HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:22 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,360 Posts
Congrats 6 !

Mine is almost RTF. Honestly ? I'm a little disappointed in this model in comparison to other balsa arf's I've built. Pretty flimsy IMO. I went around and CA'd every joint I could find.
The wheel wells are a disgrace. The thin balsa crumbles away. I'd think they would have used a formed plastic pocket. Not sure it will help but I did stuff some styrofoam blocks to fill the area under the balsa mounting runners. Might help absorb some of the shock. We'll see

The tabs to mount the servo trays are very weak. I Ca'd these.

For the mains, I modded -up some Dubro 5/32 wire nose gear. These have the coiled spring. Had to cut to length and drill out the wheel hubs. MacGyvered clearance for the spring coils. I did buy some metal trunnion retracts as my past experience with the plastic jobs has not been good. Plus, the thin wire will not stand a chance on grass. Not installing gear covers/pants. Might just paint the exposed balsa and be done with it.

Not crazy about the way the canopy went together either. Kind of a PITA. But ? What it has going for her is that she's an usual RC model that you don't see every day.

I am going to use an Orange 3 axis gyro/rx combo. Figure I'll need all the help I can get. LOL

I do have an ext UBEC and the linear BEC working in tandem with a buss-tie circuit. If one fails, the other takes over. Motor is a Turnigy SK3 1000KV with a 50 Amp ESC. Should be ample power. Starting off with a 12 x 8 prop.

Cheers,

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:02 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Maidened my Swift yesterday and happy to report, she flies very nice! Had 3 flights and two greaser landings...the last one, not as greasy! It didn't take much of a hard landing to pop out one of the main lg, despite pre-emptory reinforcing, so I have some minor repair/modding to do. That being said, do any of you have pictures or suggestions as to the best way to build up support for the lg? BTW, I recall reading somewhere back in this thread a fellas maiden flight didn't go too well as the plane rolled to the left on take off. While I did get it airborne with no problems, it did want to roll left in flight...so much so that I ran out of trim adjustment.
Short of ripping off the wing sheeting [which we all may have to do], it's really hard to do a proper job reinforcing the main landing gear mounts. I guess we got what we asked for, cheap ARF built by Chinese labor. I remember when ARF's first came on the scene, and they were generally pretty good. These days it's all about the buck. Sorry, straying off topic.

Anyway, check the right wing for proper washout (since it rolls left). You might give the right wing a little twist [trailing edge up…leading edge down…for washout] and reheat the covering to set it.

You also might try using some contrasting adhesive trim stripes on the wing to help with orientation. Remember, there won't be much help if they are on the bottom, as it's usually always upright and the bottom colors are "in the shade" and contrast won't be as effective.

Sam
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:23 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
Thanks DaHawk and flyboy. Dahawk...looks like you took a picture of my lg! Exactly the same. I like the foam idea, and so what is beginning to form in my mind as a repair will be some combination of plywood, balsa/hardwood sticks and Gorilla Glue. I have become a major fan of GG because of its tenacity and that it expands to fill spaces. I'm pretty sure I will come up with something that will be robust. I'll take pics as I go along.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:10 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,360 Posts
Yikes on correcting washout ! Hoping not to go there. Not something I was planning to do.

I'll give her a try and see how she goes. As long as she doesn't snap left, I can live with that.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
I started peeling back the covering, but it's kinda like peeling an onion...hard to stop. I expect more will come off. Gotta say, the framework is pretty thin. I'm way open to suggestions from you guys for how to proceed with the beefin' up. I have built one stick balsa plane in my life and covered it, so I can do it.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:55 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
278 Posts
Are you heating the covering as you peel it off?
Sessholvlaru is online now Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
No...it's actually peeling off with almost no resistance.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:23 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,360 Posts
Oh baby, Katie bar the door !

Looks like you've gone past the point of no return. lol I guess with her stripped down you could address several of the aforementioned issues like washout, better sheeting, beefing up the lg supports, etc. Make the plane better all around including scale appearance.

Good luck ! I'm hoping to maiden mine this weekend.

-Hawk
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
126 Posts
6Sally,

I'm sorry to see that you have to go to such lengths to make usable something that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. Regarding beefing up the structure, my recommendation [as a long-time balsa builder] is to use lite-ply (1/8" or 3/32") wherever possible for gear attachment areas. Also, some balsa triangle-stock to help mount/distribute loads to the surrounding structures (balsa sheeting, spruce spars, etc.), and use 5- or 30-minute epoxy to attach all gear mounts (NOT C/A). I think I read earlier about Gorilla Glue. I don't have any experience using GG, but I'm old fashioned and use what I know (2-part epoxy, Titebond, and thin/thick CA). GG is probably just fine, so long as it's a thick viscosity (I think they have some thin varieties, too, don't use that).

Keep us posted,
Sam Swift
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
Thanks Sam for the tips. I'm thinking that first I will double up the thickness of the ribs that surround the mounts because I will need a strong perpendicular attachment that will withstand the shock of landings. Next, after replacing the 1/16th" balsa sheeting of the underside of the top surface of the wing (yep...more covering coming off), I will lay some thin ply on top of that for floor strength that the bottom of the retract mounting blocks will be epoxied to. Here is a really crummy diagram I tried to do in Paint, but it may give you an idea what I have in mind.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:15 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Hawk, are you looking to maiden on Sat. or Sunday?

Ron
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Mar 01, 2014, 05:22 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,360 Posts
Hi Ron,

Might not take the Globe up yet. Have an EMB 312 Tucano at the head of the flight line . LOL Short window of weather. http://www.windfinder.com/weatherfor...grapevine_lake
Sunday looks awful.

-Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; Mar 01, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
Ok guys...all done and flew last weekend. With all the messing around with it, I re-set all my control surfaces back to neutral to start trim all over again. Here are a bunch of sequential pics of the repair and re-strengthening of the lg. Please keep in mind this is the second time I've ever covered anything with mono cote ( all my planes are foamies), so please excuse some things. I am pretty confident, though with my efforts to strengthen the gear support areas.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
618 Posts
Another thing I have yet to resolve, and I'm asking for opinions not only of what I am suggesting, but what any of you may think looks better. A mostly all black plane, to me, is asking for disorientation, so I'm thinking of adding a white stripe or slash...something to make it easier to see. In these pics, I've simply reproduced the same picture after touching it up in Paint, so it's not actually done yet.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:35 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,360 Posts

I would do both wings like you show in the middle pic but that's just me.

Hawk