really? It does want a little speed upon landing approach, but nothing not easily manageable. If you only have grass to land in, I would remove the wheel pants. I took out the landing gear and wheel pants from grass catching the pants. Never pulled the landing gear mounting pad out of the fuse though. I like the model. Hell, I'd love to see an Escapade V2. I'd definitely buy it.
Wornpiston, Perhaps you should consider the Escapade MX at Tower Hobbies.

Regards

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
326 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been flying the last two years. However, three areas stayed the same that needed attention.
1. The front could have used a nice cowling for glow and electric. Not a huge deal, but would have enhanced the looks.
2. The elevator looks the same. Unless GP's changed something at the tail, I believe the elevator flutter will still be present.
3. I really cannot believe that cheap and flimsy tail wheel assembly carried over to their enhanced design. I threw that assembly away after my Escapades first day of flying. Went with a high quality dubro assembly. Bigger tail wheel too. The assembly they decided to use just didn't work.
It looks pretty good overall. I may consider it.
Old Mar 07, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by hancockdw
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,510 Posts
Quote:
It may be partly mental. Early on I stalled and crashed it before last turn to final. Have been nervous about letting it get too slow since. I use a "spoileron" setting to kill a little lift for landing, which seems to help some. I still bounce it 3 times or more about 75% of the time. Club field is grass, but I like the wheel pans, and have stubbornly kept them. Tires are getting pretty scruffy, I need to replace 'em, so may decide to leave it "pantsless" after that happens.

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Mar 08, 2015, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
326 Posts
I still have my original wheel pants on mine, but they are both pretty banged up from a thick patch grass landing from a high wind day of flying. I have yet to tip the nose over and that goodness for that. I hate scratching or scuffing a Tru turn spinner. The landing gear took a bad brunt of that spill. So it has a new set of gear and pants waiting for it. I have to say this the landing gear fuse mounting pad is tuff. However, I've reinforced this area during the build process with thin, medium CA, corner stock and then epoxied all the joints that looked critical. I have to say this fuse is very stout with the modification enhancements. I reinforce all my models, but some models have weak spots that need addressing, but are damn near impossible to get to without monocoat dissecting. Gonna bring her out soon and see if the aged Zippy 2s lipo receiver pack still has the capacity to hold a decent charge. First one that's coming out in a few weeks will be the Eflite Pulse 25e powered by an Eflite power 32 on 4s. It will be getting a new Turnigy Heavy Duty 3300mah 4s 60c rated pack. Should push some amazing short bursts of full power I would assume. We will see.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Krumpel
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
70 Posts
Looks like we are getting a new bigger redesigned Escapade...

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...pma1210_e.html

I really like the look!
Krumpel is online now Find More Posts by Krumpel
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by 3rd Try
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpel View Post
Looks like we are getting a new bigger redesigned Escapade...

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...pma1210_e.html

I really like the look!
Krumpel, It's actually a larger version of the Escapade MX that came out last year. It was a success building off the Escapade name with a mid fuselage wing design. I don't own one but will in the future, maybe next year.

Regards

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by Krumpel
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
70 Posts
I don't think it looks anything like the 40 size MX. The previous MX has a lower profile forward mounted canopy that's just ugly to me.

Then again, as an wise old fellow once told me, "Beauty is but a light switch away".

Take care,
Ed
Krumpel is online now Find More Posts by Krumpel