HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:07 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
How can you expect higher quality for the price? That's all I hear from people... I want a $1000 airframe for $100.... its not going to happen....

The simple fact is the Rifle just grew by quite a bit. It can fit larger power systems, and has a wing with a carbon spar ready to crank and bank at 160 comfortably. How can you POSSIBLY ask for any more for $150??

This is on top of all the other changes, such as a white gel coat rather than paint, IE no more sanding the hinges for smooth operation....

Just sayin....

Way to go Tim and all the others at GP. If people don't like the improvements that this Rifle are going to come with, then they better be ready to pay double or triple... or quadruple... or more for an airframe that they can still grime about.
The points you made is already a step from the original Rifle (all I can remember from the original one is over heating motors and folding in the air wings, but looks like they fixed all that).

BTW, it looks painted in the molds.
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Earlier In the thread Tim mentioned that it is not painted in the mold, however it does have a white gel coat. Therefore no need to sand the control surface hinges. However, I believe the orange is the only "paint" it gets.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:07 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
So............will a 4s2200 fit........??..looking forward to getting this one...

Yes.............read the previous posts..looks like a 4s 2200 will fit.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Last edited by shhhhh!; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Tim,

I understand if you are reluctant to do a comparison but knowing that you had one, How does the 1 meter rifle compare to the Sunracer. It is about the same size but considerably less money.

Thanks!

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Yes please compare!
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:58 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,906 Posts
I started out writing a comparison, but tell you what, yes, I am a little reluctant. I purchased my SR III from Soaring USA in all sincerity with my own money and assembled, worked on and flown on my own time just to educate myself, see what the best is like and have lots of fun!!! I've posted extensively over in the SR III thread including plenty of personal comments, so you can get most of what I would say over there anyway. Go back to around June 2011 if memory serves. I didn't fly my SR III much last summer because I got my F5D Viper going (but still kept flying my Rifles!).

I will say the SR III is impeccable regarding fit-and-finish, but I found it a little of a hassle fitting in the Rx and ESC. Of course, it flies fantastically. Surely faster than the Rifle 1M on equal power because it's a thinner wing and less "draggy," but again, you can jam more "power" into the Rifle M1 (then again, making it heavier). I would say the SR III is more advanced, but also more limited (due to the space constraints inside). In any regard, the SR III is damn good. Well, there I went...I did a mini comparison anyway.

Okay?

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Thanks Tim! I lost another Rifle. This one was to radio failure. I was contemplating another but may wait for the 1 meter version.

I fixed the radio issue. Jumped ship and got an 18MZ.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:43 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
Thanks Tim! I lost another Rifle. This one was to radio failure. I was contemplating another but may wait for the 1 meter version.

EDIT !...I am thinking my post would have made 18 people laugh,but piss off 2 that just don't get it
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
PM it to me. I could use a laugh.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:47 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post

Crap!

Sorry to hear about that.

Hope it gets better from here.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:02 PM
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Why Fly High needs a bigger and slower plane to fly. Is the R1m slower and easier to see than a Swist? WFH never landed the Swist, he always had me do it. The one time he "landed" it he couldn't see it. It didn't end well.

I can't wait for the R1m! I'll bite and order one when we can!

Cheers!

Ps. Yep...the 18mz is really cool! The best part? Hand me down DX8s!
SLCPilot is offline Find More Posts by SLCPilot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Hey, SLC, accidentally order 2.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Oh yeah, your rifle would have fallen victim to my DX8 had we flown yours first.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
496 Posts
Is this new bigger rifle listed on tower or anywhere else with a video? Can't find it.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:17 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,906 Posts
I speculate it will appear on the Tower site soon with 3-view pics and the usual. The manual will also be downloadable soon as well.

No video yet. Probably have to wait until closer to spring when flying weather is more suitable. Maybe I can sneak a "hat-cam" sometime before then.

Tim
RCG Plus Member