HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
Discussion
FOR EDF, TURBINE, GLOW Byron F-15 my friend found a gem for landing gear

Most of you guys know Sabation here in chicago the polish dude that flies all kinds of turbine jets and planes in general. I came across a problem on my last flight. I had a picture perfect landing but my landing gear buckled in. I still blame my crazy fishing line idea that was suppose to close the doors but I think kept the legs limp instead of locking in place. SO when I touch down they broke and the jet went skidding away felt forever. I was picturing the heart broken rythem of my friend Kieth that did this wonderful amazing paint job for me. I was like oh man I am ruining this guys great job obviously not intentionally. Luckly not much damage other than the doors came off and some rash on the belly of the jet. IT could of been worse had it flipped over or something of that nature.

ANYWAYS. I could not find any replacement gear as everyone here knows byron is out of biz long time ago. I posted several wanted ads with no luck. I contacted few companies that can make them for me but we were looking at $800-1000 bucks. I was like oh no!!!!!!!

SO sabations like take a look at hobbyking they may have something that fits.

I GOT SO SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR $100bucks I bought two sets of these struts and they fit exactly my retract mechanism. THE top of the strut shaft goes right into the byron aluminum mount as pictured. THEY look great and they are all metal in comparison to the plastic byron struts.

I will have to do a little cutting of the fuse because they are slightly taller than the byron, not by much only like a 1 to 2inch.

I just wanted to share incase there is someone else that wants to upgrade the stock struts and not spend a fortune in doing so. I might have this ready and will post after pictures on completion. Might have to figure something out for the steering with the front gear, but seems doable.
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
Those are the struts im using on my t38
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
cool so we good at about 46 pounds take off and near 36 at landing?

I guess near 36lbs is landing weight take off wise I dont think there is much stress on them.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:38 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
Mine is 46lbs too
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:16 AM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
721 Posts
This looks cool. I just acquired a Byron F-15 an am considering using the existing retract mount. I do not have the Byron struts or the upper fitting shown in the photos. If anyone had an extra set of the metal upper fittings, I'd love to get a hold of them.

However, I'm considering having my own fittings machined to accept Robart struts.

I think a pair of Robart 680 struts, 2 machined fittings, and a pair of electric actuators would have me in business without having to build new structure into the airplane to take standard type retracts. Probably less than the $700 they would cost as well.

Can you guys tell me, what is the diameter of the Hobbyking strut where it fits into the Byron fitting?
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
IT fits perfect, just put some hysol inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
This looks cool. I just acquired a Byron F-15 an am considering using the existing retract mount. I do not have the Byron struts or the upper fitting shown in the photos. If anyone had an extra set of the metal upper fittings, I'd love to get a hold of them.

However, I'm considering having my own fittings machined to accept Robart struts.

I think a pair of Robart 680 struts, 2 machined fittings, and a pair of electric actuators would have me in business without having to build new structure into the airplane to take standard type retracts. Probably less than the $700 they would cost as well.

Can you guys tell me, what is the diameter of the Hobbyking strut where it fits into the Byron fitting?
If you are going to leave it light than its a perfect set up.. IF you are doing turbine, I suggest U get a custom pipe so the turbine can be mounted after the first spar. Mine is mounted in the rear and although it works i have to add a ton of batteries in the nose. Call me tomorrow during the day and I can explain.
(773)965-1178 sherlock
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:31 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

awsome, another B F-15 in the florida area.. if i can just get to it
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:44 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
376 Posts
Why don't you cut the struts instead of the fuse?
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75