HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
does anyone else have a turnigy 9x or flysky9x radio as i do... I guess theres a switch you have to setup to turn this on or off,which is pretty cool...
This unit does not have the capability to switched on/off while in flight regardless of what Tx your are using, 9x or whatever..

Quote:
I was told to purchase this FY-30A theres a lot of demo video's of it on utube... it seems to do exactly what the HK unit does but it cost $140. I think HK just copied it...
This is no copy - FY-30A is much more capable than this simple ORx unit, completely different piece of equipment... the ORx stabilizer does not have the abillity to self correct to straight and level flight like FY30A. There seems to be much confusion regarding this in the discussion tab on the product page.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
This unit does not have the capability to switched on/off while in flight regardless of what Tx your are using, 9x or whatever..

This is no copy - FY-30A is much more capable than this simple ORx unit, completely different piece of equipment... the ORx stabilizer does not have the abillity to self correct to straight and level flight like FY30A. There seems to be much confusion regarding this in the discussion tab on the product page.
I see, but it does stabilize the plane using ailerons,elevator and rudder inputs.and that will make planes a lot easier to fly especially in windy conditions.,which is all i would want it to do anyway...It would be nice if you could switch it off from TX though...Here's HK's product description: Utilizing a single high precision 3-axis MEMS gyro, the OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer is capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft! It provides added stability by automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight. This compensates for unwanted changes in the airplane's attitude due to wind and other factors. In short, it makes your airplane much more stable in flight!

The OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer is great for those who tend to fly in windy conditions, as it will compensate for wind gusts that would normally push your model around. It's also an ideal add-on to your favorite FPV model to keep it on the straight and level while flying.

This unit is very simple to install and use. The adjustable gain settings are pre-set to 50% offering mild stabilization. You can easily adjust the gain for each channel as desired to increase or decrease the compensation for the respective channel (AIL, ELE, RUD).

Because we design, test and manufacture these units completely in-house (from 3D/2D drawing to materials sourcing, final assembly etc.) we can completely control production and ensure product consistency from design right through to shipping the product to you. Also, the removal of middle-men has meant we can drive better value to the market and retail these units at factory(our) prices!

Features:
Capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft
Supports 3D flight without undermining stability
Independent gyro gain adjustment for aileron, elevator and rudder
Easy-to-access gyro reversing switches on front of unit
Compact and light weight design
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
I also watched a video that this guy installed this unit in his bixler...it also controled 3 axsis points...the plane hand launched perfectly straight,but i think this unit is harder to figure out how to install and setup..,Has anyone here ever used this board from HK that was designed for quads? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19534
HERE'S the video of this in action..i would love to install this,but it looks pretty hard to figure out for me right now...If someone here knows how please post a how to video it would be very much appreciated by me and all the other not so high tech newbee's thanks...
Skysurfer (Bixler) with the Hobbyking KK V2.1 Board Test Flight (5 min 42 sec)
Last edited by hate2crash; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:10 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
871 Posts
HK's description is a bit misleading where it says "automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight" It doesnt really correct anything, Anyone that doesn't understand how a simple rate gyro works might misinterpret this to mean auto leveling. If you have this ORx 3 axis gyro installed then put your plane into a nose down dive and let go of the sticks, the unit will not correct the plane to level flight, you will just have a nice smooth and steady dive into the ground... This 3 axis gyro unit will only dampen the effects of outside forces on the plane, like wind, for a more steady flight in certain conditions.

Also in that video above, the KK board was flashed with firmware for fixed wing application, it would not perform like that out of the box.
Last edited by greedyg76; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
I squeezed the original 12MB version down to just under 3MB, so RC Groups attachment system shouldn't choke.
Jumper setting images all look identical to me???
ZuluThomas is offline Find More Posts by ZuluThomas
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
[QUOTE=greedyg76;22371413]HK's description is a bit misleading where it says "automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight" It doesnt really correct anything, Anyone that doesn't understand how a simple rate gyro works might misinterpret this to mean auto leveling. If you have this ORx 3 axis gyro installed then put your plane into a nose down dive and let go of the sticks, the unit will not correct the plane to level flight, you will just have a nice smooth and steady dive into the ground... This 3 axis gyro unit will only dampen the effects of outside forces on the plane, like wind, for a more steady flight in certain conditions.

