HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2013, 05:41 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,424 Posts
What to do waiting for 2014!

Being past the age of getting sozzled on News Eve () I finished up my modified flap servos and linkages. The original used hidden linkage with bell-cranks back to a central servo. I planned on separate flap servos and set things up accordingly BUT when it came to fit the servos, I couldn't see an easy and accessible way to connect the servo to the flap...... So, in the best tradition of stand-off scale, I made some new ply external horns and mounted the servos in the usual sport-scale way - on hatches under the wing with external links. No problems but with the servos mounted like aileron ones, a Y-lead now moved them in opposite directions (of course) and so I'll need to use an extra channel and a mixer in the tranny. Or maybe there is such a thing as a servo reverser. The servos are HS82MG equivalents - they are digital but I don't think, programmable........

So now all the control surfaces are hinged in place and will no longer fall out when I pick the wing up! As I don't remember trying out the nacelles to see if everything fitted , the Power 25 motor, 60 amp esc and a 3/4S 3600 LIPO were installed and it seems to fit - tight but OK.

So, some progress.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:27 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,490 Posts
Y leads with a servo reverser in one leg are available.

Beautiful work as usual, Pat.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:58 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,424 Posts
New Years Resolution - fix the flaps...

Thanks Larry - I had a look at the servo reverser and decided to go another way - reverse the servo! Because I'd already pre-determined the servo hatch placements, the physical servo didn't have enough room to be flipped 180 deg to match it's partner on the other wing. Or did it........

There was just enough space to fit a servo between the rear of the engine nacelle and where the servo horn exit needed to be so.......a bit of sawing, filing cutting and rebuilding and the two flap servos now face the same direction and can be coupled via Y lead A bit of making-good still needed but the surface finish on this beast was never F4c scale comp anyway so will be easy to restore. An underside repaint is scheduled down the track......

Now the retracts, flaps and UC all work, I might even connect up the lights before moving on. The wiring is buried in the wing tips and LE somewhere. I guess LED switch kits are available for rc use.........

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:38 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,490 Posts
I'd like to see an ARF flyer make a mod like that. One of the benefits of rolling your own.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:56 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,762 Posts
Yep, no substitute for having the skills to build. 50% of the hobby IMHO
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member