HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,712 Posts
Tho the conventional wisdom is intake = exhaust/2.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
Would an air exit be good in the aft fusalage? I was thinking about putting one on the bottom under the horizontal stab?
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
Someone please tell me where the hot air exhaust is

The spinner and two side inlets give lots of cool incoming airflow, but where does the airflow escape?
I doubt that there will be any hot air. This is not a hotliner, and the hard motor runs should be less than a minute.

(1) servo lead ports in wings.

(2) around the canopy

(3) exit ports for rudder push rod.

(4) slots in fin for elevator control rod.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,455 Posts
The simplest way to make an exit is to just drill a hole in the bottom of the fuse anywhere behind the rearmost bit of electronics and forward of the rear of the wing saddle. It's tough to drill into a pristine new fuse but anything up to 3/8" or a bit bigger will be an inconsequential strength reduction. One could reinforce the hole with glass tape to be sure.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
I wonder, is anyone planning on using telemetry for altitude or airspeed.
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Meadow Vista
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Question: The instructions say to use glue stick to secure the stabilizer rods to the stabilizer.
I'm wondering what is wrong with using EPOXY and NOT having the stabilizer removable. In the event of a damaging to the stab, just replace the stabilizer. The overall width of the stab is about 32 inches. I can live with that. I'm new to gliders and would appreciate your input.
Rick number 2
PrimeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PrimeFlyer
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Then you NEVER have the opportunity to separate the stab. No real reason not to leave that option - right?
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
I was not comfortable with the stab potentially coming apart in flight. Mine is permanently glued. I also used polyurethane glue on my wing servos. I don't want those coming loose in flight either!
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,455 Posts
There's no reason for epoxy, Rick. You would be amazed at how little it takes to hold a stabilator together. I have an old Sagitta 600 that I flew for years without giving it a second thought. The only time it ever moved was if I caught high grass and cartwheeled it. Then, after a few years, it got a little worn and I ground very small dimples near the ends of the wire and added some rubber cement which I would freshen once or twice a season. I've done the same with other planes since and never had the slightest doubt about the stab coming loose in flight. Before then I would simply bend one wire about 1 degree to add more friction.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Gang the flight loads keep the stab in place. The slight friction from the glue stick is a safe margin. I have never even done that.

I think that in my years I have had one stab come off about 3mm.

Rough landings can sometimes separate a bit more - but that provides protection!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
I wonder, is anyone planning on using telemetry for altitude or airspeed.
Randy
Sure am! All my e-Gliders have spektrum telemetry on board w/- altimeter, flight pack voltage and temp and Rx voltage. A couple of large scale vintage gliders also have airspeed sensors.

Why do I use them? Because they're cheap and in some cases vital information to know as you are flying around...

timography is online now Find More Posts by timography
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:18 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
138 Posts
Exhaust hole

Well folks, I think the optional exhaust hole should go where the useless tow hook is located. There's already a pilot hole to sink a 0.50 inch drill bit. It just happens to be strengthened anyway, this way we kill two birds in one shot.

Getting rid of the weight of the tow hook nut and giving a clean, reenforced exhaust port.

Humm, image uploads not working....
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Oct 24, 2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: pics
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Meadow Vista
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
I completed assembly of my Mystique today. I experienced several problems in the following areas:
1. Aileron and flap linkage installation was very difficult. I think this will be an issue for many and E-flite needs to come up with a improved linkage. Perhaps a bent linkage?

2. The black pushrod keeper is junk. Before you start construction, go to the hobby shop and buy a quality keeper.

3. A very minor problem, the string used to pull the servo extension through the wing is easily lost. I had to fish a new string through the wing three different times. I used a piece of dental floss tied to a small nut to pull the string through the wing. A longer string from the factory wold correct this.

That's it! Not bad for an new product. The Mystique is VERY well constructed and represents a FANTASTIC value. The manual will improve with time as users find issues.
I think this is the case for any NEW product. Horizon will surely correct the quality of the pushrod keeper and I think some creative person will come up with a better flap linkage also.
All in all I am very satisfied. Now final trimming and a flight.... more to follow.
Rick (2)
PrimeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PrimeFlyer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
I had the same observations.

Fix the manual, Horizon!

I set the stab as per manual - it was not neutral on my plane. Look at it carefully before you toss!
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,712 Posts
Several posts ago I posted a 'reference mark'. This was to signify a more-or-less starting point (read the few posts just preceding that 'mark' where all the little 'nags' start showing up) -- and before it progresses beyond the point we're at now, I'll jump back in here with 'my point'.

We've seen nothing but glowing remarks made by those who've flown this new plane, with an apology here & there for something not characterized properly in the documentation etc. Everyone here is aware of the first announcements of the Mystique, and how long the time until they started shipping. It was a pretty good spell. Point is, seems there would've been plenty of time to check the documentation and fit of the components. After all, someone HAD to've assembled the planes the 'company' guys were flying before they were ever released, right? One has to kind've wonder who, & why the discrepancies weren't discovered, fixed and documentation revised before release. We've heard a lot of 'bragging' (for lack of a better word) about the quality & care that went into this bird.....but when it comes down to it, seems a bit all too typical considering all the preliminary hype about the plane & the praise heaped upon the issuer as a company.

Hype vs circumstantive ill fortune? Each can weigh and decide on his or her own -- but this plane I so wanted at first, much because of all the fine things I was hearing about it (notably, from those who were selling it).....wel-l-l-l-lll, let's just say this cherry has soured a bit at this point. Glad now I took 'wait & see' over 'pre-order'.

Bracing for the blast.

StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member