HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:23 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Discussion
Variable pitch props with thrust vectoring

I've always wanted to do a variable pitch prop on a thrust vectoring motor mount. I'm not quite sure what I would need or how to set this up. I ordered a thrust vectoring mount with motor and a variable pitch prop (without the hollow motor shaft) from hobbyking. I'm assuming I would have to mount the servo for the variable pitch prop on the thrust vectoring motor mount. Then set the radio up in heli mode, use the variable pitch servo as you would pitch on a heli. Either use a Y harness for rudder and thrust vectoring or plug the thrust vectoring servo into auxilary channel and mix it with rudder. Am I even in the ballpark here or totally way off? Would it be easier to use a swash plate to accomplish this? I saw hobbyking has a thrust vectoring mount that also moves up and down, side to side, but is out of stock. Maybe a camera gimbal would work? Any ideas? If anybody could point me in the right direction, explain the programming set up and the parts needed I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:30 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
You will mount the pitch servo on the mount. Your VT servo will be mixed to your rudder.(allowing more "expo" to be put on the VT)

You are quite close. I have the VT mount from Xtreme Foamies. It's great!(complete and pretty cheap)

See this video:
Aurora9 VPP (Variable Pitch Prop) Setup (6 min 38 sec)

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old May 05, 2014, 08:55 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Thanks for the info! I got the hobbyking order today, everything looks good so far. I'm going to have to modify 2 things to make this work (I think), first is the motor shaft. The thing is too short, gonna put a longer one in. Second is the motor mounts backwards on the vpp mount, need spacers to attach the vpp mount to the thrust vectoring mount. I think I'm just gonna put the shaft on the motor and use the vpp system for now, see if it's any good. If everything works well I'll add the thrust vectoring mount. I still have a few questions- the motor is 100 watt 1500kv going on a 6 ounce biplane, 32", 3mm depron. What size servo would be good for the vpp prop? I have some hitec hs55, everything else I have is too big or too small. I was thinking of using a 3 axis gyro receiver but don't know if this is a good idea or not. When I get to the thrust vectoring mount, what servo should I use? I think the instructions say a 5-8 gram servo, just not sure if I should go for torque or speed.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:13 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Looks good. You want a fast servo for the pitch. Either an HS45, or I used an HEX500.(not the best but not bad)

VT servos should be something like the Futaba S3114.

Free
Old May 07, 2014, 11:35 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I think I'm gonna build a RT sirius 11 and use 4 turnigy 3.7 gram digital servos, 2 futaba s3114 for vpp and thrust vectoring, 10 amp esc (2 amp bec) and the hobbyking 2206 1500kv 100 watt motor on 2s lipos. Before I get started, should I swap the turnigy servos for something better? Is a 2 amp bec good enough for 6 servos?
Old May 10, 2014, 04:00 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I got the mount done. The thrust vector mount with motor was $20, the vpp system is around $25 and I paid $25 for two futaba s3114 servos. Not too bad for $70. I got all the programming worked out (thanks again) and it's ready for action. Flight mode 1 is setup for normal flying, no reverse thrust or thrust vectoring. Flight mode 2 has thrust vectoring and a little reverse thrust. Flight mode 3 has a lot of reverse thrust and thrust vectoring. I can't wait to try it!
Old May 16, 2014, 03:35 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I finally glued the mount on, everything is looking great so far. The hobbyking 1500kv motor that comes with the thrust vectoring mount is rated at 100 watts. With the 9" blades on 2s it's just under 80 watts, on reverse thrust it's at 55 watts. I could probably add a little more pitch if I need more power. Hopefully I'll test fly it soon.
Old May 17, 2014, 08:53 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I got a few test flights in today, everything went well. I need a little more reverse thrust as I had just enough to hover nose down, not enough to back up. It was much easier to manage than I thought and some of crazy stuff this thing is capable of blows me away. In the first few flights I was hovering nose down, reverse flat spins, hovering tic tocs and knife edge loops so tight the plane just spins. This thing is insane, takes flying to a whole new level!
Old May 17, 2014, 10:17 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Pics?

Video?

Free
Old May 18, 2014, 12:19 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
No video yet but I'm working on it.
Last edited by slo-fly; May 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:58 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
After a few light modifications I was able to get the reverse pitch up to 83 watts, normal pitch is around 80 watts. The prop should have more than enough pitch to back up now.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:31 AM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2013
851 Posts
Looks like HobbyKing does it again. That VPP setup looks identical to the mamo setup. This is the kind of stuff that makes me dislike HobbyKing very much. I get it, people want to save money so they support HobbyKing. I on the other hand refuse to buy from them because they have no respect for others hard work and innovations.

I paid much more for the real mamo upside down kit, to see this kind of tics me off. Sorry to step on your thread, good luck with your project. AKf
akfreak is offline Find More Posts by akfreak
Old Jun 08, 2014, 12:36 AM
Joined Jun 2008
182 Posts
akfreak,

You are sliding down a slippery slope. I wonder if you apply this same gripe to every other product in the world? Cars, paper, tools, food, medicine, shoes?

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:28 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
Looks like HobbyKing does it again. That VPP setup looks identical to the mamo setup. This is the kind of stuff that makes me dislike HobbyKing very much. I get it, people want to save money so they support HobbyKing. I on the other hand refuse to buy from them because they have no respect for others hard work and innovations.

I paid much more for the real mamo upside down kit, to see this kind of tics me off. Sorry to step on your thread, good luck with your project. AKf
Ive never saved any $$$ buying anything from hobby king, Everything is such low quality it breaks before I can even get my $10 out of it.

Couldn't resist:
China - Land of the Fakes : The Chinese are very good at this sort of thing... (2 min 23 sec)

Sorry to continue with the thread hijacking, I'll post some pics of my VTVPP mounts in a bit.

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisBowker; Jun 10, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:33 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
287 Posts
heres my latest vpp vt plane
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095