HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
Help!
Castle ESC 9amp Screeching

I've got a 9 amp thunderbird esc plugged to an E-flite 250...Re-soldered all the leads except inside the ESC its self. Makes an awful screeching noise and just rattles back and fworth. Motor doesnt even get halfway to making a complete rotate. I'm on my phone so sorry if I'm mistyping words.I've attached a Facebook video link. If you can't see the video ill get it uploaded tonight...Thanks guys... http://www.facebook.com/video/video....36475619735092
fastjet is online now Find More Posts by fastjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
Facebook videos are private and only visible to friends. Try uploading it to Youtube instead.

It sounds like you need to change the ESC timing. It looks like you need this: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/field_link.html. That programming card (The one designated for flying, not driving, its blue) should allow you to change the timing; I don't know what timing a Park 250 motor needs however. You should probably just try all three timing settings (low, normal and high) for the ESC and see what happens. It looks like you can get the programming card from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/FIELD-LINK-Por...owViewpoints=1

-Shock
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Aug 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
874 Posts
This is a common problem with the TB9 ESC.

It just doesn't like to start with all motors. I also think that the TB9 does not have adjustable timing but could be wrong... In any case, check all the three motor connections first before swapping the ESC to something else.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:16 AM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
I just checked, Finnspeed is correct. The TB 9A ESC does not have adjustable timing. I have a Park 250, it runs great on an E-Flite 10A ESC. Its a heavier ESC, but they work well together.
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,930 Posts
If it does it with no prop attached then I would think it is a bad motor, esc or one of your connections.
Does the Park 250 have flexible wire, or is it the rigid enameled winding wire?
The letter can be quite tricky to get clean enough for good solder connections.

If you have any other ESCs or motors try swapping known good ones in to identify the bad component.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 03, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
I'll pull an ESC out of of something. This is actually the smallest plane I have. I'll see if I cam plug up a radian ESC...The wires are not rigid. The wires are flexible, but behind the motor they are pretty sturdy. I've wiggled them softly and still nothing. I called castle, they said send it in. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I guess I'll see what castle says when I ship it off. Hopefull they'll send a new one. After that I think I'll know what I'll do.....Bye bye.....
Again, thanks.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
Real quick, I wish I would have known this about the ESC...Should have read reviews instead of going for the lightest....Closed
Closed Thread