HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:34 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Discussion
GPS help

OK, I have calibrated both the HFP & the GPS until I am blue in the face. I have even gone to the extent of going out in the field, miles away from metal objects & calibrated the GPS.

I get a green or blue signal fairly quickly but PH is pretty ordinary as it sometimes holds a little but drifts off to the left most of the time. RTH isn't much better, it sort of returns but in a slow arc to the left & doesn't really get back to where I started off.

AH & AL modes are generally great, & the quad flies very stable, not too many problems there, although some flights I have no drift when switching to AL & sometimes a big drift (Not due to wind or COG either) Nothing ever seems consistent with these boards

I notice the latest setup client has a GPS info tab which I thought maybe useful in working out what is happening (unless thats as good as it gets, which would be pretty disappointing) but unless I am suffering from domestic blindness I'm stuffed if I can find any hint of directions on how to use it. Did you guys update the manual or supply anything to give a clue? If you did I can't find it.

I have just spent the last two hours trying to get it to work but once connected I just get a flashing purple light on the GPs board & the check boxes & other feedback just flicker madly.

Steve,
sgeprods is offline Find More Posts by sgeprods
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
I did the exact same thing with my X8.
I walked clear out to the middle of a field and did all the calibrations.
Takes about 1.5-2 minutes to get the blue light.
Got in the habit of going outside and firing up a smoke while I wait.

Flip into PH and it races off across the field but always to the right.
I uploaded the new setup client and went outside to get GPS lock and it popped up a goggle earth style photo of my location. It was about a half mile from my actual location???

I think that screen it supposed to let you verify your location, see how many satellites are locking and to make sure your compass is calibrated correctly.

I have never had the PH work and like you it is hit and miss on the trim being correct when flipping into AH.
Would love to get it working. Flies great in standard mode, although i have to be careful on full power climbouts. It yaws big time.
Freyapilot2002 is offline Find More Posts by Freyapilot2002
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
My GPS has been working pretty well these days although not too long ago it was doing exactly as you described. It would always go to the left and then eventually correct itself. I went through the steps to make sure my AL was trimmed correctly. I trimmed it in no wind so I wasn't trimming against the wind. I calibrated the magnetometer outside away from everything as you did. Sometimes GPS would function correctly and other times no. The only other thing I suspected was the magnetometer. Since there is so much electrical noise inside the ship (especially if your flying FPV like me) Its almost impossible to get rid of. But you can reposition your wires and shield them as well. I put some coax shielding over the noisier wires and twisted other ones. My results now are more than 90% successful. Once in a while it will fly away hunting for its position lock upon engaging the PH therefore I'm always on guard. But since I've taken this route I've never seen the hard left bank and fly away tendency. The toilet bowl effect was also plaguing me. It has since disappeared. It will toilet bowl sometimes but will dampen itself out. Check out this video of me GPS-OSD-FPV testing yesterday. Good Luck!
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Can you post a pic of your shielding measures? The noisiest wires would be the power ones I guess?
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.ge View Post
Can you post a pic of your shielding measures? The noisiest wires would be the power ones I guess?
I have a role of high gage (not sure what number) of coaxial signal wire. Its like a standard TV cable but smaller diameter. I carefully slice off the outer sheathing and scrunch up the coaxial shielding. The wires I shielded are the switching voltage regulator, Control board power and Video TX. The ESC's are a huge noise maker but too much to shield. I also twist the servo wires between the receiver and the controller. I'll post some pictures later today.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Hi Hoverfly,

Any chance of some instructions on using the GPS info in the latest setup client?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
So, what do you have to do around here to get an answer from HFP? This is my 3rd ask... I dont think my question is worthy of being ignored, I simply would like a run down on how to use the GPS info section of the setup client as even though I get a GPS lock light when flying (mind you its not that great using GPS as already outlined in my earlier post) I can't get it to work with the setup client. Should info on how to use the GPS info page not be put in the manual? Come on HFP.. I spent good money on your products yet your customer service leaves a lot to be desired!! Sorry but its true & I am starting to regret buying to be honest.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:05 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
If you need an answer and dont find them answering on here your best bet is to go to the helpdesk. there is a link in one of the sticky threads at the top of the forum. This forum is not their primary method of helping us. The beauty of the zendesk help system is your problem gets assigned a number which is then traceable. the problem on this forum is that problems can get lost when there is a flurry of threads created. Also remember while its a Monday down here in NZ and Aussie its a Sunday in the US.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hoverfly Technologies
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Nov 2011
141 Posts
Hi Steve,

As Stacky noted, the appropriate place to request technical assistance is the Hoverfly Support site.

While Al and George do quite a bit of troubleshooting when and if they have time to check out the forums, this is ultimately a place for customers supporting customers. For official support, the link above is the place to go.

With regards to your issue, please be sure to update to the new firmware that released on Friday night, as well as the updated Setup Client. While I can't say this will fix your problem, I do know that improved GPS functions were included on both of these.

If you are still seeing issues after updating, please submit a ticket and I will be happy to see that one of the technical team has a look at it for you.
hoverben is offline Find More Posts by hoverben
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Hi Hoverben,

What I am trying to do is find out where the instructions are for using the the GPS info tab on the setup client as I am having trouble getting a connection. I did look through these forums for them, I did look through the latest instruction manual & I did look for them on the support site. Hence me asking here. I didn't think it was a hard question that needed a support ticket!

Cheers

Steve.
Last edited by sgeprods; Feb 29, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hoverfly Technologies
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Nov 2011
141 Posts
It's not that it is a hard question; just that we don't necessarily spend a lot of time reading threads here on the forum. This site is intended to be user-driven as opposed to the help desk which is constantly monitored by a Hoverfly employee (specifically, me). So if you are looking for an official answer, the support site is the place to go.

The information you are looking for hasn't been added to the manual yet, but the manual is currently being updated. I will be sure to post here when I know that this info has been published.
hoverben is offline Find More Posts by hoverben