Control Line planes (3 min 26 sec)

Start at about 2:30 for an example.
Gnu4FF is online now Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:12 PM
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
snagged a never run, in the box KB greenhead .19 today on eBay.
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
And I am looking at a KB .65 CL engine. Don't have any kit that requires that size engine, but you never know. Good to be ready.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:01 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
772 Posts
Really used to have a fan relationship to Greenheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
snagged a never run, in the box KB greenhead .19 today on eBay.
The first "big" glow engine I had was the older black headed K&B 29, used when I got it, but when the 15 and 35 came out, I got one of each, and loved both. Then, my first 19, new, also, and another of the 35s. I never had an 049 or 09, and when all of the Greenheads, and the case they were in (cabinetry, wood and glass), and if I knew at the time was it was used for before I put engines in it and had them stolen from me in a burglary, I don't know what it was used for any more. I got on eBay and got one of each I'd had, plus a 29S and a 45.

The 19s were comparatively high performance for an iron and steel engine with just cross-flow porting, and run best with smaller props, like 7-6s, but will swing a 9-4, just not as well as a Fox or Veco 19 might. It needs a moderately generous breakin, and the usual high-oil fuel with at least half Castor in it. You'll love it, I'm certain. It's a lot of fun on a VooDoo or a Super Clown, planes with wings about 280 to 350 squares.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Dec 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
The first "big" glow engine I had was the older black headed K&B 29, used when I got it, but when the 15 and 35 came out, I got one of each, and loved both. Then, my first 19, new, also, and another of the 35s. I never had an 049 or 09, and when all of the Greenheads, and the case they were in (cabinetry, wood and glass), and if I knew at the time was it was used for before I put engines in it and had them stolen from me in a burglary, I don't know what it was used for any more. I got on eBay and got one of each I'd had, plus a 29S and a 45.

The 19s were comparatively high performance for an iron and steel engine with just cross-flow porting, and run best with smaller props, like 7-6s, but will swing a 9-4, just not as well as a Fox or Veco 19 might. It needs a moderately generous breakin, and the usual high-oil fuel with at least half Castor in it. You'll love it, I'm certain. It's a lot of fun on a VooDoo or a Super Clown, planes with wings about 280 to 350 squares.

Kiwi
Kiwi..also have my eye on a nib Fox .19 as well.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 07:32 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
772 Posts
Quote:
Kiwi..also have my eye on a nib Fox .19 as well.
My personal preference among Foxes is the three-bolt backplate 19 that looks like and runs like the stunt 35. Some versions of the four bolt version 19s may have a bit more power, as some of them are Schneurle ported, but the older, lighter one is really a sweetheart.

Whichever you get, enjoy it!

Kiwi
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
I am picking up a few new OS 25LA-S engines. They seem like a pretty good engine.
Any opinions on this engine out there?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:34 AM
Joined Apr 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
I am picking up a few new OS 25LA-S engines. They seem like a pretty good engine.
Any opinions on this engine out there?
get rid of the plastic backplate + NVA.
Replace it with OS FP 25 Alu backplate +
new paper gasket +
OS NVA at venturi.
5%Nitro, 20% all Castor, %75Meth. fuel +
Enya No.3 Glow Plug +
Graupnerīs grey prop 10x4
works best for me and
others too.
All parts can be find at your LHS, fleabuy.com, Towers etc..

goodday
goodday is offline Find More Posts by goodday
Last edited by goodday; Jan 17, 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:58 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
772 Posts
With the loss of so many places we formerly used for model flying, few of my own model planes with wheels get out of the house any longer. Higher performance models make hand launches easier, and the FPs have 20% more power than LAs, so I've not used my LA 25s much at all (I have two) after being stuck with an unimproved site for flying for quite some time now.

However, the plastic backplate is a terrible idea, as pointed out. They break, and they leak. I have quite a few Taipan 9-4s and 10-4s on hand, which are good when you can find them. None of the remaining hobby shops I know of in Texas carry the Graupner props mentioned, so I've not ever tried those.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jan 17, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2007
32 Posts
Lots of good info here, but I don't think I read anything about fuel or to be more precise oil content, the old engines require much more castor than the new ones, if you don't have excess to high castor content fuels and don't want the hassle of adding castor to R/C fuel I'd go with something modern like the Evo 36, it will run fine on straight Omega 10% fuel.
dwdl21 is offline Find More Posts by dwdl21