HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
144 Posts
Discussion
Adequate wire

I should have asked this question before I bought the wire but is 50 lb test good for a VICTOR MODEL A3 ? Its not going to be used for racing , just fun sailing. How do I know what lb test to buy for my boats? Thanks Mike
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.g. View Post
I should have asked this question before I bought the wire but is 50 lb test good for a VICTOR MODEL A3 ? Its not going to be used for racing , just fun sailing. How do I know what lb test to buy for my boats? Thanks Mike
It will be fine. Everything said on several threads has said 50 is more than most boats need. I doubt if anyone has ever put a stain gauge on a boat to know for sure but several people say 50 is plenty based on their experience.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:08 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,389 Posts
Mg
I can't image what circumstance would expose 50lbs of stress on any of these boat's standing or running rigging.
I like the Nylon SS leader for a number of reasons: it doesn't stretch, it is strong and provides a studier set up than some other material choices, it lasts a long time, and it looks great. What more could one ask? Oh and it is not expensive.

Posted a couple of pictures of my boats showing it installed. Hope this info is of value! If you click on the pictures a couple of times they will expand to give you a nice close up view.

Boomer

I use Surflon which can be found at most tackle shops
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2007
212 Posts
It's not the wire that generally fails, it's the crimp. I learned that early in my free sailing career, when my Marblehead rammed the side of Spreckles Lake at full tilt. I "X crimp" my wires and pull test to 60 lbs. The latter also has the advantage that it pre-stretches the wire.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21356790

Cheers,

Earl
Earl Boebert is online now Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:05 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Posted a couple of pictures of my boats showing it installed.
Boomer:

I always wondered how you had all those nice boats. Now I know...you have your own hobby store!

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:29 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,389 Posts
(Quote) Boomer:
I always wondered how you had all those nice boats. Now I know...you have your own hobby store!
FC (Quote)

FC,
I wish - the owner's of the this hobby shop, were buddies and they asked if they could display a few of my boats to help them promote RC boat sales. Was happy to help them out.

Here's another picture of the Seawind with my MLB in the back ground. Sadly my friends sold the shop

Was great while it lasted. Good eye
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1