SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Discussion
I am new to the RC World!

Hi guys! I am new to the RC world! I have quite a few hours rotary-wing and fixed wing and several thousand hours of simulator time but I am new to flying RC! I have ordered the CMPro Marathon kit from Nitroplanes and have ordered the Futaba 6EX FAAST radio and reciever and Hitec 645MG HS645 645 MG HS 645 HS-645MG Steering Servo for my throttle servo, #TGG30/10736 Turnigy 30cc Gas engine w/ CDI
1x #TGY-3D-17x7/17641 Turnigy 3D Gas Wood Popeller 17x7
1x #AL76spinner/9147 Aluminium Prop Spinner 76mm / 3.0inch diameter
5x #HXT12K/2 HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec for the rest of my servos, if anyone has any other suggestions as to stuff I might need please let me know. I also ordered 6V 3300mAh NiMH batteries for the reciever and the ignition system for the engine. I can't really think of anything else that I might need other than maybe a prop hub adapter, but I don't know if I actually need one or not.
charles nitrotek is offline Find More Posts by charles nitrotek
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:57 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,427 Posts
Well Charles, Welcome Aboard! You are in the correct forum so when you get a question, feel free to ask!

I would recommend a trainer for your first plane as R/C is a whole different ball game as opposed to full-scale flying. The selection you made would be a great 3rd or 4th plane and a plane like http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a271-lt40-kit-yellow.html a better choice for your first plane. Your radio would work in this plane, but you would have to purchase a smaller engine.

Do you have a club nearby to assist you?

What part of the county do you live?

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:27 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,275 Posts
Hello Charles! Welcome to the madness of the RC world. Enjoy yourself and make sure to come here often to ask questions. With that said, I agree with Jerry's post. The BEST thing you can do is find a club local to you and have them help you get started. I find I enjoy the BSing at the field as much as the building and flying

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:46 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
I gotta agree with the guys above. As much as we all hate to tell you, that plane is walking into a bad crash. There are few guys that can pick up the controls and fly a plane like that with ease. Now for the sim, I am a sim taught pilot so I am a believer in being able to fly okay with a TRAINER for your time on the sim. A sim is great, but nothing prepares you for the real thing like the real thing. My advice would be to go find a used cheap trainer on your local craigslist and learn with that, then maybe you will be able to fly the katalina.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
United States, IL, O'Fallon
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Welcome. I am new also. Can't wait to fly my first aircraft.
NoobFlyer80 is offline Find More Posts by NoobFlyer80
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
Electric foam trainers are a great first plane... let's face it, you're gonna crash and those things come close to bouncing. Think of it an an intermediate step. Good luck.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
As others have said, you need to start with a trainer first.
Having full scale experience means that you have good understading of what to do but your fingers and brain will need to adjust to a whole new scenario.

A good trainer to start with would be the Flyyzone SENSEI
(here is a link to the thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92017&page=133)

Or the Hangar 9 Alpha.

Again, go to a club where you'll get people who will gladly assist you to choose a plane, set it up (and preferably fly the maiden for you) and take ir from there.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,549 Posts
as I just stated in another thread, a properly set-up 30cc plane,(properly as in with a mild set-up)will fly easier then mosty trainers, now what it will not do is give you that few secounds of time, when you have your thumbs crossed up!
that is where a true trainer will help, so don't put that plane in the attic, just go get you a 4 channel high wing trainer, get comfy with it, it won't take long, but it is a needed step!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450