HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Build Log
rc microlight plans and help

ive been overwhelmed with people asking for plans for this microlight or for me to make them one,
buiding lots of these for sale isnt an option for me because of limited time so ive decided to put up some drawings and measurements so people can make their own,
the drawings will be pretty basic with the important measurements needed for correct flight.

ive been working with chris lately (britinoz) whos managed to build a very nice one and has already test flown it and is now ironing out some minor problems.
hopefully he'll come on here and post some pics and offer some help regarding building this microlight with more 'modelling' techniques rather than engineering metal brackets to hold it together.

ill post the rough drawings i did that chris worked off and answer any questions that people have along the way and i can post pics to clear up any confusion.

hope this thread becomes a wealth of knowledge for people wishing to build and fly these awesome aircraft and hopefully you guys can post pics of your own builds in this thread

regards,mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i dont really want to give out every single measurent for the bodywork etc as id like these to look slightly different to mine to make this interesting but all major dimensions for trike frame work / wheelbase, wing etc will be there

heres some drawings i did quickly for the trike square section alloy bar
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres a pic of the top of the vertical mast on the trike,
ive used a bush on this now as the bolt was rounding off the hole in the soft aluminium
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
This is to let you see what can be made by following the spec's that Mark gave to me. This is a very interesting project, but it's no ARF..........and don't think that you can walk into a local store and pick up all the parts.......you may have to get the little grey cells working...
And for me,I must admit that this is still a "work in progress" project....and is that not, what makes it interesting ?
Happy Landings.
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:20 AM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
This is to let you see what can be made by following the spec's that Mark gave to me. This is a very interesting project, but it's no ARF..........and don't think that you can walk into a local store and pick up all the parts.......you may have to get the little grey cells working...
And for me,I must admit that this is still a "work in progress" project....and is that not, what makes it interesting ?
Happy Landings.
Chris...........
Thats looking mighty fine Chris.
I will have to get across to Adelaide one day and watch your flights, Might even play camera man for you.

Ritchie
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
G'Day Ritchie
Take your time mate......remember that I said it was work in progress
Happy Landings
Chris....
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:36 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic chris
yeah definately not a bolt together model,
ive spent a long time on the net and walking round shops (not just model ones) sourcing parts and bits that could be used.

anyone wanting to build one though can rest assure that i will help as much as possible with pics and measurements of my one along the way,
just need to ask
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Ive almost made all the wing brackets for my new wing,
just been to the local metal supermarket to get some more pieces of alloy for some more trikes too,

ive got loads of ideas that i want to try and am really looking forward to making them,
its much more enjoyable this time knowing it will fly

i think it would be a good idea to put all the information on here as i build it,
so measurents and photos of every part so you can see it come together bit by bit,
the wing brackets we're the time consuming part so the rest of it wouldnt really take too long (well maybe the sail )
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Thanks for putting up the plans Mark. Only one problem, even if I print them on my inkjet printer they come out too faint to see. The laser is even fainter. Photos are fine.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
sorry,
i drew the pics and then scanned them and they did come out abit faint really
ill see what i can do for you to make them darker
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Let the game begin.
As of this time. I have made and successfully flown two RC Microlights to the dimensions supplied to me by Mark Hadden.
I shall attempt to make this advise public hoping that it may be useful information to any one who may wish to make similar machines.
During the construction ,I have taken many pictures ,that I hope may be able to assist with the way the build went.
My construction was completely different to Marks, as in as much as I used different materials .Mark has used his machining skills to make a lot of the parts. I do not have these skills and so I went with a carbon/glass and epoxy I am also sure that it would be possible to use hardwood and ply for a lot of the construction.
So when you see my method you should understand that I simply used material that I had at hand aided by a few years of building experience.
It must be possible to use a wide combination of materials and still end up with a machine similar to Marks and mine. .

I used 10 mm OD sq carbon tube for the main frame.....and to beef it up added a 8 mm OD carbon arrow shaft epoxyed inside. This gives a very strong / light frame.
I added rectangular plates to the base of the pylon at the rear, and also small plates at the front and at the top of the pylon to mount the diagonal brace. This brace is made from an arrow shaft with a piece of ally tube on each end.
At the rear of the fuz is a plate for mounting the motor and the servos.This plate makes the frame very rigid..
A small tip with working with carbon and glass is to remove all the gloss surface before using any epoxy. I used slow setting {24 hour} epoxy for all my construction.
The important thing about using epoxy is to us the correct mixing ratio and stir well with a flat paddle.
I mix small batches ,using only what I want and then storing the unused material in the freezer . Simply remove from the freezer and apply heat and your ready to go the next day.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Mark
On post # 2 you added a couple of diagrams and pic's with dimensions of your model .
I know you have a few more of the U/C size / wing / ETC.Is there any chance that you can add them to #2 ,so others interested will have all you original dimensions?
I don't want to stray to far away from your specs.
Chris............
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:03 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Yeah Chris ill get them all put up later
thanks for adding the pics mate, this is the sort of info people will need to be able to make one of these without the machined brackets,

the more of these we can get built and flying the better

regards,mark
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres the rest of the measurements i have at the moment,
sorry, some of the drawings are shocking.. ill have to redo them all when i get some spare time
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
To any one that may be interested in this project....these are the measurements that I had to work to for this construction. perfectly workable.