SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:23 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
295 Posts
Discussion
A boat for a friend

Good day ..I am doing research for a friend of mine.I have a Newport 12m and a 1/96 scale LST Scratch build.. I was sailing the Newport and he fell in love with it until he found out what it weighs .what I am looking for is plans or laser cut semi scale sail boat,plank on frame, single mast, R/C,2.5 to 3ft (2.5ft best)long in hull ballast( no extended keel/bulb) do to slightly weeded ponds and wants it for display when not in use,over size keel is ok. He is looking for the older stile of deckhouse wood decks brass rails that type of detail. When we where talking about this I want to build one. But I want to install a small motor and prop for docking or dead wind. I may have a few more fellas wanting to build one too
liljimmy is offline Find More Posts by liljimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:06 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,583 Posts
Your question may have already been answered for you in the Sailboats forum. There's a few here in scale sail that will probably offer advice (I'm not up on what's available now-a-days), but you should search in there in the meantime.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 17, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:44 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,393 Posts
Few model sailboats in the 2.5-3' hull range will sail well w/o external ballast. Your friend will be severely limited in wind range (light airs only), and progress to windward will be weak (water and lift don't scale). Schooners in the 6' hull range will work w/o extended keels, but still require a ballast bulb, at least the ones I've seen or read about. One nice thing about a bulb keel: you can take it off for transport, and install it pond side; I do this with all of my sail boats, from 1' hulls to 3' hulls. Just lay the boat on a picnic table and screw or bolt on the keel.

As far as seaweed goes, it can trap a flat-bottomed barge - been there done that :-). A rocker hull with draft may shed some weed, certainly better than a boat with an extended fin-keel. But you need a large hull to getaway with this. But sooner or later your friend will be wading out to rescue his seaweed-trapped boat no matter what keel he installs. Best to find a better, weed-free pond, I think. And forget about propellers - they foul with weed in a heartbeat.

The pond I sail on has areas with weed, and areas without (4 acre pond). Once you learn the trouble spots, you can avoid them. My fin-keel boats don't get trapped very often. And they sail so much better with fin-keels, that maneuvering to avoid seaweed areas is easier than if the boats didn't sail efficiently.

Hope this helps.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:03 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
295 Posts
I think I found the boat that I was looking for but it's a little pricey for a first timer. The shipping is a bit on the high side from France. He would also like to "build" his own hull. I have been web,crawling around to fined a set of hull lines for it,but so far can't fined any.has any one seen any for sale or down load?
It called a youpi one design class from France ... It's a nice looking craft
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:19 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,393 Posts
If you go to rcgroups "Sailboats" forum, and search the forum for "youpi" you will find several threads. They are very pretty boats, to be sure :-).

The hulls and sailplan remind me of the large America's cup racers of the 1920-30's. If you look at Thomas Lipton's boats, "Shamrock" iterations,for instance, you will likely find the hull lines and sailplans you are seeking. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_(yacht)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:49 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
295 Posts
Thanx for the information
Up date. My friend has decided on the Dark Harbor 17 it is a plank on frame kit. http://www.hobbyworldinc.com/woodship03.html from what I found out about it can be built as a pond sail or a display model. The price is not bad and I may get one for myself. Has any one built this kit or have any parts sheet /build plans for it? I have emailed hobby world for a request for information ( yesterday )