HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill 1 View Post
Sounds like a good setup! You'll love the Slick!

I use Deans plugs on everything from a 38" EPP Slick to a 103" Extra. I would recommend getting the actual Deans, not an imitation brand.

I've had good luck with Turnigy packs and with GensAce from HobbyPartz. Lots of good battery choices available.

Brill
For the 51 Slick which GenAce are you using? and which Turnigys? 4S I assume.
keninvic is offline Find More Posts by keninvic
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Artillery! King of Battle!
Brill 1's Avatar
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
For the 51 Slick which GenAce are you using? and which Turnigys? 4S I assume.
Just follow the 3DHS recommended specs for the batteries; 2600-3300mah with a minimum of 25C.

Smaller packs will be lighter with a shorter flight time.

Brill
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:35 AM
Stick banger
Ace4's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
recently subscribed :-)

Just ordered a 51" AJ Slick - what do you guys suggest for the power connectors?

EC3? EC5? Deans Ultra?

Hacker A30-12XL
Castle Creations Phoenix Ice Lite 75 25V ESC
HITEC HS-85MGs
4S LiPo 2600mah 25C (not ordered - any recommendations?)

Thanks,
Ken

In Yuma, AZ for the winter.
Any of those connectors will work just fine. EC5 will be overkill in terms of size. Deans Ultra can be annoying to solder if you haven't used them before. Personally I use XT60 for that size, however that is because I had a lot of packs that came with those. If you don't want to solder, look into Anderson Powerpoles, I would go that route if I was starting out now. A lot of folks (including me) have had good luck with Gens Ace batteries from hobbypartz.com, you could also look into Haiyin batteries.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
For the 51 Slick which GenAce are you using? and which Turnigys? 4S I assume.
Ive been flying the Gens Ace 2500mah 25c 4s. They give me 5.5 minute flights with some left over.

I recently bought a Blue Lipo 2650 40c 4s, and it's even smaller and lighter than the above mentioned 2500s and the extra rating makes verticals ballistic.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
recently subscribed :-)

Just ordered a 51" AJ Slick - what do you guys suggest for the power connectors?

EC3? EC5? Deans Ultra?

Hacker A30-12XL
Castle Creations Phoenix Ice Lite 75 25V ESC
HITEC HS-85MGs
4S LiPo 2600mah 25C (not ordered - any recommendations?)

Thanks,
Ken

In Yuma, AZ for the winter.
I use EC5's. Don't like the EC3, though they are plenty of connector for it. I just find them hard to plug/unplug. The EC5's are definitely overkill for this application, but the plane doesn't notice the 5-10 grams more, and they are super easy to solder and plug/unplug.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
If you don't want to solder, look into Anderson Powerpoles, I would go that route if I was starting out now.
Would the 30amp Anderson Powerpole connectors be enough for most 3DHS airframes in the 51-60inch range?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,470 Posts
I wouldn't use under the 45
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
marksextra's Avatar
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Would the 30amp Anderson Powerpole connectors be enough for most 3DHS airframes in the 51-60inch range?
I think 30 would be fine. There is a slight difference between the two but the majority of the difference is that the 45 has an open place to put your wire where the 30 is closed and you have to slide your wire into it.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:28 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I wouldn't use under the 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
I think 30 would be fine. There is a slight difference between the two but the majority of the difference is that the 45 has an open place to put your wire where the 30 is closed and you have to slide your wire into it.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:34 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
marksextra's Avatar
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I can't speak for Losi, but people sucessfully use 45 amp powerpoles on 12S sytems. Your little 51 won't be using anywhere near the juice that a 12S system uses. IF you're planning on ordering some either way, then by all means get the 45amps ones; especially since there is little difference, and no notable difference in size.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:35 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
harddrive8's Avatar
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Out of the 30 and 45, I'd use what you have on hand. If you have both, or looking to order the size you need, get the 45. It's always better to go a little bigger and have some safety there, over going too small and regretting it later. Not to mention that the housings are the same. Just my 2 cents worth.
harddrive8 is offline Find More Posts by harddrive8
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
lammbn's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
the 45A are great for 12ga and higher wire. if your going smaller than that then i would use the 30A. at that size the wire will fail before the connector ever will. Technically the 30A is for 16-12ga wire and the 45A is for 10ga. i have found that some 12ga will not fit every strand in the 30A contact. two or three stick out. so i tend to use 45A on them. smaller than that though and i think the wire is too small for the 45A terminal.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:46 PM
The loose nut behind the TX
JeffSchre's Avatar
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Would the 30amp Anderson Powerpole connectors be enough for most 3DHS airframes in the 51-60inch range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
I think 30 would be fine. There is a slight difference between the two but the majority of the difference is that the 45 has an open place to put your wire where the 30 is closed and you have to slide your wire into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Depends on the size of the wire you're trying to crimp... I like the 45's, it's just easier to work with, and even easier with the right crimpers.
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,197 Posts
45A powerpoles on the 57 FTW
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
I can't speak for Losi, but people sucessfully use 45 amp powerpoles on 12S sytems. Your little 51 won't be using anywhere near the juice that a 12S system uses. IF you're planning on ordering some either way, then by all means get the 45amps ones; especially since there is little difference, and no notable difference in size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrive8 View Post
Out of the 30 and 45, I'd use what you have on hand. If you have both, or looking to order the size you need, get the 45. It's always better to go a little bigger and have some safety there, over going too small and regretting it later. Not to mention that the housings are the same. Just my 2 cents worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
the 45A are great for 12ga and higher wire. if your going smaller than that then i would use the 30A. at that size the wire will fail before the connector ever will. Technically the 30A is for 16-12ga wire and the 45A is for 10ga. i have found that some 12ga will not fit every strand in the 30A contact. two or three stick out. so i tend to use 45A on them. smaller than that though and i think the wire is too small for the 45A terminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
Depends on the size of the wire you're trying to crimp... I like the 45's, it's just easier to work with, and even easier with the right crimpers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
45A powerpoles on the 57 FTW
Thanks guys, I am planning my first purchase of these connectors, so I think I'll go with the 45's.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Unofficial NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod Thread Energy Racing Boats - Electric 14014 Yesterday 08:07 AM
Discussion Banana Hobby Customer Support Request/Q and A Thread! banana hobby Banana Hobby 1128 Dec 11, 2014 02:32 PM
Discussion The Official AirWare Q&A Thread AndyKunz Radios 95 Feb 14, 2013 09:36 AM
Discussion THE FIRST UNOFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi mods thread!!!! bluemeane Micro Ready-to-Fly 27 Aug 18, 2009 12:23 AM
Megatech H2O unofficial thread and first rewiew. grk65 Racing Boats - Electric 7 Mar 05, 2007 01:09 AM