HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:39 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermark View Post
Imagen the shaft of the motor stuck out the bottom of the mount 2 inches and had a prop mount on it. Then paint the top of ...
Ok. Great. I got it. Thanks! Your way of envisioning the situation helped a lot. I think one of the big barriers that prevented me from understanding is that the direction the motor spins is not important to the flight controller; only the direction that the propellers spin is important (and leading edge must always go first, of course).
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2015, 01:36 AM
Joined Apr 2005
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Ok. Great. I got it. Thanks! Your way of envisioning the situation helped a lot. I think one of the big barriers that prevented me from understanding is that the direction the motor spins is not important to the flight controller; only the direction that the propellers spin is important (and leading edge must always go first, of course).
Personally, I'll be very much interested in seeing the results you'll get, alternating the motors mounting up & down to fit larger props since I have faced the issue myself and had to switch from 16" to 15" props on my flat octo for this particular reason.

Good luck & keep us posted!!
boustany is online now Find More Posts by boustany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2012
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Two questions about motor rotation:

The WKM manual shows the following rotation scheme for the alternating motors of a hexa (see below image).

Question 1:

Would it be possible to simply switch the direction of every motor, so that motor 1 is clockwise, motor 2 is counterclockwise, ... ? Basically, every other motor would still turn in alternating directions; it's just that each motor would be going the reverse direction as in the diagram of the manual.

Question 2:

Would it be possible to turn every other motor upside down, followed by reversing its motor direction, and mounting its prop backward so that every other motor is a pusher, while every other motor remains a puller? When viewed from above, all the motors would still be going in the directions shown in the manual (that is, M1 = counterclockwise, M2 = clockwise, ...).

My goal is simply to turn every other motor upside down on an octo, followed by flipping every other prop upside down and reversing every other motor direction so that I can fit larger props.
I like your way of thinking, why did I not think of that. I can know put larger than 12" props on my old AD8 without the cost and hassel of changing the booms.
phil222 is offline Find More Posts by phil222
Old Feb 28, 2015, 05:28 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil222 View Post
I like your way of thinking, why did I not think of that. I can know put larger than 12" props on my old AD8 without the cost and hassel of changing the booms.
It's actually a bit of old news. I decent number of "pros" do this (see attached pics). I came up with the idea on my own; but, after doing some research, I see that others have already done this with good success. Such multicopters fly perfectly fine. The general rule of thumb is that the props should not overlap each other by more than about 30%. If this is followed, there should be zero loss of efficiency. In fact, theoretically, it is purported that efficiency should increase slightly! I don't remember which individual spelled out all the details, but I do know that he is a maverick in this area, and others have substantiated his claims both in theory and in practice. Stability and all other flying characteristics remain exactly the same as when all motors are facing up. The only change that sometimes occurs is that the multi may be a bit louder due to turbulences around the prop tips.

My whole idea behind this is more than just being able to accommodate larger props, though. All of my copters have interchangeable arms--and other parts--already (quad, hexa, and octo). The arms are connected by 3 bullets in a horizontal row. Thus, flipping an arm automatically reverses motor direction, since two bullets are swapped. So, I have one set of 8 arms with medium sized props/motors that fit the quad, hexa, and octo. In order to fit the octo, however, they must be flipped, as discussed. I can then also have another set of 8 arms with larger motors/props that also fit all 3 copters, only they would need flipping on both the hexa and the octo in order to fit. Already, these copters also transform into handheld gimbals and fit into small cases. They also have landing gear and gimbals that are quick connect and interchangeable, depending upon whether I need retracts, a large camera, a small camera, .... And they all use the same 10,000 mAh 6s lipos. This is my vision. Why not save money and have much, much more versatility? I am surprised that such all-in-one solutions are not already on the market, and can only think that companies either just don't see it, or, more likely, they know they stand to make greater profits by selling discrete systems. I am toying with the idea of producing and manufacturing, if I can work out the details. It really is a direction that I think this field ought to go.

Here is a video showing some of my latest creation.

Aerial & Handheld Gimbal Solution AM4 (4 min 33 sec)
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Feb 28, 2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2012
228 Posts
Quote:
My whole idea behind this is more than just being able to accommodate larger props, though. All of my copters have interchangeable arms--and other parts--already (quad, hexa, and octo). The arms are connected by 3 bullets in a horizontal row. Thus, flipping an arm automatically reverses motor direction, since two bullets are swapped. So, I have one set of 8 arms with medium sized props/motors that fit the quad, hexa, and octo. In order to fit the octo, however, they must be flipped, as discussed. I can then also have another set of 8 arms with larger motors/props that also fit all 3 copters, only they would need flipping on both the hexa and the octo in order to fit. Already, these copters also transform into handheld gimbals and fit into small cases. They also have landing gear and gimbals that are quick connect and interchangeable, depending upon whether I need retracts, a large camera, a small camera, .... And they all use the same 10,000 mAh 6s lipos. This is my vision. Why not save money and have much, much more versatility? I am surprised that such all-in-one solutions are not already on the market, and can only think that companies either just don't see it, or, more likely, they know they stand to make greater profits by selling discrete systems. I am toying with the idea of producing and manufacturing, if I can work out the details. It really is a direction that I think this field ought to go.
I'm sure your interchangeable setup would appeal to people and eventually will be taken up by one of the current manufacturers at some time if you don't do it.

I operate commercially and prefer not to upset critical connections on a regular basis - that's just my personal preference. A quick release on the camera is absolutely essential in my book.

Good luck with your vision if you get to take it too market.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:48 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2012
228 Posts
LED flashes rapid green - what does this actually mean?

Every time about 30 seconds after powering up the WK-M the LED flashes green rapidly for a few seconds. The manual says "Manually or Automatically Recording is successful in Course Lock and POI flying". Does this mean the WK-M has recorded its compass heading?
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
11,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil222 View Post
Every time about 30 seconds after powering up the WK-M the LED flashes green rapidly for a few seconds. The manual says "Manually or Automatically Recording is successful in Course Lock and POI flying". Does this mean the WK-M has recorded its compass heading?
That is indeed what it is telling you.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Today, 02:45 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2012
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
That is indeed what it is telling you.
It does it in the house with 4 or less satalites. I did not realise this was possible with so few satalites and so quickly as when it is outside it can take a few minutes to get a position lock (cyan flashes).
Last edited by phil222; Today at 08:06 AM.
Old Today, 10:04 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
11,956 Posts
Setting the direction of the craft is independent of the GPS and is a compass function.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800