HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:28 PM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
650 Posts
Discussion
Foam Finger

I think I've been cutting too much foam lately. After cutting out cardboard templates and a few days of plane building... my finger hurts! Its like tennis elbow, only in my first knuckle of my cutting hand's index finger.

Anyone else experience this?
Jefte is online now Find More Posts by Jefte
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:34 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte View Post
I think I've been cutting too much foam lately. After cutting out cardboard templates and a few days of plane building... my finger hurts! Its like tennis elbow, only in my first knuckle of my cutting hand's index finger.

Anyone else experience this?
Hi Jefte it's just your fingers getting used to the repetitive motions of razor cutting, do you have arthritus?

After 2 years of cuttung foam you'll forget the pain in your fingers because the pain in your arms & back will cancel it out LMAO, Keep on cutting!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
650 Posts
Hah! Thanks I figured as much. No arthritis yet. Maybe I'll just back off the pressure I'm using and wait a couple days before building another.
Jefte is online now Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
Dammit... I saw the title and I was hoping for a big flying finger
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,408 Posts
I haven't suffered with Foam Finger, but I have had Foam In Eye Syndrome which once you have had it you decide not to have again.
The other one is Foam Ear.
This is caused by my wife saying, "There's foam everywhere!" (There are 6 specks of foam in the house)
And, "The house is full of foam!" (There are more than 6 specks of foam in the house.)
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Remedy

I replaced Xacto's and razor blades (pretty much) with the small snap-blade knives a couple of years ago - and never regretted it once.

Try one and I'll bet you can cut up a whole bundle of FFF without a single tender finger.

P.S. I do snap off an old section more frequently than I would switch razor blades - maybe by half. That way I avoid 'snags' or rips and the edges of the foam stay sharp.
Raymond-leflyr is online now Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I haven't suffered with Foam Finger, but I have had Foam In Eye Syndrome which once you have had it you decide not to have again.
The other one is Foam Ear.
This is caused by my wife saying, "There's foam everywhere!" (There are 6 specks of foam in the house)
And, "The house is full of foam!" (There are more than 6 specks of foam in the house.)
I get this and I don't even build outside of my little room packed with all my plane stuff, SCUBA stuff and,Gun stuff. I need a bigger room
ducoop is offline Find More Posts by ducoop
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Dammit... I saw the title and I was hoping for a big flying finger
I thought the same thing. Now I got to get home and start hackin up some foam. I have already started glide tests here at the office. Is it good that it points at the crash site?
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
How can you decide that!!
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
Wear glasses.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,408 Posts
Yup! There are plenty of things that you can decide to use to protect your eyes.
Glasses, as mentioned, MX goggles, swim goggles (also good when cutting unions) all the way up to a helmet fed with filtered air.
For me, industrial safety goggles do the job.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post
I replaced Xacto's and razor blades (pretty much) with the small snap-blade knives a couple of years ago - and never regretted it once.

Try one and I'll bet you can cut up a whole bundle of FFF without a single tender finger.

P.S. I do snap off an old section more frequently than I would switch razor blades - maybe by half. That way I avoid 'snags' or rips and the edges of the foam stay sharp.
+1 on a blade with a nice handle. I have wrist and elbow tendinitis and after cutting a scratch built Geobat with razor blades I was in pain- i get cortizone shots every two months for it. The handles relieve the stress and let you work longer
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:13 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
The Cure For Foam Finger

RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
I've also taken to using a snap knife for foamies. I think I've snapped off a total of about two sections since I got it over a year (and many, many planes) ago, and it still cuts like new. I'm very, very impressed with it, personally. Brand is "U.S. Tape".

I also use it to plane and carve balsa, but interestingly enough I've never really liked cutting balsa sheet with it. For that, I use #11 X-Acto blades in a big red plastic handle I got in an X-Acto saw set. It's comfy and controllable and gives me something more to hold onto than the thin aluminum barrel of one of my #2 knives.

For the record, my fingers never hurt during a build...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:38 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
I've had pain cutting out cardboard templates, though it turns out in my case I had a torn ligament and TFCC cartilage in my wrist >_< thats hopfully fixed now that I had surgery. Oddly enough all the physical therapist's agreed that making the foamies was a good exercise for getting range of motion back in my wrist
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne