HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Drezed's Avatar
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
287 Posts
Great work. Love the level of detail. Good luck on the maiden!
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:33 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Well progress has been slow but steady. It's still not quite finished but wanted to post a quick update, just the missile hangers, the missiles themselves and the exhaust to finish. All panel lines have either been drawn in or pressed in to the foam, I've heavily weathered the plane to give the appearance of it having just returned from a series of sorties, as a carrier based plane I've noticed that a lot of real aircraft look filthy so I was keen to replicate this, I've also now given it a coat of matt varnish to finish the effect.
It's not 100% perfect and I have used a little artistic licence on some of the panel lines and rivets but I'm happy with the overall effect and it should look great in the skies soon.
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:33 PM
Park Jet Guru
jetset44's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,629 Posts
Beautiful model, d-banting! I love the detailing.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2015, 10:16 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Thanks Steve, brilliant model to build and work on, I've really developed a new appreciation for the F18. Cracking design (from your plans), I've decided to shelve my plans for the F4 and I'm going to build one of your F14's next!
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 07:13 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Wobisch's Avatar
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
932 Posts
Excellent work! Very well done.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 09:36 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
After around 6 weeks, I'm now happy to say that I've finished the plane! All I've got left to do is add the coloured rings on the missiles but apart from that, everything is done and it's now ready for its maiden flight. Really happy with the overall look, if I was to build another I'd spend a little more time trying to get the canopy and nose right, I really struggled on this build but the effect is good enough for now, I've not weighed it yet but is suspect it will be on the heavier side of those that have built these. My intention is to fly it on the 1300 3s lipo, I don't think there would be an advantage to the larger 2200 but we'll see.
Once again many thanks for the encouragement along the way, this is only my third scratch built plane so I'm still learning techniques all the time and everyone has been brilliant with the advice as well. Steve, again, many thanks for a superb set of plans and extensive build manual, it's really helped with this and it all came together really quickly. Hope you like the pics and to anyone thinking of building one - do it!!!! It's a brilliant plane, easy to put together and large enough for the details to be added if you wish. I'll post a further update following the maiden, my fingers are crossed!
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 09:50 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_banting View Post
After around 6 weeks, I'm now happy to say that I've finished the plane! All I've got left to do is add the coloured rings on the missiles but apart from that, everything is done and it's now ready for its maiden flight. Really happy with the overall look, if I was to build another I'd spend a little more time trying to get the canopy and nose right, I really struggled on this build but the effect is good enough for now, I've not weighed it yet but is suspect it will be on the heavier side of those that have built these. My intention is to fly it on the 1300 3s lipo, I don't think there would be an advantage to the larger 2200 but we'll see.
Once again many thanks for the encouragement along the way, this is only my third scratch built plane so I'm still learning techniques all the time and everyone has been brilliant with the advice as well. Steve, again, many thanks for a superb set of plans and extensive build manual, it's really helped with this and it all came together really quickly. Hope you like the pics and to anyone thinking of building one - do it!!!! It's a brilliant plane, easy to put together and large enough for the details to be added if you wish. I'll post a further update following the maiden, my fingers are crossed!
The most believable paint job I've see for a while - she certainly look like she has earned her living the hard way. SuperDuper !
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:01 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Many thanks empeadbee. I have used a little artistic licence as I'm sure most planes never get in to the state mine is in even on board carriers, but I figured that from a distance it will really add an element of realism as the subtle weathering effects can be lost when flying.

We finally had a break in the weather yesterday so I took the F18 with me ready for its maiden, our resident EDF and pusher jet expert, Pim, took a look at the plane for me and he explained he had concerns with potential flutter on the rear stabs so sadly it didn't get to fly for fear of a very short flight resulting in a black bag at the end of its journey! Back to the drawing board with the rear control surfaces. He recommended the use of carbon rod (hollow) rather than the rod I'd used, I'm pretty sure this is where the play exists so I'll cut my ones off and replace with new stabs embedded with the tube. Frustrating but I'd sooner be safe than sorry. With Spring on the horizon I'm keen to sort this out as soon as possible and then it will be maiden attempt number two!...
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:30 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_banting View Post
Many thanks empeadbee. I have used a little artistic licence as I'm sure most planes never get in to the state mine is in even on board carriers, but I figured that from a distance it will really add an element of realism as the subtle weathering effects can be lost when flying.

