SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2015, 04:03 PM
Team Hitec
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,163 Posts
I would advise fitting some kind of insulator between the ESC and receiver if possible, if the receiver gets too hot then you may run into some issues. Foam rubber may work just fine.

As far as mounting the antennas, any 90* orientation you can make work will work just fine. Most guys I see around the slopes here mount them in a "V" shaped pattern atop the fuselage up front. The system won't be bothered by any noise created by your ESC or motor, just so long as the tips of the antennas stick outside of the fuse.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2015, 07:56 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse View Post
Speed_Freak,
Is there any carbon in that fuse? If it is just fiberglass, then I don't think you need to stick the antenna out at all. I have a few gliders where everything is the the fuse and I have not had any problems. If it checks out on the range test it will be fine.

I have others with full carbon fuses where I just drilled a small hole for the 1/2 tip of the antenna to stick out. I did not put it in a tube at all, I just pushed the antenna out the hole and taped the boda to the inside of the fuse so that it would not move around.

Both of those setups have been rock solid for me.
I've been running an Optima 6 receiver in my gliders for several years. Both have fiberglass fuselages and there has never been an issue on control.
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd
Old Feb 19, 2015, 03:36 AM
Joined Oct 2004
27 Posts
Im going to take the nose section off at the weekend and see if i can locate the rx underneath the wing section and then make a small bracket to hold the boda bodies at 90 to each other but at 45degrees to vertical.
Many thanks for everyone help and i will hopefull put up some pictures to show the final layout
Speed_Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed_Freak
Old Feb 19, 2015, 06:27 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Aug 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
If its fibre glass and not carbon then just blu-tack the aerials inside the fuz. One running up down the other across the bottom of the fuz. Should work just fine. I have several thermal gliders and they all have internal antenna fixings and I can fly them till they are a dot in the sky. Never had any range problems with Hitec gear.
Same here. I usually run one down the fuse towards the tail and the other towards the nose with the uninsulated end taped down at right angles. Never had a problem running them inside foam, plastic or fibreglass. As far as I know this is a diversity system with the rx using the antenna with the strongest signal. I still use a Minima 6 that had one antenna ripped out in a crash and haven't had a problem.

The Optima 7 only has the one antenna and I've never had a problem with running that down the fuse either. Just don't stick it where the battery can get between it and your tx for any length of time..
Ken_Jungles is offline Find More Posts by Ken_Jungles
Last edited by Ken_Jungles; Feb 19, 2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Correction
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:44 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
82 Posts
SPC Port failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexm View Post
How are you connecting the spc cable to the battery? Perhaps you're creating a high current earth loop.
Spc cable is soldered to esc connector.
Reading Alans Hobby model & FAQ web links.
Re spc port "Be Carefull, reverse polarity will damage Transceiver."
The spc port uses a keyed servo connector. Very easy to get reverse polarity here if using a non keyed connector. Yes i have at times used a non keyed connector for spc port, my bad.
hi flyer is offline Find More Posts by hi flyer
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:31 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,421 Posts
lexm is not talking about reverse polarity connections. He's referring to multiple ground/return paths.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:06 PM
tomeparker
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Hi

I just took my optima 9 receiver out of it's case to make it smaller for a mini quad, so I shrink wrapped it up.

Now I've tried to power it up and it's dead - no LEDs come on at all.

I could have sorted the antennas or over heated the board - is there any way to resurrect it?
tomeparker is offline Find More Posts by tomeparker
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:15 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
145 Posts
Many active components are heat sensitive. It depends how hot they were. But if they were too hot there is no way to resurrect them.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:18 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeparker View Post
... so I shrink wrapped it up.
Make sure that the shrink wrap is not holding down the bind button. I know I have had that problem in the past, although I don't recall how the rx reacted to it.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:07 AM
tomeparker
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Yeah I've since taken the wrap off to troubleshoot and the button is OK

Seems like it must be the power regulator as nothing lights up at all on the board.
tomeparker is offline Find More Posts by tomeparker
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2010
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeparker View Post
Yeah I've since taken the wrap off to troubleshoot and the button is OK

Seems like it must be the power regulator as nothing lights up at all on the board.
Are you powering it via SPC?
If you're powering via servo connector, do you have the SPC jumper on?
lexm is online now Find More Posts by lexm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2014
18 Posts
Have you found a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with this receiver
Ewrosales88 is offline Find More Posts by Ewrosales88
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusmartin View Post
Hi, I am having trouble binding a Minima 8ch AFHSS compatible receiver to my Aurora 9 v 1.09 with Spectra 2.4 v3.01(0). The green LED on the RX blinks rapidly but upon power cycling both rx and tx the red LED blinks slowly again.

what am I missing? thanks!
Having same problem have you found a solution?
Ewrosales88 is offline Find More Posts by Ewrosales88