Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,598 Posts
Help!
Solidworks lofts not so hot

I keep getting some annoying problems in Solidworks that don't happen in inventor. I'm pretty set on learning more about solidworks.

Problem is my Trailing edges devlop a centerline that migrates away from center and ends up on the face of the surface towards the tip. All my constraints seem to be good, the TE's are perp to the planform and centered. Any help would be great.

I attached some pics.

Also, my lofts always seem to have "flat" spots in them like the airfoil sections are made up of small lines and not curves. I can't see these flat spots in the actual foil cross sections but they show up in the lofts. Very hard to see, until you do a zebra or actually machine the parts. I import my foils like everyone else using xy points.

Any help would be great

Ali
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:41 AM
not bad for one eye
atlantic canada
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
If you post the solidworks and airfoil text files I'll see if I can help.

Paul.
dlpaul is offline Find More Posts by dlpaul
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,232 Posts
Some programs do that when one foil has a different number of segments than the other. I don't know how to fix that in Solidworks.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:00 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,516 Posts
The general CAD rule for a loft is that it uses 90 degree points.This is why the flats are there. try a skin or ruled surface: a ruled surface to a differential foil will show you how many data points to adjust for a clean sweep.
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:18 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,598 Posts
Hmmmm, I was just thinking today that maybe there was something up with the number of points, maybe not enough. When I get back to the office Monday I'll check it out and upload a file here if anyone wants to look at it.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:54 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,516 Posts
In the mean time take a look @ this:
Beginnings at complexities (9 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:14 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,419 Posts
I can take a look and see what is up. It is non-trivial lofting in solidworks with DLG foils. I've had to work some magic.

-Sam
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
67 Posts
under Tools>Options youl'll find settings for how accurately SW draws curves and, presumably surfaces. Have you played with this to address the faceting?

when I am lofting aerofoils I always use truncated TE's like you show, but I drive my lofts with guide curves at both upper and lower edges as well as several strategic places around the foil, connecting equivalent foil points between each foil section. works like a charm!
Andy_RR is offline Find More Posts by Andy_RR
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,598 Posts
Ok here is a sample file, plus the airfoil txt's if anyone wants to look at it for me.

Ooops, I guess solidworks file are to large for RC groups, can't attach it.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR View Post
under Tools>Options youl'll find settings for how accurately SW draws curves and, presumably surfaces. Have you played with this to address the faceting?

when I am lofting aerofoils I always use truncated TE's like you show, but I drive my lofts with guide curves at both upper and lower edges as well as several strategic places around the foil, connecting equivalent foil points between each foil section. works like a charm!
I looked a few times, didn't see that option in the menu?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:14 PM
not bad for one eye
atlantic canada
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
What program/programs do you use to generate your airfoils before importing to SW.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:58 AM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpaul View Post
What program/programs do you use to generate your airfoils before importing to SW.
I've just been grabbing foils from drela so far. From charlesriverrc
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:04 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,516 Posts
an answer

OK Gang: I knew there was sumthin' different about Dr D's foils- here it is:
They are control point splines: so go to edit/ show points- or whatever tool to show:
> drawing is referenced from 100%y+ through to x0 % and the bottom returning to100% X and y zero. Great for running lofts, but this is the root of the Gap reason.
The way I run them is a poly line connected as lines, from x 100% to x 0 %, bottom as one, top as another. I know it's tedious, but it is very accurate. final export to laser files would be to convert to arcs for final product.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
not bad for one eye
atlantic canada
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Ali I was able to reproduce your problem by deleting a few points from one of the profiles and adding washout. I doubt you're using washout by your choice of foil. If so, you may have to "Project" your guide curves onto a surface. Without the washout things look good, so you my want to check you're not accidentally adding some when you're defining the profiles.

Paul.