Joined Sep 2007
16,098 Posts
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
309 Posts
Firmware(2015 EU NORM) for TF receiver is available download

TF-series FASST Compatible receiver firmware complied for ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1 are available for download now.

Firmware download:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/

This firmware is both compatible with Futaba 2.4Ghz FASST EU and previous version.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Jan 09, 2015, 04:24 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,699 Posts
Hey chase, I know that the D modules and receivers might not be compatible with s-port, but what about an update so they at least take advantage of the fastest PXX? I know for a fact that PXX can run on it as there were a few people testing it a couple years ago.

Thanks.
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 09, 2015, 04:41 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
TF-series FASST Compatible receiver firmware complied for ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1 are available for download now.

Firmware download:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/

This firmware is both compatible with Futaba 2.4Ghz FASST EU and previous version.
That's great, but many loyal customers are still hanging in there for an update on the D-series RXs - are they already compliant with v1.8.1, and if not will they receive a firmware update to make them so? I really like the D series, especially the D4R-II with it's CPPM capability; to lose that in the EU would be very annoying.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:43 PM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
686 Posts
d.o.a. djt module

Hello Guys,
Anyone had similar issues with a DJT module on a FS Th 9X radio?
Thanks

Frsky DJT module failure- replacement module also D.O.A (4 min 18 sec)
cofl10011 is offline Find More Posts by cofl10011
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:06 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
960 Posts
Chances are good you have some loose pins in the module bay, solder-wise. Also, did you trim away the plastic cover that comes up for about 3/8" around the pins? That cover doesn't allow other modules like Frsky,etc to fully engage.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
686 Posts
Hi
Already had the first module working shorty then it dief, the replacement was d.o.a...yes, the plastic area was trimmed...
cofl10011 is offline Find More Posts by cofl10011
Old Today, 04:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
12,485 Posts
X8R RSSI - revisited

I went back to re-investigate the X8R PWM RSSI and RC circuit to produce and Analogue RSSI.....

As it turns out I had forgotten one BIG point of it which makes it a TERRIBLE RSSI system!!

There are 8 pulses per frame.
All 8 vary their width according to RSSI, BUT.... ONE of them is already very wide.
And it has a weird behaviour.....

Even when RSSI shown on the TX is stable at 95dB, that wide pulse slowly gets WIDER, and then jumps back to its starting narrower value - over and over and over incessantly.
It takes about 2 seconds to do this cycle.

The other pulses get WIDER as RSSI drops off, and because they are negative pulses, this makes the average voltage DROP. The RC circuit smooths this out to be an Analogue average voltage level.
But seeing that 'odd' pulse gets wider, then jumps to narrower, all the time, it adds a constant "2 second ramp" onto the average voltage. This value change is large enough that any linear display, or sensor, of the Analogue RSSI will change value a LOT.
eg if you set 100% for 95dB and 0% for 40dB, that variation is enough to cause the 95dB TX displayed constant, to be seen from 100% down to as low as 50% in the Analogue RSSI sourced display!! eg The TX/RX RF is really CONSTANT, but the RSSI varies a LOT - in that 'ramp' manner.

I have tried a huge range of values of resistors and capacitors, to see if there is some form of 'loading' occurring, but it does it for all tests.
In these tests I am using an E-OSD which has a direct input to an Atmel Input pin - thus a 3.3v max (range). The firmware converts this input to a % value, which you can set what voltage is the Min and the Max of the range. But its display does that 'ramping' of value, which the Oscilloscope shows IS what is truly happening at the RC circuit O/P.

I have a video of it... but basically imagine the below Oscilloscope pic has JUST that wide pulse growing slowly, to about 10% more width, and then jumps back to the starting value (much as per the value in the pics are).
10% doesn't look (or sound) like much, but it makes a HUGE difference in RSSI % readout!

When the RSSI is more down around 50dB (true Telemetry displayed RSSI), all the other pulses are wider then and because of that, this 'odd' pulse getting wider is less of a percentage of the total drop - thus the 'ramping' cycle's effect is WAY less. So the display when it is down at 50% RSSI, only wavers (say) 50% down to 40%.

In the Ocilloscope waveform of the Analogue RSSI you can see the "DC line" (value) sit at, say, 3.2v and then decline, slowly, down to 2.7v and then jump back to the 3.2v and then start that cycle again.

The fact that the X8R PWM RSSI point has the pulse growing in width, even when it is somewhat 'buffered' by the 1K resistor, suggests it is the X8R (firmware) that IS actually creating this ramping effect.
I had already tested this stuff fed into a Cyclops Storm RSSI port and it was doing the same there too. (this time the E-OSD Atmel input).

So what is that all about!!!??? What kind of system is that!!???

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Today, 04:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
12,485 Posts
Does anyone know EXACTLY WHAT any device with PWM RSSI does with the PWM RSSI input signal?? And what is the standard PWM RSSI exactly???

If they take just ONE pulse out of the 8... and use the first wide one as the 'start bit'... then I guess they would/could get it right. Though at low RSSI values the other 7 pulses CAN end up the same width as this odd one, so then how would they determine the start bit?

And then... why would anyone... FRsky.... make a 'ramping' pulse anyway? When the RSSI is truly steady.
And also... how come FRsky THEMSELVES can get a Telemetry feed back to the TX, which IS a stable display? I guess they are NOT sending back this warped pulse train for that Telemetry!

I am pretty sure the D4R-II has this same RSSI form too.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC