HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,443 Posts
Cool
DesignSpark Mechanical 3D CAD (free CAD)

I was just made aware of this. It looks very advanced. I'll be checking it out as soon as I get the chance

They say it is an unlimited, full version of the software.

Product Page:
http://www.designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

Article in EE times describing the softare:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?...msgpage=2#msgs

Demo Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GZ9K6mtnV2Q
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
750 Posts
Very interesting product, looks like Allied Electronics may have played a role in it's development. Allied is an awesome electronics company, I ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years. Thanks for sharing the link.
DeadTom is online now Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,484 Posts
Thanks for the link.
I downloaded & installed this.
To run it, you need to register with them. I created a specific email account for this (I have a few domains, so I just create forwarders for stuff like this). In the few days since doing this, the account has been "spammed" with 3D type stuff. All on topic so to speak, but annoying all the same and something to be aware of if you use your real email address.
So far the program seems easy to use/navigate. It runs fine on a really old P4 machine with 2Gig of RAM.
Going through the tutorials now. As with all 3D programs (so it seems anyway) they all have their own way of doing things. Once you get that sorted out (explained well in the tutorials) it is rather easy.....so far.

Anyone else give it a shot?
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,443 Posts
I haven't had a chance (we're moving) but thanks for the report. Mailinator.com is also a good resource for one-time emails.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it compares with packages like Autodesk's Inventor.
Nevillino is offline Find More Posts by Nevillino
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:52 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,012 Posts
Here's a great little (short) demo of a couple of the tools available.

http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Resourc...p1_Final_A.mp4

That video is concerned with electronics components mounted in a chassis (electrical design is what the people at SpaceClaim seem to be primarily targeting) but applies to anything.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:33 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
500 Posts
Are all of the Spaceclaim features available in Designspark? I did read somewhere that Designspark doesn't but don't know for sure.

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:19 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,012 Posts
I would really doubt that they would put all the features of a multi-thousand dollar program into a freebie, but that's just me.

I downloaded it to play with but have not really gotten going with it yet.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:24 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
It's a very good program to quickly design things, but it has, or rather lack, one very important function: you can't mirror objects!
It is possible to use a mirror plane when sketching and it will work... until it doesn't. I don't know what kind of operations break the mirror.

Besides that it's wonderful to work with.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:16 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
500 Posts
Hi AleG,

Nice that we have someone around with experience on this. Here are a few questions about it that I've been wondering. I have a hunch about the aswers but thats all it is.

Are there any surfacing tools in Designspark?

What kinds of features are there, i.e. Lofting, extrude etc.?

What export file type are included?

Just would like to know how it compares to a "normal" CAD soft.

Cheers
raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Thanks for the link.
I downloaded & installed this.
To run it, you need to register with them. I created a specific email account for this (I have a few domains, so I just create forwarders for stuff like this). In the few days since doing this, the account has been "spammed" with 3D type stuff. All on topic so to speak, but annoying all the same and something to be aware of if you use your real email address.
So far the program seems easy to use/navigate. It runs fine on a really old P4 machine with 2Gig of RAM.
Going through the tutorials now. As with all 3D programs (so it seems anyway) they all have their own way of doing things. Once you get that sorted out (explained well in the tutorials) it is rather easy.....so far.

Anyone else give it a shot?
TINSTAAFL anyone ?
newtoon is offline Find More Posts by newtoon