We finally had a break in the weather yesterday so I took the F18 with me ready for its maiden, our resident EDF and pusher jet expert, Pim, took a look at the plane for me and he explained he had concerns with potential flutter on the rear stabs so sadly it didn't get to fly for fear of a very short flight resulting in a black bag at the end of its journey! Back to the drawing board with the rear control surfaces. He recommended the use of carbon rod (hollow) rather than the rod I'd used, I'm pretty sure this is where the play exists so I'll cut my ones off and replace with new stabs embedded with the tube. Frustrating but I'd sooner be safe than sorry. With Spring on the horizon I'm keen to sort this out as soon as possible and then it will be maiden attempt number two!...
Sane man. It takes a lot to say NO when you have the bit between your teeth and the sun is warm for the first time this year...
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:31 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Thanks Mike, it really wasn't easy not flying especially as the weather hasn't been great since then.

Well, it's been a little while but decided to cut in to the fuselage and remove the stabs and the problematic carbon rod, I decided on a 3mm brass tube to replace the carbon, still just as light but with significantly greater torsional rigidity, I manage to salvage the original stabs simply cutting the rod out then replacing and using epoxy to ensure everything is rock solid. Now it's all complete, everything spackled and repainted p, new panel lines drawn in etc the result is great, impossible to tell that a repair had taken place and absolutely no slop in the control surfaces at all, with the exception of the slight movement that is built in to the servo I'm using, very pleased with the result and now confident that she'll fly.

I also used the opportunity to ensure that both stabs are exactly in the same flight plane, I was always a little concerned that previously there was perhaps a degree or two between them, probably not enough to notice in flight but it's one less thing to worry about at maiden time.

The only remaining job is to glue back the access panel, although I may opt for a magnet system to ensure easier future access in the event of a replacement servo being required etc, I'm undecided on this right now.

I also took the opportunity to add highlights as well as lowlights to the 'panels' the effect is even more impressive in reality and shows subtle differences in colour between the panels as on the real carrier based planes. I also couldn't resist adding more panel lines to the underside, I know these are totally pointless as its a belly lander but I couldn't resist!

Hopefully it flies well, should look great in the air.
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 02:58 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Wobisch's Avatar
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
932 Posts
I had the same problems with carbon rod's. Torsion was not so good.

Your paint scheme is very realistic. Like it.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:46 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Many thanks Wobisch, its amazing what a little paint and pastels dusted on can do.

I'll definitely not be using carbon in the elevator stabs of future builds, I think the brass rod idea or something similar is more robust and negligible weight increase over carbon.

Hopefully it will pass it's maiden flight and I'm going to try and get some video of the flight and post on here too.
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:20 AM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_banting View Post
Many thanks Wobisch, its amazing what a little paint and pastels dusted on can do.

I'll definitely not be using carbon in the elevator stabs of future builds, I think the brass rod idea or something similar is more robust and negligible weight increase over carbon.
Stainless steel tube?
Quote:

Hopefully it will pass it's maiden flight and I'm going to try and get some video of the flight and post on here too.
That'd be nice
Mike
P.S. Drove Google Earth through Rustington - not exactly South of Francen is it, but I've lived in much worse places .
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:08 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Hi Mike, I did consider stainless tube but the LHS didn't appear to sell it strangely, I think the brass rod is just as light and strong though.
As for Rustington, it really depends where you travelled, good and bad parts I guess but only a mile from the beach and easy access to the South Downs so plenty of places to fly so it's all good. Sadly no it's not the South of France though! Lol!
d_banting is offline Find More Posts by d_banting
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 02:06 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_banting View Post
Hi Mike, I did consider stainless tube but the LHS didn't appear to sell it strangely, I think the brass rod is just as light and strong though.
As for Rustington, it really depends where you travelled, good and bad parts I guess but only a mile from the beach and easy access to the South Downs so plenty of places to fly so it's all good. Sadly no it's not the South of France though! Lol!
ok every cloud has a silver lining
But you, in company with lots of others, have quite a nerve calling that pile of abandoned, rounded rocks a "beach"
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Park Pilots Foam F-18 Hornet 44"WS carl rich Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Jun 25, 2006 02:43 PM
F/A-18 Hornet Foam Parkflyer jetset44 Pusher Prop Jet Models 3262 Apr 14, 2005 03:38 PM
2 Seater F-18 Hornet Canopies... gbruce Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 8 Oct 06, 2003 02:39 AM
F/A-18 Hornet Plan Built daladiesman Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1 Oct 29, 2002 11:40 PM
Hornet CP .... finally ... part 2 cyhyam Electric Heli Talk 90 Aug 05, 2001 10:40 PM