HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2014, 01:08 AM
Joined Sep 2006
45 Posts
Idea
AirHogs Jetscream edf's on A.Hogs storm launcher? (this forum?)

First thing first, if there is a better suited forum for this, please ship me that way

yes, thats right, i'm STILL talking about SL's lol.

so, the thing i hate most about the SL is its Frickin annoying plastic props setup. one prop always ends up shooting off the shaft when its halfway across a lake or snapping a blade off when it lands upside down lol.

so i looked around in my A.hog pile, and i found a Jetscream (never enjoyed the flight characteristics, so it was thrown in the parts pile ) with edf's in perfect shape, so why not put the edf's on the SL? i would love not having exposed props on it...
randomdude is offline Find More Posts by randomdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2014, 02:22 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,040 Posts
would the ducted fan units provide enough thrust to keep the SL in the air? that is probably the only issue you need to figure out. other than that, if the ducted fans draw less current than the SL props, then you're fine with the SL ESC (brick). if not, then you may have to use the Jetscream brick.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 06, 2014, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2006
45 Posts
ya, i was going to take the old motors out, and solder the edf's to the factory leads.

anyone know of a aftermarket edf that would be suited for this application? i would really like enough power to be able to hover it in place nose up! lol
Old Dec 06, 2014, 01:32 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,040 Posts
if you want to be able to hover, non-EDF is the way to go. EDFs are overrated and misunderstood. with an EDF you will need to put in a higher cell count battery to get comparable thrust performance.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:05 AM
Joined Sep 2006
45 Posts
that makes sense. i've been out of the hobby a while, would you happen to be able to give recommendation on setup?
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:13 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,040 Posts
based on http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...equirement.pdf and what you have written, i think you want at least 150 watts/lb. so, whatever prop+motor you choose, it will need to have the motor wattage/AUW >= 150. i don't have any information on what the AUW is for the SL, you would have that info. the AUW would of course have to include the weight of whatever motor and batt you choose (ESC and Rx weigh next to nothing relative to batt and motor). you will find a lot more expertise in http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/ able to recommend specific components. i strongly recommend you move your post there or make a new post there.