HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:45 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
As part of the AJ blade appraisals on all the Crane Fly models, I dragged my much neglected Auto - G out of the hanger and dropped on a standard Crane Fly Lite flex plate with a set of cut down AJ blades.

Despite great activity in the garden which was centered on removing 42 boundary Conifers, I sneaked off to the field in lovely sunny sunshine and very light winds. After checking the controls were all full and free the Auto-G was placed on the grass runway, and the rotor enticed into life with a hand start followed by progressive increases in throttle .She rose into the air with no effort at all and climbed away in a very sure footed manner.

Throttling back for the cruise saw the stick at a little over half, so it was evident that the model needed modest power to maintain height .Left and right turns were equal in terms of predictability with no need to use elevator or rudder to turn around the circuit corners, the model flew light and easy and, also performed very well in the higher speed range including five consecutive loops without throttling back. Landings, touch and goes and Auto rotation, were a breeze, so it does appear that the CF AJ blades could well have universal application.

Tom
I had some trouble figuring out which of the blades AJ offer are the correct ones for the Auto-G. I've got an Auto-G2 coming from HK. I might not have ordered it if I'd known about the CF. Also, it would be really nice if the products from Coolwind and AJ were available from the same place for those of us on the left side of the Atlantic.

Was there any significant difference in flight characteristics for the Auto-G with the AJ blades compared to stock?

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Hi Owen
I will get back tomorrow.
Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Mar 26, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Owen
Have a word with AJ as they may be able to organize a single shipment to include parts from Coolwind.

My Auto- G fitted with the Coolwind conversion plate http://www.coolwind.co.uk/product/autog_conversion and cut down AJ 450 blades http://www.ajblades.co.uk/ performed very well but did need a little down elevator trim.

Tom.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
626 Posts
Quote:
Owen
Have a word with AJ as they may be able to organize a single shipment to include parts from Coolwind.

My Auto- G fitted with the Coolwind conversion plate http://www.coolwind.co.uk/product/autog_conversion and cut down AJ 450 blades http://www.ajblades.co.uk/ performed very well but did need a little down elevator trim.

Tom.
Thanks Tom.

The one question you didn't answer is how does the Auto-G with the AJ blades and Coolwind conversion plate compare to the stock setup for the Auto-G?

My Auto-G2 arrived today, but I have work to do.

If I like this, I'll probably be building a CF next.

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Mar 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Owen

I found the main advantage to be flex plate and rotor blade durability, although in my opinion the model felt lighter in the air, and the low speed performance was improved,but I did get a little more blade length by trimming the fin back ,so if the 450 AJs were cut back to the stock length I would imagine the performance would be very similar to a standard model.
If you have not flown an Auto gyro before such comparisons are probably academic as developing the basic techniques and disciplines necessary to fly the model as intended will be the things to concentrate on.
I hope you succeed with the Auto - G as once hooked these things they can become very addictive and very satisfying when mastered .

I is not a bad idea to cut your Auto gyro teeth on a couple of simple designs like the CF and AG as the larger heavier types can require considerable experience and result in expense and disappointment if things don't go as hoped, air time is the key to overcome orientation problems,and develop instinctive control inputs before things get out of hand, keeping in mind that some fixed wing instincts will not help.

Tom.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
626 Posts
Quote:
Owen

I found the main advantage to be flex plate and rotor blade durability, although in my opinion the model felt lighter in the air, and the low speed performance was improved,but I did get a little more blade length by trimming the fin back ,so if the 450 AJs were cut back to the stock length I would imagine the performance would be very similar to a standard model.
If you have not flown an Auto gyro before such comparisons are probably academic as developing the basic techniques and disciplines necessary to fly the model as intended will be the things to concentrate on.
I hope you succeed with the Auto - G as once hooked these things they can become very addictive and very satisfying when mastered .

I is not a bad idea to cut your Auto gyro teeth on a couple of simple designs like the CF and AG as the larger heavier types can require considerable experience and result in expense and disappointment if things don't go as hoped, air time is the key to overcome orientation problems,and develop instinctive control inputs before things get out of hand, keeping in mind that some fixed wing instincts will not help.

Tom.
Thanks, Tom.

I started assembling the Auto-G2 this morning before work. I'll let you know how it works out.
I'm mostly a fixed wing pilot, but have some experience with small fixed pitch helicopters. Not sure if that will help our not...

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Mar 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
I'm mostly a fixed wing pilot, but have some experience with small fixed pitch helicopters. Not sure if that will help our not...

Owen[/QUOTE]

Possibly not ; if the difference between powered and Auto gyro rotors is not taken into account, Simple Auto gyros do not take off vertically no matter how fast the rotors are spinning . Lift only occurs when the rotor is up to speed and the forward speed is sufficient.

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
626 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo

Owen
Possibly not ; if the difference between powered and Auto gyro rotors is not taken into account, Simple Auto gyros do not take off vertically no matter how fast the rotors are spinning . Lift only occurs when the rotor is up to speed and the forward speed is sufficient.

Tom.
Yes, I know that. Was more thinking of using the rudder for turns. Tend to be a bit lax about using the rudder on my fixed wing planes.

(Wot's this here do then?)

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Mar 27, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Owen

Fast 180 degree turns can be made by using the rudder, and although some would disagree I would suggest initial flights are made by coordinating throttle elevator and roll controls.
My AG will fly perfectly well just using the rudder to keep on line during ROG, once safety height is attained then if the power is then reduced and the elevator trimmed for fairly slow flight it allows thinking time and makes it easier to keep the model close enough in to avoid disorientation .Tearing about at high power settings during early attempts often ends in tears.
If you have an experienced Auto gyro pilot at your field this can be of great help, but if the model is correctly assembled and set up you should find it reasonably easy to get airborne, some find it quite easy and other perfectly good fixed wing pilots can find it difficult to avoid a maiden crash.
Just my thoughts if it's any help .

Tom.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
plans/kits?

Good afternoon everyone.
A newcomer here. I've 'played' with RTF/ARTFs aircraft and was looking for something more interesting to get my teeth into. Always having had an interest autogyros I found this forum thread and it makes facinating reading.

The Crane Fly and designs of its ilk look ideal for my purposes, but I'm finding it very hard to find plans. Many of the links posted seem to be dead - can anybody point me in the right direction?

I'm very much inclined toward tractor designs as they seem better suited to beginners, possibly to r/c scale in general?

Any/all help appreciated.
gasump is offline Find More Posts by gasump
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Hi Gas

Have a look here ....... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=cfl go to the first first post and click on the PDF arrow.

Tom.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:51 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
946 Posts
Hi Gasump,

I have a quick tip for you,

DO IT

You won't regret it and the Crane is a great 'entry level' model
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:57 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasump View Post
Good afternoon everyone.
A newcomer here. I've 'played' with RTF/ARTFs aircraft and was looking for something more interesting to get my teeth into. Always having had an interest autogyros I found this forum thread and it makes facinating reading.

The Crane Fly and designs of its ilk look ideal for my purposes, but I'm finding it very hard to find plans. Many of the links posted seem to be dead - can anybody point me in the right direction?

I'm very much inclined toward tractor designs as they seem better suited to beginners, possibly to r/c scale in general?

Any/all help appreciated.
I tried to get a sticky list of free plans stated here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782033
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Thanks for advice everyone. Plans downloaded!

Quote:
Hi Gas

Have a look here ....... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=cfl go to the first first post and click on the PDF arrow.

Tom.
gasump is offline Find More Posts by gasump