Also in that video above, the KK board was flashed with firmware for fixed wing application, it would not perform like that out of the box.[/QU .....
Yes i know that guy had to program it to function like that...But that plane was self leveling and unit was $15...Know i don't know how to use firmware its chinese to me ,but to some guy's its pretty simple i'm sure...I have seen simple gyros installed on trainer planes and they make corrections to keep wings level...I saw this with a $15 gyro connection to ailerons which allowed pilot to turn just using rudder and plane remained level...also watched video of gyro connected to elevator..operator could fly level very easy...Have you used this new 3 axis unit? A member here said it works very well on a trainer(.Originally Posted by Troutbum
My son installed one in his Bixler just for testing purposes. Not that a Bixler needs any stabilization, but it was simply for a bench test.

It does all the quick corrections and motions, just like the AS3X in the Micro Gee Bee.

I have a Parkzone Albatros D-Va ordered that might get this unit installed.)
Anyway for $15 i would not expect it to fly the plane just make a model easier to fly...I wish i had one to test for myself...guess we will have towait for them to get back in stock
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
From what i understand this HK system is very similiar to what this Horizon hobby products does...
Flite Test - E-flite Beast 3D AS3X - REVIEW (10 min 51 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
[QUOTE=hate2crash;22373290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
HK's description is a bit misleading where it says "automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight" It doesnt really correct anything, Anyone that doesn't understand how a simple rate gyro works might misinterpret this to mean auto leveling. If you have this ORx 3 axis gyro installed then put your plane into a nose down dive and let go of the sticks, the unit will not correct the plane to level flight, you will just have a nice smooth and steady dive into the ground... This 3 axis gyro unit will only dampen the effects of outside forces on the plane, like wind, for a more steady flight in certain conditions.

Also in that video above, the KK board was flashed with firmware for fixed wing application, it would not perform like that out of the box.[/QU .....
Yes i know that guy had to program it to function like that...But that plane was self leveling and unit was $15...Know i don't know how to use firmware its chinese to me ,but to some guy's its pretty simple i'm sure...I have seen simple gyros installed on trainer planes and they make corrections to keep wings level...I saw this with a $15 gyro connection to ailerons which allowed pilot to turn just using rudder and plane remained level...also watched video of gyro connected to elevator..operator could fly level very easy...Have you used this new 3 axis unit? A member here said it works very well on a trainer(.Originally Posted by Troutbum
My son installed one in his Bixler just for testing purposes. Not that a Bixler needs any stabilization, but it was simply for a bench test.

It does all the quick corrections and motions, just like the AS3X in the Micro Gee Bee.

I have a Parkzone Albatros D-Va ordered that might get this unit installed.)
Anyway for $15 i would not expect it to fly the plane just make a model easier to fly...I wish i had one to test for myself...guess we will have towait for them to get back in stock
wait a minute - off topic - but does this mean that you can flash a HK KK2.0 LCD board and use it on a fixed wing aircrarft?
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post

I have a Parkzone Albatros D-Va ordered that might get this unit installed.

I'm lucky, I have a 22 year old electronics/computer whiz to figure out all the technical stuff.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Troutbum.

Just curious if you hooked up a battery connection or just the rudder, elevator, and or ailerons? I am thinking it would get power for the orange box from the Rx?

Thnx,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
wait a minute - off topic - but does this mean that you can flash a HK KK2.0 LCD board and use it on a fixed wing aircrarft?
YES BHUWAN... CHECKOUT THE BIXLER VIDEOI POSTED ABOVE...THE GUY DID EXACTLY THAT..IF YOU GO TO UTUBE AND WATCH THE SAME VIDEO HE EXPLAINS HOW...I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT STUFF...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Just curious if you hooked up a battery connection or just the rudder, elevator, and or ailerons? I am thinking it would get power for the orange box from the Rx?

Thnx,
Denny
I just looked in his Bixler, and I see:

Lipo to ESC, as usual
ESC to Rx, as usual
Rx to Orange Stabilizer,
Orange Stabilizer to Servos.

Hope this helps,

Denny
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
That definitely helps, but please clarify one detail. Is there anything plugged into the stabilizer 'bat' spot? If so, from where?
You seem to be the only one posting who actually has one, so we appreciate the help
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined May 2010
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
I just looked in his Bixler, and I see:

Lipo to ESC, as usual
ESC to Rx, as usual
Rx to Orange Stabilizer,
Orange Stabilizer to Servos.

Hope this helps,

Denny
Can you tell me and everyone if connectors were included? Or do i need to purchase Y connectors or any special connectors sepparately to hook this unit up...thanks
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
871 Posts
I was one of the quick ones and got it shipped before it was out of stock again. Soon as I get it, I should be able to answer all of your questions. I'll let you guys know...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
I was told to purchase this FY-30A theres a lot of demo video's of it on utube... it seems to do exactly what the HK unit does but it cost $140. I think HK just copied it...
No the HK unit cost less because it does a lot less.....not a copy as far as I know.

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko