HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:25 PM
ProBro Wulf
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Discussion
AfterDark L.E.D. Lighting RBG Controller

AUW with none of the lights was 2Lbs 7 ounces. Add two 4000mah 2 cell lipos for a total AUW of 3 Lbs 7 ounces.

I used the led light strips from Value Hobby for $6 a pop 1 meter long.

The light sequencer from
http://www.afterdarkled.com/products...ntrollers.html will handle about 15 feet of led light strips,9-13 VDC and has 3 channels and a wireless Infared remote control. So you alternate what set of strips will flash on 1 of the 3 seperate channels. Mix up top wing,fuse and H stab on seperate channels as an example so the plane never goes dark on you. The remote and controller are actually designed to operate led strips that have 4 individual colors, white,blue,red,green built into one led. They sell those strips at afterdark. Using those strips the remote lets you select different hues of red,green or blue, mixing the colors by brightness to form the color hue you want.

I embedded one white led light strip inside the wings on the subspars,thru the rib lightning holes to give the wing a "glowing" effect" thru the top transparent covering. It looked real nice with the flames.

You can select fast,strobe,fade or smooth modes and vary the speeds by adjusting the brightness buttons on the remote. Or if you select white then all the lights will be on steady. I just used standard one color led light strips.

I taped the infared reciever unit to the top of the wing for adjusting during flight by a buddy or just setting it up and a seperate deans connector for the seperate 3 cell 800mah value hobby lipo for powering the lights and controller.

Lighting system weights are as follows:

After Dark LED 3 channel light controller = 18 grams
one meter value hobby led light strips = 12 grams
seperate 800mah VH lipo with Deans connector = 2 ounces. You can use a smaller pack I used what I had on hand.

I used 30 guage servo wire for the lighting and ran one piece thru the cf tube using one wire as positive and the 2 remaining wires as grounds on 2 seperate channels for the tail so the h stab lights would sequence seperately.

All wiring was the 30 guage servo wire and lots of it. I had a real birdsnest in the hatch but each was clearly identified with tape.

Anyway the light sequencer works great and can give you epileptic convulsions if set to the correct frequency.

I did the plane in my currently favorite pet peeve covering scheme for a flaming Castle Cremations look.

Thanks to Par and Mrs. Par for their help on selecting scheme pieces,positions and sizes. All trim was cut from transparent red Monokote on a piece of glass. Windexed over transparent yellow monokote and lightly ironed for some pieces.

AUW of the plane with all the lights, lighting controller seperate lipo etc came out to 4 Lbs one ounce. Not bad for a 40 sized slab with 10 miles of lighting wire on it.

The plane flew real nice for the 2 minutes and 43 seconds before I dumb thumbed it like a dumb ass. Oh well I have all winter to do another.
Wulf_Flieger is offline Find More Posts by Wulf_Flieger
to remove ads between posts